2022 UHP Tyre reviews

davey_83

24 minutes ago, Stutopia said:

Which got me wondering is there something out there that's better (in a 17 inch size) for the track but without going full semi slick and having to change wheels at track or stay indoors when it's raining?

Not in my experience. PS4/PS4S are awesome fast road/occasional track tyres but like PS4s they do get a bit melty after a lap or two pushing or a really hot circuit. Off the track IMO they are the best compromise but ............

...... NS2R seem to handle heat better while being pretty decent in the wet and Ive got A052s on the BMW as (hopefully) the best all round track tyre for Spa and Zandvoort in November, but then again they are bastard expensive and only have 7mm tread to begin with 🤪 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, docwra said:

Not in my experience. PS4/PS4S are awesome fast road/occasional track tyres but like PS4s they do get a bit melty after a lap or two pushing or a really hot circuit. Off the track IMO they are the best compromise but ............

...... NS2R seem to handle heat better while being pretty decent in the wet and Ive got A052s on the BMW as (hopefully) the best all round track tyre for Spa and Zandvoort in November, but then again they are bastard expensive and only have 7mm tread to begin with 🤪 

Thanks and have fun at Spa, super jealous.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

Nobody ever seems to mention the Continental options. I thought they were up there on a similar level to the Michelins.

Please check out the video at the start, the Conti is currently the best UHP on the market

• Thanks 1

Yeah they SC6 is a mega tyre as was already ahead of the 4S (better than the PS5) overall, let alone the SC7. The new Bridgestone Potenza Sport is meant to be a rated tyre at least. 

There's probably a very good reason why the fast FWD production car to ever lap the Nurburgring is on Contis

I have SC6 on my 19's and they're awesome!! Great steering feel, direct and super grippy. Doubt you could go wrong with either for road use.

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1

On 15/10/2022 at 14:25, davey_83 said:

Please check out the video at the start, the Conti is currently the best UHP on the market

Sorry Davey, I should have been clearer, I meant to say discussed or rated in general chat on the forum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

Sorry Davey, I should have been clearer, I meant to say discussed or rated in general chat on the forum.

That's an easy one, forum biases. Plus no one has them on forum. I have Michelins on my 18's so wanted to try something different for my 19's so went for the SC6's. Absolutely mega tyre and is said to sit between the PS4S and the Cup2's 

• Thanks 1

On 15/10/2022 at 08:45, Loadmaster said:

Nobody ever seems to mention the Continental options. I thought they were up there on a similar level to the Michelins.

I think the SportContact 7s cleaned up in the recent EVO UHP 2022 test - I'd certainly consider them for the Cayman when they're due for replacement

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Same, always show the wet weather respect. One could always get caught out, we do live in the UK after all.

Yeah seems Continental are clearing out the divisions, we have Contis on all our cars. I do actually hope the MPS5S (when released) can take it to the CSC7 

Edited by davey_83

I nearly went for the contis but they were more expensive than my F1 supersports, not by much a tenner or so, I think yo get foot in door they need to take the hit for a couple of years and drop prices to just below Michelin and Goodyear items try and get some more on the road

17 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Same, always show the wet weather respect. One could always get caught out, we do live in the UK after all.

Yeah seems Continental are clearing out the divisions, we have Contis on all our cars. I do actually hope the MPS5S (when released) can take it to the CSC7 

MP5 as good as mps4s? 

1 minute ago, GranTurismoEra said:

MP5 as good as mps4s? 

No matey, different classes of tyre. It's like the MPS3 v the MPSS. The MPS4S is the best road tyre currently the Michelin do. The MPS5 continues on from the 4, more comfort bias than the 4S which replaced the MPSS.