OMG..Engine Malfunction!! *FINAL UPDATE*!!

jerry3167

:scare: Guys, Have noticed that my Engine malfunction Check light had come on steady (not blinking), anyone know what this means, manual says to get NISSAN to inspect it as soon as practicable...I have 2 yrs Nissan warranty, god, I hope its covered for something like this???

Opinions?

Jerry :surrender:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pull your fault codes Jerry :thumbs:

Hi Alex,

How to get fault codes?

Plug in a fault code reader to the port mate but do not clear them. :thumbs:

What mods you been doing to bring this on then.

:blush:

NO MODS M8, Z already had exhaust and pop charger only, to my knowledge!!

I get this with mine. It comes on for a week - then goes away. Then comes on, then goes away. Happened after the first uprated exhaust was fitted. K&N Typhoon, colder sparks, plenum spacer, *another* exhaust and 5w 30 Castrol Edge seems to have completely bamboozled my ECU now :)

Nissan said that the uprated exhaust system was causing the O2 sensor on one of the CATS to have a few issues with what it was reading (ie outside the 'OEM' thresholds). I have no concern about the constant CEL - lots of people on here seem to get this after mods :) If it starts blinking, i will start to worry. TBH Nissan probably should have just put a 'MOD' light on the dashboard that glows when you modify your car..... :teeth:

I was planning on getting a obd2 reader but didn't get round to it. You may find someone local with one or go to nissan to get it read.

My guesses are

1. - the O2 sensor on the exhaust, probably fixable with an anti fouler.

2. - throttle body. Possibly a sticky buterfly valve. Should be fixed by doing the throttle position reset.

Doubt it's anything serious.

Can read your own fault codes with he edu rest procedure but it's more of a skill than just plugging in the obd2 reader

I was planning on getting a obd2 reader but didn't get round to it. You may find someone local with one or go to nissan to get it read.

My guesses are

1. - the O2 sensor on the exhaust, probably fixable with an anti fouler.

2. - throttle body. Possibly a sticky buterfly valve. Should be fixed by doing the throttle position reset.

Doubt it's anything serious.

Can read your own fault codes with he edu rest procedure but it's more of a skill than just plugging in the obd2 reader

:scare: Guys, Have noticed that my Engine malfunction Check light had come on steady (not blinking), anyone know what this means, manual says to get NISSAN to inspect it as soon as practicable...I have 2 yrs Nissan warranty, god, I hope its covered for something like this???

Opinions?

Jerry :surrender:

Given your mods it's extremely unlikely to be serious in my view. Most CELs with mods are as a result of pre and post cat sensors objecting (ie not acting in a predictable, consistent manner)

I would highly recommend just doing an ECU reset (details here) and if, and only if, the problem recurs going to the dealer - merely based on having better options on which to spend your hard-earned :thumbs:

:thumbs: Thanks to all with possible ideas about whats caused this! It seems Im not the only one. I do hope they dont try to sting me for cash, the Z has a warranty for 2 years, surely this would be covered?

The car certainly drives fine, when this light started coming on, but its annoying to see it lit on the dials :headhurt:

I will take her to the Stealers tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Cheers all,

Jerry :)

I do hope they dont try to sting me for cash, the Z has a warranty for 2 years, surely this would be covered?

Maybe, maybe not. Depends what it is, and if it's something like an air-leak post-MAF due to the Popcharger not fitting quite right then they'll charge you for both the reading of the CEL and fixing the issue. Of course, if it's something mentioned above (which it probably is) then you'll probably be okay.

:surrender: The thing is, I bought the Z with the exhaust and Popcharger already fitted to the car, and the thing is, THEY (Ancaster) fitted these mods for the previous owner!!

Looks like it could be a win win situation. :thumbs:

:surrender: The thing is, I bought the Z with the exhaust and Popcharger already fitted to the car, and the thing is, THEY (Ancaster) fitted these mods for the previous owner!!

Looks like it could be a win win situation. :thumbs:

I have done NOTHING to the car at the moment, cept the LED lights, but dont think LED lights would make the Malfunction light come on :headhurt:

Alex, I hope it is a win/win situation!

They might have fitted them then, but unless they've only been on less than, say, three months, they could well argue that something came loose or has now broken and needs fixing etc. Probably won't if they fitted them in the first place, but they could.

In all honesty, you'd be better off getting a code reader off eBay (or even the RAC one out of the Argos catalogue) and reading the code yourself, letting someone on here diagnose it for you and then sort the problem yourself. At least you'd then start having an idea about your car and how to fix simple things without incurring the expense of a garage, if at all possible. We all gotta start somewhere matey, no harm in giving it a try yourself and then asking for help at all :thumbs:

Thanks guys, I hope your guesses are right!

Ive only the Z less than 4 weeks, and paid good money for her, on top of that I got 2 yrs Nissan so-called Nissan warranty with her, and feel they should be obliged to me, if there is a fault covered by it. I do see myself going down the self-diagnosis route, and maybe I will get an ECU reader for the future, but if there is something im not sure about, Im going to get Nissan to look at it especially as its not my fault, and obviously something is wrong somewhere. Maybe it is a case of re-setting the ECU or 02 lambda sensor..

Guys,

Just been to NISSAN to have the Z looked at, and sure enough their top tech plugged in an official looking Reader device to a port under the drivers side. He began the diagnostic and proceeded to hold the engine at certain revs while making notes to my utter surprise he came out with:

"The High Flow Kinetix Cats are working perfectly at the moment"..

to which I replied "OMG..are you saying that I have High flow cats"?

He said " Yes, you have, I should know, because I FITTED THEM"!!

I could only say "Jeez, no one told me about the cats"?

So, I guess its another bonus with my Z, for which I can only be grateful for.

Anyway, onto the diagnostic readout which is as follows according to the slip of paper he gave me:

SRT STATUS

Catalyst - Complete

HO2S HTR - Complete

HO2S - Incomplete.

He told me the cats were working fine, as the first 2 readings were Complete, the only test left to do is the 60mph road test for 20secs, off accelerator for 3 secs, then back on and 60mph again.

This will complete the HO2S test and prove if there is any fault.

Must admit that Nissan were very good here, and they surprised me very much, not just with the bonus of the High flow cats ,but the service today.

Those of you who have read my earlier posts will know that I bought the Z with a 5Zigen Pro-racer exhaust system and pop charger already fitted, nice bonuses.

Jerry :thumbs: