Top Gear may be no more...

The Bounty Bar Kid

• 3 weeks later...

Right decision. Died after the 3 left. The revival had way too many presenters. Obviously in early days sabine schmidt was a great guest host...... someone somewhere will make a replacement I'm sure. 

BBC 'axes Top Gear after 46 years as bosses concede there is "no way it can continue" after Freddie… https://mol.im/a/12603715 via https://dailym.ai/android

7 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

They paid out £9,000,000 million to Flintoff who is known for fanning about and taking risks. Apparently rumour has it he wasn't wearing a helmet and was standing up in an open top kit car when he crashed at low speed.  

I read it was a three wheeled Morgan not a kit car 🤷

• 1 month later...

Appearing on BBC Breakfast today (November 9), Harris told hosts Naga Munchetty and Charlie Stayt: “I think he’s healing.

“It was a serious incident," he continued. "I’m not going to say any more than that. As I’ve said in the book and in the few interviews I’ve given, I’m so proud of the fact that team Top Gear kept everything quiet and we were dignified.

“There is nothing out there about what happened, there won’t be. There’s no mole in the organisation. I’m really, really proud of that.

No Mole?! LOL....loads of moles at the local station! Some in bed with Daily Mail 

When TG let Clarkson go, between that time and The Gran Tour/Chris Evans TG the vacuum was filled by YT car reviews like Chris Harris on Cars, Carfection Shmee150, Seen Through Glass etc as YouTubers had access to new cars and uploaded the reviews almost in real time. TG new or old was never able to do this, as it's shot months in advance therefore not being able to keep up with new car releases. While this had always been the case, the public at large weren't aware of this time delay that was later manifest.

The writing was on the wall 

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1

The landscape has changed. Online reviews are doing the job. Although the entertainment part is often missing (explosions, stunts and movie like scenes). Thats where a budget is required. Obviously a media company that makes its money from advertising etc can make it happen and create an online platform without needing a TV Channel. Anyone that manages to do this can possibly extract more viewers online than CarWoW who often get around a million plus per drag race video. 

Unfortunately the money from Youtube (couple grand per upload) may not be on the same level as Top Gear have been pouring into their shows. Either get investors on or find a bigger budget or scale down the entertainment side and focus a bit more editing and cinematic style reviews. 

Amazon spent £4.5 million per show apparently on Grand Tour. BBC Spent around £833,000 per show. I think this includes wages of the 3 freelancers lol. 

Lets say they took on Chris Harris, Rory and Matt Le Blanc on a new show. I reckon they will spend significantly more on renegotiated contracts, stunts and special effects. Around 1- 2 million per episode. As Davey said you spend the money and theres a 3+ month delay from filming to screens. Youtubers have already got first dibs on new products. Youtubers are releasing content as quickly as a day or two. Especially if they are good at speed editing. 

Edited by GranTurismoEra

TG was never about having the first review though, as you say because of the schedule they’d always been behind magazines and streaming media. If people did watch it for a review (and most didn’t, tbh) then they watched it for the definitive review.  

Without the TV show, will the magazine and website continue to generate enough revenue for the BBC to continue with them, or are they sufficiently stand alone now that they can survive without the show. 

6 hours ago, Ekona said:

TG was never about having the first review though, as you say because of the schedule they’d always been behind magazines and streaming media. If people did watch it for a review (and most didn’t, tbh) then they watched it for the definitive review.  

True. YouTube side isn't going away. Although their numbers could be a bit better. 

1 hour ago, McG said:

Without the TV show, will the magazine and website continue to generate enough revenue for the BBC to continue with them, or are they sufficiently stand alone now that they can survive without the show. 

Tough call but they're lagging behind in views compared to Car Wow and the like. With 8 million subs compared to Carwows 8 mill + you'd expect more views. The drag racing format bring in views. The carwow format suits people's attention spans. I suppose not enough Chris Harris. Sometimes the host is the draw. Mat Watsons well known and personality matters. Get Clarkson back and the views skyrocket. Harris is on a different channel (collecting cars) . I suppose he can still freelance from Time to time at a cost! More freedom on YouTube within reason. Interesting to see the likes of Autotrader coming up on subscribers. Still a way to go. Lots of competition in this area like Hagerty etc. 

Edited by GranTurismoEra

CarWow is the least intellectual car channel I’ve ever watched. It’s dumbed down to the point where I can feel myself dribbling whenever I watch one of their vids. 

And yes, that does mean that sadly I do secretly enjoying watching the odd drag race episode 🤦‍♂️ the line of 911 Turbos was a good idea, just a shame it’s presented by absolute boofheads. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, McG said:

I'm genuinely surprised magazines are still a thing at all given the current consumer trends.

The website is largely standalone these days, it doesn't really rely on the presenters for content but the shows producers were still involved. It could go very easily go either way in my opinion; those producers still need jobs after all and the Top Gear name is still a draw at the moment.