Stu’s MX5 Track Toy

Stutopia

23 hours ago, Stutopia said:

Been a bit slow on the mod front for a while and then two come along all at once. Went out for a quiet drive in the country last month and the cat in the header decided to eat itself and block the exhaust, after a very tedious limp home, I placed an order for new header, mid section and the GT back box - all from BBR GTI.

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-12 at 09.45.33.jpeg

Considering I picked that system more on availability then sound and looks, I am very pleased indeed. No photos, but you can hear it pretty good on the videos in the next post.

The other thing that went down was a set of RPF1s and some new rubber. I did want to try a different wheel, as I fitted the gold version of these on the BRZ, but for the money and the strength and the weight, there's literally zero other options that I'd be prepared to splash money on and then smash them round tracks. Next best choice was OZ Alleggerita but that was £500 extra and I didn't like them any more than these.

IMG_3360.png

Not the most precise scales, but they do a job for a reference point!

IMG_3423.png

Plumped for a 215/45/17, which is a tiny bit wider than the OEM 205s, which makes them a tiny bit taller too - which fills up the arch a bit...

IMG_3534.JPG

... and improves the fitment a little, but this is never gonna be a stance queen!

PHOTO-2023-05-05-18-43-14.jpg

Whilst I was swapping over the rims, I popped my coiler socks off to see what had gone over winter. They've certainly been doing their job and the coils were nice and clean, just needed a little wipe over. A must have if you run expensive bits on our roads IMO.

IMG_3532.png

For the rubber, I've been agonising over AR1s and AD09s and Cup Sport 2s - in the end I plumped for good old Michelin.

IMG_3430.png

They certainly contribute their fair share of the overall wheel weight - adding 9.2kg :scare:

IMG_3530.JPG

Overall, I'm very pleased with these changes. The exhaust wasn't planned, but it was on the cards, as the OEM unit was rusty and sounded rubbish - this also sets up nicely for power gains down the line. The wheels look fab IMO and, as you'll see in the next post, the tyres certainly make a big difference. I purposely did not weigh in my OEM wheels and the MPS5s until after Anglesey, to see if I could feel any difference (beyond outright grip). The car felt much the same at Anglesey this week as it did last August, both through the steering wheel and seat. So I was quite pleased when I checked the weight and it was the exact same 16kg overall as the new setup - at least my hands work :lol:

I am just fitting coilovers and did the socks so good to see the results, a worthwhile investment. Question did you cover the top of the strut, spring and spring adjusters on yours or the bottom of the strut, strut adjuster and spring adjuster?

8 hours ago, rodgeevans said:

I am just fitting coilovers and did the socks so good to see the results, a worthwhile investment. Question did you cover the top of the strut, spring and spring adjusters on yours or the bottom of the strut, strut adjuster and spring adjuster?

I just picked up the first set I found online, looking back, I'd try and get longer ones, as you can see they can only cover so much. When I put them on in winter, I'll coat everything with WD40 to try and keep the exposed bits from corroding.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Ticked off a life goal with this one. Always wanted to go to Spa, easily my favourite track, for the F1 or maybe even a track day...  so we took a bit of a scenic route through NE France, the Ardennes and into Belgium - it's a pretty route but not spectacular.

IMG_3767.png

IMG_3769.png

IMG_3773.png

IMG_3778.png

It took the better part of a day with the Chunnel crossing and scenic route. Turns out the excellent A & B roads in France end at the Belgian border - the last hour or so was spine crushing in the race car!

Eventually made it to the AirBnB and got some tea on - just 5 minutes drive from Spa-Francorchamps.

IMG_3783.png

Then it was the big day. I won't lie, I was giddy as a schoolboy driving up to the circuit, I've wanted to do this for as long as I've enjoyed the smell of petrol - and this place does not disappoint. The setting in the hills, the surrounding forest, the sheer scale of the place, the stands, proper marshalls and LED flags - different gravy this place!

IMG_3787.png

IMG_3815.png

IMG_3829.png

The forest INSIDE the circuit near Raidillon.

IMG_3830.png

Oh and the metal on show...

IMG_3803.png

This guy was bricking it when he saw my MX-5 pull in :lol:

IMG_20230613_081335.png

IMG_3807.png

Fancy nuts!

IMG_3806.png

You know it's a real race car when a lawnmower has to pull it round the paddock :lol:

IMG_20230613_171926.png

You couldn't move for Porsche's - GT4s, GT3s, GT3RS, Boxsters and Caymans too. I was almost sad I didn't bring mine, but I would have spent the day scared of banging it, instead of fully committing in the Mazda.

IMG_3809.png

IMG_20230613_084535.png

IMG_3810.png

IMG_3808.png

IMG_3802.png

IMG_3798.png

IMG_3799.png

IMG_20230613_082447.png

IMG_20230613_082503.png

IMG_20230613_084600.png

IMG_20230613_085015.png

Rare beasts these Project 8s - no less than two out - that's more than the ubiquitous Yari you see at track days.

But the real star was keeping cool in the WEC Garage...

IMG_3796.png

IMG_3835.png

IMG_3812.png

IMG_3832.png

We were in the poverty garages, the fancy ones were taken over for the 24 Hrs of Spa bikes...

IMG_3826.png

IMG_3825.png

IMG_20230613_124242.png

The view for lunch from the, rather superb, restaurant patio.

IMG_3822.png

As for the track itself - what a ride! In equal measures fun and terrifying, the speed you can carry in Eau Rouge, Radillon and Double Gauche were incredible - took a lot of laps to build up confidence to go full send. I thought Radillon would be the most scary but actually Blanchimont required the most commitment. This is only the second time I have run Cup 2 Connects on the MX5 and the ambient temp was about 28C - slightly too warm for optimal, but I musn't complain! God only know what this would be like in the rain :scare:

Annoyingly my GoPro footage isn't great - I had to reduce resolution down to 2k to stop it overheating and forgot to recheck the field of view, so I have lots of beautifully exposed car interior and blown out track - grrrrr. Gonna have to go back again!

Here's my quickest one - 3:10 to do 4.35 miles on my first trip - very pleased. That's averaging over 80, with the Bus Stop and La Source both being jogging pace!

If you're very bored, here's my full 24 Minutes of Spa - including some tuition for me - contains strong language and unvarnished views on track etiquette - you have been warned! This is mainly for keeping my memories and looking back in future, than out and out entertainment.

• Like 12

12 hours ago, Ekona said:

I’d rather do five laps of Spa than a whole day at the Ring, it’s that good. I’d love to go back. 

My first time there was in the snow! :lol: 

I do want to do the Ring, at some point, but I’d go back to Spa again before doing the Ring for the first time. I just loved it.

I don’t want to go in the snow though :scare:

10 hours ago, andy james said:

Looks awesome.

You have reignited my track day mojo Stu.

Ive tramped around most of the UK circuits and the Ring in the Z but Spa is something I haven’t experienced yet.

If you get serious about it next year, let me know, I’d be keen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

Looks like a lot of fun. How much did the whole trip cost? I've been looking into doing something like this. I don't normally do holidays as it's just me, but I could be tempted by something like this.

It was amazing and the Cayman would be perfect there. I have been thinking seriously about it since before Covid (which blocked two trips to Spa I had booked) and eventually @docwra just said stop being a fanny and get it booked - wise words.

Well, as it happens, I have the numbers to hand. This was based on sharing an Airbnb with a mate, but if you went on your own, there were hotels nearby at the £90 mark.

I didn’t pay any French motorway tolls on my route.

Also we booked tuition and split a garage, which is £90 you could shave off. The garage was handy, but not that special. The tuition with Calum Lockie is second to none, done two on track sessions with him now and I can’t recommend highly enough - real racing driver, not “just” an instructor. So I would spend that money again in a heartbeat.

I drove from north England and stayed in Folkestone the night before the Le Shuttle, if you cut that hotel out and drove all the way in one day, plus the other savings, you could do it for ~£867.

image.png

Above does not include petrol and food, but petrol and food don’t count, as they are life essentials! It was roughly €1.65 a litre for V Power everywhere Euro side, except for Total Super at the track which was €1.98 a litre - you will need at least one circuit top up at 4 miles a lap! You might find a cheaper track day provider, but I wouldn’t bother, Gold Track are superb and you wont save a fortune by picking one of the others. Plus you get to see all the GT3s, GT4s, Radicals, etc instead of battered Hondas and Clios (sorry Andy! :lol: ) plus the expensive motors are much more scared of the idiot in the MX5, than I was of them!

The lunch buffet wasn’t cheap at €30, but easily the best meal I’ve had at a track (better than some restaurants) with incredible views, but you could save monies with a picnic. Defo bring lots of supermarket water!

It is a wedge for a single track day, with no real “holiday” time to relax, but for a major personal life goal - a total bargain. You only get one ride and you cant take your savings with you into the afterlife!

If I went again, I’d ideally stay longer and fold it into a full road trip to Germany for visits to Porsche & Mercedes and The Ring.

The elephant in the room is Track Day Insurance, I didn’t take cover for the MX5, but would have done for the Cayman and that adds significant expense for your peace of mind on damage to the car, the track and also recovery to the UK.

• Like 3

This thread made me dig up some old photos from my first time there, didn’t get many but these two demonstrate it nicely:

Spa2.jpg.b0c803faaccfd9aa02484a82eabff782.jpg

That was the view from the hotel on the morning of the trackday itself, so definitely a snow day!

Spa.jpg.e437f00b09a9cb2fd507bbcb92469268.jpg

…and by the track itself, I’m on the left but handily you can see the snow still falling against the black of my friend’s suit :lol: this was taken whilst we waiting for the temps to come above freezing so they’d actually open the track! 

Happy times. 

#hijackover

#sorrystu

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stutopia said:

It was amazing and the Cayman would be perfect there. I have been thinking seriously about it since before Covid (which blocked two trips to Spa I had booked) and eventually @docwra just said stop being a fanny and get it booked - wise words.

Well, as it happens, I have the numbers to hand. This was based on sharing an Airbnb with a mate, but if you went on your own, there were hotels nearby at the £90 mark.

I didn’t pay any French motorway tolls on my route.

Also we booked tuition and split a garage, which is £90 you could shave off. The garage was handy, but not that special. The tuition with Calum Lockie is second to none, done two on track sessions with him now and I can’t recommend highly enough - real racing driver, not “just” an instructor. So I would spend that money again in a heartbeat.

I drove from north England and stayed in Folkestone the night before the Le Shuttle, if you cut that hotel out and drove all the way in one day, plus the other savings, you could do it for ~£867.

image.png

Above does not include petrol and food, but petrol and food don’t count, as they are life essentials! It was roughly €1.65 a litre for V Power everywhere Euro side, except for Total Super at the track which was €1.98 a litre - you will need at least one circuit top up at 4 miles a lap! You might find a cheaper track day provider, but I wouldn’t bother, Gold Track are superb and you wont save a fortune by picking one of the others. Plus you get to see all the GT3s, GT4s, Radicals, etc instead of battered Hondas and Clios (sorry Andy! :lol: ) plus the expensive motors are much more scared of the idiot in the MX5, than I was of them!

The lunch buffet wasn’t cheap at €30, but easily the best meal I’ve had at a track (better than some restaurants) with incredible views, but you could save monies with a picnic. Defo bring lots of supermarket water!

It is a wedge for a single track day, with no real “holiday” time to relax, but for a major personal life goal - a total bargain. You only get one ride and you cant take your savings with you into the afterlife!

If I went again, I’d ideally stay longer and fold it into a full road trip to Germany for visits to Porsche & Mercedes and The Ring.

The elephant in the room is Track Day Insurance, I didn’t take cover for the MX5, but would have done for the Cayman and that adds significant expense for your peace of mind on damage to the car, the track and also recovery to the UK.

Cheers for that. Only 64 miles to Folkstone for me. So one full tank there and another back plus what I use. Not bad indeed. Definitely food for thought. Would only need a hotel day before and day of track day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ekona said:

This thread made me dig up some old photos from my first time there, didn’t get many but these two demonstrate it nicely:

Spa2.jpg.b0c803faaccfd9aa02484a82eabff782.jpg

That was the view from the hotel on the morning of the trackday itself, so definitely a snow day!

Spa.jpg.e437f00b09a9cb2fd507bbcb92469268.jpg

…and by the track itself, I’m on the left but handily you can see the snow still falling against the black of my friend’s suit :lol: this was taken whilst we waiting for the temps to come above freezing so they’d actually open the track! 

Happy times. 

#hijackover

#sorrystu

No need to apologise, cracking photos, nice that your Dad let you borrow his race suit! :lol:

• Haha 1

On 17/06/2023 at 08:38, Stutopia said:

Eventually @docwra just said stop being a fanny and get it booked - wise words.

To anyone else thinking about it my advice would be the same, its an incredible circuit with loads of run off in a beautiful location and Spa town is pretty damn nice as well - Dominos steak house is a must visit and the bars are pretty lively too. 
Last time I was out there I rolled it in with a couple of days TF at Nur and another trackday at Zandvoort, the Euro circuits are awesome and theres an additional element of adventure with the road trip too :thumbs:

Im sure someone will have watched a youtube and will now tell me Llandow is better than Spa ......... but seriously, if you havent been already get yourself over there, its amazing.  

onAggDc.jpg

Edited by docwra
  • Like 4