OMG..Engine Malfunction!! *FINAL UPDATE*!!

jerry3167

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I putting my money on faulty lambda sensors :surrender:

agreed, i bet if you look in the current O2 sensor it probably requires something like an anti fowler, just to lift the sensor out abit. as the increased airflow is more than it can deal with

I'd be leaning on it needing anti-foulers too. I'm guessing thats that Alex has told you so worth a shot. If Nissan have checked the Cats and they are happy they are working properly, my guess is the O2 sensor doesnt like high flow cats.

With regard to whether it is safe to drive or not, I would assume it is. It sounds like its just an emmisions thing its moaning about. Best to double check with Nissan (to keep the warrenty sweet) but they should say the same :)

Just back from NISSAN, and the top tech printed off the FAULT sheet as follow:

DTC P0420,P00430 - Three way catalyst function

Trouble diagnosis name - Catalyst system efficiency below threshhold

DTC detecting condition - 1. Three way catalyst 1 does not operate properly

2. Three way catalyst 1 does not have enough oxygen storage capacity

Possible Cause - 1. Three way catalyst 1

2. Exhaust tube

3. Intake Air Leaks

4. Fuel injector

5. Fuel injector leaks

6. Spark Plug

7. Improper ignition Timing.

When the frequency ratio of air fuel ratio (A/F)SENSOR 1 and heated oxygen sensor 2 approaches a specified limit value, the three way catalyst 1 malfunction is diagnosed.

The sheet was pretty detailed, and had a diagram of the catalysts, sensor positions etc!!

Anyway, the light is now off, and the Z is booked in for next wednesday, for which I will get an 08 Zed to drive around in :yahoo: and they will check the Plennum spacer to make sure there are NO air leaks etc, as this is one of the odds on favourite to be the cause, NOT the cats!

Fingers crossed!!

Jerry :headhurt:

*STOP PRESS* Found out that the previous owner had the spacer fitted december 08, and the engine light has been recorded as coming on, and corrected under warranty.

Im beginning to think that the Spacer has a fault or it hasnt been fitted correctly...

Hummmm.... good result on the wteeee...

But I think, and judging from the report, your car is running lean as it would as the air flow has increased.... (Mine is the same with the same codes!) Not sure they will, or can increase the fuel flow unless they fit bigger injectors/ piggy back....

Intrested in the results though and what they do to solve...

Hi Jerry, How did you get on at Nissan - any phone calls from them today on the progress (surprised they need it for two days)? What year is your car and did they agree to fix the clicking rear axle under warranty? Mine is an 05 year (with extended mfr warranty) and there is a technical service bulletin for 2003 and 2004 car but for some reason not 2005, so not sure whether they would try to riggle out of fixing my rear axle despite it being a common problem all ALL mfr years as they all share the same rear axle.

Good luck with it all.

Hi Guys,

Well, the Z is with the men in white coats at Nissan, no word or update as yet, but I am hopeful that they will resolve the issues I am experiencing.

I did indeed get my Z with the Plennum spacer, High flow cats etc, and was lucky to get the 2 year warranty with all the bits!

Im expecting a call tomorrow regarding the engine light situation, hopefully, they will have the exact cause after the process of elimination.

As for the REAR AXLE CLICKY thing, they know there is the updated repair kit as sold by Zmanalex, and I have insisted that it is used to fix the fault, I did emphasise that it was a temporary fix, just greasing the part, and wouldnt it be better to do the repair properly ;) But I guess, they saw the logic of what I was saying, but its down to Nissan and cost.

Lets wait and see..

Just FYI and I dont want to burst any bubbles but there was a fairly heated debate on the 350z forums a few years ago about an owner that had bought a car with a pully fitted by a nissan dealer.... It didnt go his way...

The wtee says any modifications invalidate the wtee... If you have an extended wtee then this will only cover the car and you will have issues if you mod it... If its the same AA one I have then they probably didnt inform them when they set the wtee up and the AA wtee will only cover a stock car...The wtee they have given you is an "Ancaster" wtee and nothing to do with Nissan... Nissan didnt sell it like that.... a franchise sold it like that and if there is an issue Nissan will distance themselves from the issue... NMGB will have nothing to do with the car and rightly so!

I know there is the point about proving the mod has proved the problem but dont think it holds any water over here... by buying the car you agree to the wtee even though you probably never read it and wernt asked to sign it... by signing the agreement with the dealer to purchase you agreed to all the terms and conditions!

Also, your problems may be from the aftermarket parts, but not real "problems" and wont be able to be fixed by nissan as they only have the consult software that they work from. They may be able to use consult to change the settings on the ECU (dont know if they can... anyone who knows please advise...) ie to increase the fuel flow. The "issue" may only be fixed by a reflash or piggyback.... And I for one would not want a Micra enginner trying to fit and map one of them... And I doubt they would do that to fix the issue.. they would probably just replace the offending parts with stock or just stop the error showing!

Jerry, Still think its strange we both have the same setup and are showing the light for the same reason... Must mean our zorsts and cats flow better!!! Anyone else with a 5zigen, kenitix hiflows and aftermarket CAI had the same?

NOTE: the words "you" on this wernt aimed at Jerry, "you" is just general and aimed at noone in perticular!

Jerry, Still think its strange we both have the same setup and are showing the light for the same reason...

Looks like you both will be buying my 02 simulators very soon. :lol::lol::lol:

I may need a set aswell :lol:

Different codes though but still cat related

Jerry, Still think its strange we both have the same setup and are showing the light for the same reason...

Looks like you both will be buying my 02 simulators very soon. :lol::lol::lol:

I may need a set aswell :lol:

Different codes though but still cat related

No sweat, got 6 pairs coming. :thumbs: