Air filters / cat back exhausts etc

Rhysos

Hi all,

I fully appreciate that this topic has been around the houses many times, and I have reviewed a number of forum conversations on it. However I am thinking of installing some  air filters on my 370 Nismo and potentially going for an Invidia Gemini V2 cat-back exhaust followed by an Ecutek at some point. I am not interested in max power gains on an NA, more driveability and a slightly better engine note.

I think CAI is a step too far and I have read varying degrees of success on them other than the engine bling factor (please let me know if this is misguided). I am not really sure how much of an issue heat soak is on the 370 Nismo either which would be the only reason I would consider CAI.

Anyone have experience on air filters (and / or the exhaust) and be able to advise on recommended products? My normal go to is K&N or BMC for air filters.

Thanks in advance 🙂

Sounds like you've done your research. The stock intake system flows really well so there's not really any gains to be had from a CAI, plus access to the filters is a pain in the arse when you want to clean/replace them. 

If you're not bothered about engine bay bling an aftermarket drop in filter is a good choice, I had a HKS one on my 350z. Personally I'm not a fan of oiled filters like the K&N because if you over-oil them it can upset the MAF sensor. 

In terms of exhausts, I had the invidia gemini cat-back and would thoroughly recommend it. Brilliant quality, fitment and sound. 

• Like 1

If you decide to add HFCs definitely do that before you get it tuned. A remap should be the last step once everything else is in place to get the best gains, plus they'll be able to turn off the post-cat O2 sensors to eliminate the chance of the HFCs throwing up an EML. 

I had torqen HFCs paired with my invidia gemini, it was quite loud so I'd bear that in mind. Any HFC will make any exhaust a fair bit louder. 

• Like 1

Ideally get yourself to Japfest in April.

There should be 50-100 Zeds on the club stand alone.

Owners would gladly let you listen to their various setups.

Can't beat hearing something in person Vs on YouTube

Then spend your money on something you really like.

• Like 2

I feel your pain, I've been researching an exhaust for a MK2 nismo for probably the last 6 months if not more. I made a thread in the exhaust section called "exhausted with exhausts". 

The Problem we run into with our MK2 Nismos is that the back end is longer and the differential is bigger, which very few of the aftermarket exhausts cater for, nor do the websites share much information. I found the idea of having to modify an exhaust system that was around 1200-1800 pounds ridiculous when they should just be able to bolt up and fit first time. My idea choice would have been an ARK Grip V2 but this would have required cutting and welding straight out of the box on a £2200 exhaust. Often you'll find the back end hidden away in the bumper and most of them requiring modification to sit perfectly. 

I've finally made my choice and have purchased an Invidia Gemini from Tarmac Sportz. Like you I did not want excessively loud or any drone, and from speaking to Bob he pretty much sold me on these. As others have said the Gemini is definitely on the quieter side until you really step on it but still producing that love V6 warble that they are known. Me personally will be leaving it at that as fitting a cat back exhaust to an otherwise stock car will have very little if any detrimental effect  

• Like 1

If you're not in a rush then I totally agree with Headphones, get yourself to Japfest before you make a decision. 

It's all personal taste at the end of the day, eventhough the gemini & HFC combo is still on the quieter side of the spectrum I certainly wouldn't have wanted it any louder. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help and guidance folks. I've installed some AFE pro dry filters and I think I'm going for a staged approach and get the Invidia exhaust next. Once I've run that for a while, I can then work out if I am happy to increase the sound a bit more and add HFCs before getting an Ecutek map done. 

Might sound a tad too sensible as an approach but it's probably the best way to avoid going all in straight away and possibly regretting it (which I have in the past albeit 10 years ago). I suspect I will end up with HFCs as well, but no rush 🙂.

Just need to find someone to fit the exhaust near me now before ordering..

• Like 1

Had someone whose going Fi shut me down when mentioned CAI dont do anything. I think the Stillen G3 add some gains. 

Out of all the exhausts ive heard short tails resonated seem to sound the best from outside. They are somewhat boomy inside. But for tunnel blasts they are perfect. Its ok as I can get them off after summers done for 20 quid so not a biggie. Also for long distance driving probably not for everyone. 

Ppl speak of noise but my brothers 2015 911 carrera was as loud as resonated short tails from factory. As that has the PSE....Each to their own though. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/02/2023 at 22:35, Olly350z said:

My invidia Gemini will be arriving tomorrow and I'll hopefully be fitting at the weekend, I'll let you know how I get on and how it sounds on my Nismo 

Did you get your Invidia Gemini exhaust installed on your Nismo? I am interested to hear what you think of it, and the fitting.