New Z confirmed by Nissan

Adrian@TORQEN

18 hours ago, DoogyRev said:

Used Porsche Dakar went for sale recently. Need all wheel drive. But perfect for death valley or similar as its flat enough. 

Edited by GranTurismoEra

4 hours ago, McG said:

USA keeping things going at SEMA. Their car scene makes UK look like shite lol... 

Ford announcement of a 800 hp supercharger with a warranty shows a different attitude. While folks on here are still debating looks of a Zed they categorically said wasn't going to be made 5 years later 🤣🤣 

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, davey_83 said:

True, sound went downhill after the VQ35DE

I would say noise regulations but Supra has no issue popping and banging. Just a shame the EU version is nerfed to 335 hp and needs a map to be equal to US version.

They tried straight pipe on the Z and still sounds iffy. 

Edited by GranTurismoEra

1 hour ago, GranTurismoEra said:

I would say noise regulations but Supra has no issue popping and banging. Just a shame the EU version is nerfed to 335 hp and needs a map to be equal to US version.

They tried straight pipe on the Z and still sounds iffy. 

I will just say artificial pops and bangs isn't a good sound 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, davey_83 said:

I will just say artificial pops and bangs isn't a good sound 

Is it really artificial? Supra and Z4 I've heard don't sound bad maybe theyre modded. Maybe I'm getting old but I didn't have short tails on for more than 3 weeks. I now get what Olly was getting at with loud exhausts. 

So you get the new Z for £50,000 door to door and no matter what exhaust goes on it sounds like a poor man's Q60? Seems like Nissan didn't think sound was important with Japanese noise regulations. 

With sports mode engaged they'll have extra pops and bangs utilising fuel dump on over run or between up shifts.

Maybe for a TT V6 it doesn't sound bad, however coming from a N/A lineage it'll alway suffer. Think e46 and e92 M3 to F80 M3 - sound wise the older cats have it. I think manufacturers use artificial noises to give more character to an otherwise dull sounding oe exhaust.

Edited by davey_83

The dumping of fuel and over synthesised sounds like c63 seems overkill when you can have more natural sound. The 370 nismo standard exhaust is crap when you change it you notice it pops few times if hot. Seems more natural even though its tuned from factory engine wise not necessarily for sound. 

I agree that Z4 and supra do have fake sounds coming into the cabin as well. Better to stay old school or go older v8 pre OPF if sound is key. Personally now I'd take performance now over sound. There are some cars that already outperform the Z at the price range and sound better pre OPF 2017 with a 365 to 440hp range. If they saying 65k for nismo then you get the gist. 

Nice one. Remember when the Cayman 718 GTS went 2.5 turbo. The performance was better than the previous models N/A engine but the newer cars sounded awful and got slatted in the press in this area. Porsche for the facelift offered that model again in N/A 😁 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Nice one. Remember when the Cayman 718 GTS went 2.5 turbo. The performance was better than the previous models N/A engine but the newer cars sounded awful and got slatted in the press in this area. Porsche for the facelift offered that model again in N/A 😁 

Yep.... These are the last days however.... the 4.0 GTS Cayman definitely one on the bucket list ha... 60k plus tho... Then again a full optioned 981 S 3.4 can be had in the 30s. Great cars and yeah the 2.5 is quicker no doubt and Porsche engineers tried their best but hey ho. 

I'll say the 3.8 gt4 or 4.0 GTS Cayman engines sound really good a level above the 3.4 in the Cayman. My brother had a 911 Carrera S with a 3.8. Wow. NA will be museum time pieces. 

Edited by GranTurismoEra

Point being to some sounds matters. I think it does along with looks, affordability, reliability and the 350z/370z are tough acts to follow. Best sounding V6 twin turbos today? Possibly the ones from Alfa and in the back of the NSX 🤷🏽‍♂️

10 hours ago, davey_83 said:

With sports mode engaged they'll have extra pops and bangs utilising fuel dump on over run or between up shifts.

Maybe for a TT V6 it doesn't sound bad, however coming from a N/A lineage it'll alway suffer. Think e46 and e92 M3 to F80 M3 - sound wise the older cats have it. I think manufacturers use artificial noises to give more character to an otherwise dull sounding oe exhaust.

I used to have an E92 M3 and I've now got an F82 M4. The E92 M3 definitely sounds much better as you say(especially the induction noise for me), however because I use them as daily drivers, the M4 wipes the floor with the M3 for me. I'd probably consider the E9x M3 as a weekend car though I reckon. 

Everything seems to count against the M3 as a daily to me. They weigh 1650kg, but only have 295 Ib/ft of torque, and max power is at 8300rpm as well. So unless you're absolutely thrashing the backside off them, they can feel quite unrewarding and frustrating to me. Plus the brakes are garbage in them too. Not to mention 17/18 mpg too! 

The M4 is lighter/faster, and has far better brakes, plus it has 406 Ib/ft of torque. In my hands doing the same journeys it is also just over 10 mpg better on fuel as well. I'm not sure I'd want the F8x M3/4 as a weekend car though, because they arguably aren't special enough for that I reckon. 

• Like 1

^ yeah absolutely agree. Much like the DC2 type r, S2000 all the power at top so have to bury the throttle to em going which would get tiresome. I love the Z she'll go from any rpm with ease, 20mph in 4th with no need to drop down a gear or two. I can imagine the turbo gen M3/M4 was a huge jump in all round performance and economy, of course a lesser sound. 

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1