Which Haltech ECU should I have fitted and by who?

givememorepower

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

will do - its going in next monday ;)

I wait with baited breath!

Probably missed this but who is doing the work for you? And what dyno do they have?

Will be nice to see results from a more well known member on a proven dyno :thumbs:

+1 Looking forward to the results :thumbs:

Probably missed this but who is doing the work for you? And what dyno do they have?

Will be nice to see results from a more well known member on a proven dyno :thumbs:

whats that supossed to mean... :angry:

TDI in essex are doing it.. not sure what to expect, but I view it is a base on which to build :)

they have a "Rototest VPA-R chassis dynamometer".. I believe it is pretty decent ;)

http://www.tdi-plc.com/index.php?pge=C_dynocam

TDI in essex are doing it.. not sure what to expect, but I view it is a base on which to build :)

they have a "Rototest VPA-R chassis dynamometer".. I believe it is pretty decent ;)

http://www.tdi-plc.com/index.php?pge=C_dynocam

to bad it's not on a dyno dynamics... :scare:

That you're not as well known and the dyno you used wasn't proven?

I dunno, just a stab in the dark.

:lol::thumbs:

andlid: sorry but the Zed has been out for years and its pretty much proven that gains arent that easy to come by from what I've seen. I'm not saying you're lying but I havent seen numbers that high before so as you can appreciate I would like to see results from a member that has been around longer and on a dyno that is trusted. Put yourself in our shoes, you've been around a while and not seen these kinds of numbers, then some new member pipes up about how they got such good results from the ECU and tune. What would you think? I'm hoping that its all good and then I can get one :thumbs:B)

PS See the guys whos got 470BHP, and see what I mean ;)

That you're not as well known and the dyno you used wasn't proven?

I dunno, just a stab in the dark.

:lol::thumbs:

andlid: sorry but the Zed has been out for years and its pretty much proven that gains arent that easy to come by from what I've seen. I'm not saying you're lying but I havent seen numbers that high before so as you can appreciate I would like to see results from a member that has been around longer and on a dyno that is trusted. Put yourself in our shoes, you've been around a while and not seen these kinds of numbers, then some new member pipes up about how they got such good results from the ECU and tune. What would you think? I'm hoping that its all good and then I can get one :thumbs:B)

PS See the guys whos got 470BHP, and see what I mean ;)

lol yeah I know what you mean ... :blush: Well all I can say is whats on the paper and whats in the car (if someone didnt hide a single turbo down there somewhere) the standard baseline on 265 is quite low though? (same dyno) for arguments sake I can say that the tuner I go to the lads that want 470 out of their Glanza need not apply. IT's a no bullshit dyno. Had my altezza down there and got gobsmacked at the low HP's it produced and some of the other lads down there where not to impressed either :lol: one reason I said to hell with 2.0l here we go 3.5 :thumbs:

I'd say it's hard with all these different dynos etc. What I think in my own head is that you start with a baseline at the dyno and keep yourself to that dyno and it's YOUR numbers and you can see if what you are doing is actually gaining HP or not... a finger of salt is always needed. My tuner was actually happily suprised at the gains he saw, even with the basemap it was giving 300bhp, would be nice to see what it does now when I don't have the plenum in it anymore.

Anyhow point taken! :thumbs:

If you really want to you can all come over next summer and have a go :yahoo:

265 whp is inordinately high actually for a stock baseline. Here in the US, depending on the type dyno used and the location, it ranges from about 210 whp to around 230 who, for 2003-2006 models

so, assuming your baseline is a given % higher than the normally "accepted" #'s for the Zed, your car is in the 270 range, which for intake/exhaust bolt ons and a tune, is spot on where it should be

265 whp is inordinately high actually for a stock baseline. Here in the US, depending on the type dyno used and the location, it ranges from about 210 whp to around 230 who, for 2003-2006 models

so, assuming your baseline is a given % higher than the normally "accepted" #'s for the Zed, your car is in the 270 range, which for intake/exhaust bolt ons and a tune, is spot on where it should be

265 is on the flywheel...

makes more sense then

just as a basis for comparison, assuming a 15% loss through transmission (should be about right), I would be around 368 hp at the crank. Not sure how hp equates to bhp though

:yawn: Now I'm confused... are they not really the same?

:scare:

(think it's 17% btw)....

:headhurt:

Next time I'll ask to get it into Kw :D

Tried to figure it out but got even more confused (bhp vs hp) so it's goodnight for me :wacko:

makes more sense then

just as a basis for comparison, assuming a 15% loss through transmission (should be about right), I would be around 368 hp at the crank. Not sure how hp equates to bhp though

(think it's 17% btw)....

Tried to figure it out but got even more confused (bhp vs hp) so it's goodnight for me :wacko:

whp = wheel horsepower, so the power the car makes at the tires as measured on a chassis dyno

HP and BHP, are power measured at the crank. Only really possible to get an approximate unless you have the engine connected to an engine dyno

15%, 17%....one never will really be able to tell, but I use 15% - I'd rather err on the side of caution when approximating crank hp

makes more sense then

(think it's 17% btw)....

whp = wheel horsepower, so the power the car makes at the tires as measured on a chassis dyno

HP and BHP, are power measured at the crank. Only really possible to get an approximate unless you have the engine connected to an engine dyno

15%, 17%....one never will really be able to tell, but I use 15% - I'd rather err on the side of caution when approximating crank hp

yeah but you got the DIN HP and SAE HP... :surrender:

i know for a fact.... (last year around this time TDI dyno run...had about 7 Z's run there ranging from 276-309bhp) all Z's have 12-15% loss from flywheel to whp readings.

IMO..best figures for tuning are WHP figures...my 276bhp car made 243.5whp, 309bhp car made 276whp....

working whp figures back and assuming a loss% just causes the whole reading to vary dyno to dyno...

for best result tune to whp figures...and TDI was using some kind of dyno that attached to the rear hubs....we even had 2 FI cars running on that day. So in short...forget flywheel figures unless you want to strip your car out and run your engine on a flywheel dyno ....

i know for a fact.... (last year around this time TDI dyno run...had about 7 Z's run there ranging from 276-309bhp) all Z's have 12-15% loss from flywheel to whp readings.

IMO..best figures for tuning are WHP figures...my 276bhp car made 243.5whp, 309bhp car made 276whp....

working whp figures back and assuming a loss% just causes the whole reading to vary dyno to dyno...

for best result tune to whp figures...and TDI was using some kind of dyno that attached to the rear hubs....we even had 2 FI cars running on that day. So in short...forget flywheel figures unless you want to strip your car out and run your engine on a flywheel dyno ....

:thumbs: also the other thing to say it's all that matters what actually goes into the ground :yahoo:

OK - first results are back from TDI with my haltech fitted. As you will see a decent increase (particularly in the torque curve!) .. it's encouraging as a base to build upon over the coming year :)

I won't be able to pick the car up till the weekend but Sam at TDI has driven it and says it runs well..

(these are wheel figures of course)

3061840844_1d32cb65d8_b.jpg