Which Haltech ECU should I have fitted and by who?

givememorepower

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only advice on this is to do your upgrades first and then do the Piggy Back as the tune is based on what you have, will save you paying for tuning and dynotime everytime you put a mod on...

You of course may have considered that!!

Yeah I'd go with that. I guess you could argue get it first and get some gains (surely tiny) then another map when you've added a decent amount of mods.

Does anyone in the UK have any real figures for fitting this stuff though? It seems like crazy money to spend on 20BHP, unless you are planning to go FI in the future.

Guys, do bear in mind that with NA mapping ultimate power at the top end isn't the be all and end all final goal: What you're essentially aiming for is more torque in the midrange to give the car more shove as a daily drive/weekend fun car. You may only gain 5-10 bhp at the top end, but if you got another 20-30 lb/ft of torque between 3000-6000 RPM you'd have a worthwhile mod.

Also worth thinking about is who's actually doing the tuning, and whether they've any real experience with both the car/engine and the replacement ECU. I've never heard of either of the names mentioned in this thread but that's probably my ignorance there, but have they ever tuned a Haltech ECU? And on the Zed specifically? A bad tune will kill your car far quicker than anything else or leave you with much less power than is actually available.

I'd happily travel 500 miles for a place that did a decent tune.

I am gaggingly interested on this. Phil says that they aren't worth the money for the BHP gain (but to be fair, what sub-£6K mods really are for the Z), but it's torque I want, not top speed. My only concern is to keep a smooth running car as well.

I will be fascinated to hear what your experiences are!

I'll be posting up prices once it's all tuned up - will be a few weeks yet though as I am waiting on another order :(

I am getting the kangaroo as a step along the FI route which I intend to go down next year - so in that context I think it will be reasonable value ;)

I'll be posting up prices once it's all tuned up - will be a few weeks yet though as I am waiting on another order :(

I am getting the kangaroo as a step along the FI route which I intend to go down next year - so in that context I think it will be reasonable value ;)

Keep me posted, would be VERY interested with the results!

B)

(had some issues with mine...)