Which Haltech ECU should I have fitted and by who?

givememorepower

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks like a decent hike. Any idea on the £/lb or £/bhp for the increase? I think the increase in torque is more impressive than the increase in bhp, but thats what was expected. Would be interesting to see the cost of this is worth while if you are not planning to go FI ;)

Digsy, this is from the blog though i know that may or may not be as accurate as it could be :)

This test used a 350Z which was otherwise standard except for a Nismo exhaust system, so that we could determine the effects of transfering the tuning priority away from emissions and towards performance.

I have nismo catback, kinetix highflow cats, kinetix plenum - I am using standard air intake with a K&N filter.

I am not sure it would be worth it unless you plan on a FI or hefty NA build, I will be posting up the costs next week once it's all finalised, but as a rough idea the ECU is £965+vat and TDI charge £90 an hour for dyno tuning time... there are cheaper ECU options!

if you were going FI would there be an advantage in getting the ECU before hand?

The torque does look like magic :)

my thinking in getting it done before hand is that I can get a feel for how TDI work and start building a relationship with them, as well as spreading a little of the cost of upgrading... for me it's something I intend to build on over the coming year :)

will do - its going in next monday ;)

I wait with baited breath!

Probably missed this but who is doing the work for you? And what dyno do they have?

Will be nice to see results from a more well known member on a proven dyno :thumbs:

TDI in essex are doing it.. not sure what to expect, but I view it is a base on which to build :)

they have a "Rototest VPA-R chassis dynamometer".. I believe it is pretty decent ;)

http://www.tdi-plc.com/index.php?pge=C_dynocam

hmm just read the notes about it:

"the Haltech also allows speed limit cancellation", that's not true as for a JPM model and don't think it does it for the UK either *can't confirm this. Might be released in another firmware release though.

Looked at those figures seem pretty modest increase in HP too... Think I need to go for a visit :D

B)

OK - picked up the car this morning and drove it home (about an hour)... the car is much more driveable than ever really, picking up much much better from 3000-4000 rpm particularly (and also not tailing off past 6000 although I only got to try that once!).. gathering speed from 80 to 100 in 5th on the motorway it feels significantly improved - you put your foot down and stuff seems to happen quite a bit more quickly.. I would say the car is 10% faster :lol:

the car starts and runs perfectly fine and there are no problems noted so far! both me and TDI were pleased with the results, especially in the torque curve!

to give some indication of the cost:

total cost is hard to quantify as I had some other work done at the same time, however fitting the ECU must be under an hour and TDI used 3.5 hour of dyno time to tune the ECU (most of the gains came from adjusting cam timing) at £95 an hour..

so lets say 400 quid fitting/tuning and the ECU was 965 - and then add VAT = £1570 :)

more impressions will surely follow over the coming week or two :)

OK - picked up the car this morning and drove it home (about an hour)... the car is much more driveable than ever really, picking up much much better from 3000-4000 rpm particularly (and also not tailing off past 6000 although I only got to try that once!).. gathering speed from 80 to 100 in 5th on the motorway it feels significantly improved - you put your foot down and stuff seems to happen quite a bit more quickly.. I would say the car is 10% faster :lol:

the car starts and runs perfectly fine and there are no problems noted so far! both me and TDI were pleased with the results, especially in the torque curve!

to give some indication of the cost:

total cost is hard to quantify as I had some other work done at the same time, however fitting the ECU must be under an hour and TDI used 3.5 hour of dyno time to tune the ECU (most of the gains came from adjusting cam timing) at £95 an hour..

so lets say 400 quid fitting/tuning and the ECU was 965 - and then add VAT = £1570 :)

more impressions will surely follow over the coming week or two :)

:thumbs: Dyno results?

3.5 hours dyno? That's fast working :headhurt: , sound writeup!

and yep 3.5 hours seems fast to me too but they appear to have done a good job (and they had tuned a Haltech G35 before) :)

If they had seen a G35 before and tuned it with Haltech, assuming they had similar mods to you, then they would be able to tune it quickly. Will also benefit others who do the same as you now, as they have your map as a base, so anyone going with similar mods might get it done even quicker :thumbs:

and yep 3.5 hours seems fast to me too but they appear to have done a good job (and they had tuned a Haltech G35 before) :)

If they had seen a G35 before and tuned it with Haltech, assuming they had similar mods to you, then they would be able to tune it quickly. Will also benefit others who do the same as you now, as they have your map as a base, so anyone going with similar mods might get it done even quicker :thumbs:

Not a pro in this area but heard you cannot really use maps between cars anyway since there will be certain difference that can't be accounted for? Pingu, do you have access to the ecu or is it locked down?

:dry:

(sorry ment to say not 100% exchangable...)

Not a pro in this area but heard you cannot really use maps between cars anyway since there will be certain difference that can't be accounted for? Pingu, do you have access to the ecu or is it locked down?

:dry:

(sorry ment to say not 100% exchangable...)

No idea in this car, but on my old Leon, you used to be able to get different "Stage" tunes for the mods you had of a place called Revo Technic (something like that). They had generic maps that could be used on the car depending on what mods it had. Obviously it wont give you the most gains as they have to leave a decent level of overhead in there, but it certainly worked.

In Pingus map, I'm not saying they could apply it to my car and off I go. It just means they dont have to start from scratch again so saves time. I.e. might take just 2hrs to tune rather than 3hrs+. At the end of the day, tuning is all about getting to know the ECU and the engine, so the more they see, the quicker they will get to a certain point :thumbs: