Lesson learnt- be careful!

red or zed

Guys,

As some of you know, i used to be a zed owner, and im currently looking to get back into the driving seat of one...

Anyway, over the last couple of days ive been in touch with someone who is selling theirs. Ive not been to see the car but everything looks and sounds to be in place. Better still is that the seller is looking to get in the seat of a bigger car, so we have discussed a swap, and agreed to meet and sort things out.

sitting at my desk, i had this little voice telling me to run an HPI check, just in case...

So I do, and im left gobsmacked:

The registration was recorded stolen & recovered by the insurance provider back in 2007 and the registration was recorded as a Category B write-off in 2007!!

needless to say i am shocked, relieved and dissapointed.

im not into posting up details of people, but if anyone wants more details, PM me

gutted wont be able to join you in wales but have a TOP day!

:thumbs:

Sorry to read this Matt, but happy that you checked the vehicle out. And a lesson to all, you need to do your homework when buying a used car. Sorry that you wont be in Wales, but this won't be the last, so see you on the next one :thumbs:

Frightening, good job you checked. I appreciate you are not into posting names, but a few details about the car, colour year etc might remind anyone on here to check if they are thinking about a purchase.

thanks guys!

i am gutted, yes, but actually relieved now. i posed the question to the seller "is it hpi clear?"

the response i got was that it was flood damaged, but never crashed...

that should be in the advert IMO- end of. just read up on flood damaged cars and basically the consensus is to steer WELL clear, for numerous reasons.

as i say, gutted i cant make wales, but i am fortunate that the roads are just on my doorstep (was there last monday! :lol:) heres hoping that i might be able to join you on the next one though...

mbs- i know what you are saying mate, but dont really want to go slating the car/owner..

just be wary that not all chilli red's out there are what they seem to be...

well worth the few quid it takes to sort it out.

I did a HPI on a car I bought a few years ago and instead of it being a 206cc it said it was an audi TT. When I rang the owner and told him he was really worried about it but it turned out the dealership had printed the number plate wrong and put an X instead of a K - he had been driving around for a year with the wrong plates on!

:scare::scare::scare: got to be so careful now bud, glad you found out sooner or later. Is it worth HPi checking new cars?

Hpi EVERY car you buy mate. Sometime dealers use 'stocking' loans on their cars so that they aren't using their own money to purchase the car. You need to ensure that its all clear before purchase. :)

the response i got was that it was flood damaged,

Was it Nixy's car? :lol:

Oi cheeky - don't be reducing the value of Nemo - he's a good swimmer - he only wet his carpets!

the response i got was that it was flood damaged,

Was it Nixy's car? :lol:

Oi cheeky - don't be reducing the value of Nemo - he's a good swimmer - he only wet his carpets!

Are you using the disposable mats or washable ones to teach him not to wet himself? :p

I would generally do an HPI on every car I was going to buy (what's the cost of an HPI when you are spending a few grand), although I didn't with the JDM I just got. I have the documentation of it coming into the country and I am the first UK owner. I figured that if it did have any accidents in Japan will not be listed anyway.

I just spent hours looking at panels and got the guy selling it to pull up the carpets and the trim so I could see the metal inside and out to look for anything that looked like dodgy repair work.

A point to remember though is dont take a clear HPI check as gospel ,

all the vehicles I have seen that have been ringers all have come up clean on the HPI register, no crook worth his salt is going to ring an accident damaged vehicle :lol:

Sounds like you were very lucky. Annoyingly if you are buying privately then its up to the buyer to ask the question. Only then does the seller need to tell you BUT if you are buying from trade by law they are meant to tell you its a cat x

A point to remember though is dont take a clear HPI check as gospel ,

all the vehicles I have seen that have been ringers all have come up clean on the HPI register, no crook worth his salt is going to ring an accident damaged vehicle :lol:

yes and surely if you don't go through the insurance but simply repair a car yourself nobody would be any the wiser either?