New Z confirmed by Nissan

Adrian@TORQEN

46 minutes ago, ilogikal1 said:

Dan, it's like you didn't even read the article.

It's not just 20hp.

It's a "noteworthy" 20hp!

I bet you feel silly now.

I do. I feel absolutely imprudent with my choice of words. 

They know the Z is a low investment project. Toyota didnt offer a manual at first and still sold 3000 cars year 1. Most Americans dont drive manual. So theyre not going to spend money on recalls for the nismo. Also when looking at performance and speed. Auto does a better job. If you wish to be enthused, engaged and spirited either get the sport/performance or get another car altogether. It is what it is. They may offer it later if the demand overrides the cost. 

• Like 1

For a car where they’ve clearly focused on driver involvement over outright performance (look at the changes to the suspension and brakes alone compared with a dodgy dyno run of power increase), it seems odd to not focus on driver involvement. 

However, you are right when you say simply buy another car. Cos that’s exactly what people are doing. 

5 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

They know the Z is a low investment project. Toyota didnt offer a manual at first and still sold 3000 cars year 1. Most Americans dont drive manual. So theyre not going to spend money on recalls for the nismo. Also when looking at performance and speed. Auto does a better job. If you wish to be enthused, engaged and spirited either get the sport/performance or get another car altogether. It is what it is. They may offer it later if the demand overrides the cost. 

Exactly, it suits the intended market. After the 350z, the aim of a raw driving experience went out the window 

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1

Yeah let them, because all people would do is complain.....Nissan aren't losing sleep. They gave a new Z they didn't have to. Z doesn't make them money. Soccer moms do. Juke, Qashqai, X trail sell boat loads and bring in the moolah. Driver focused yet most complaints were, suspension being too harsh and not knowing what it wants to be...yet its rivals got a pass.., Nismo being a clout vehicle being slower than base car around the track, manual 1st to 2nd gear grind, CSC plate issues not to mention a host of other things. They tried to address those issues where possible.... People want a manual Nismo, how many of them are buying....

Screenshot_20230802_175136.jpg.18f60341ed22a14b49ad694a63bafb16.jpg

Im not gona lie if it was available in UK id be ordering one now in Auto Something else will have to do when shopping around. 🫢

• Like 1

Exactly right. Had they joined with Mercedes (already in bed on the Infinity line) to make a new Z35/SLK chassis vehicle, using MB running gear and switches like what Toyota did with the Supra folks would have being saying "it's not a real Z car, they've sold out the fans" and you wouldn't have heard the last of it. Can't win either way 😭

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Exactly right. Had they joined with Mercedes (already in bed on the Infinity line) to make a new Z35/SLK chassis vehicle, using MB running gear and switches like what Toyota did with the Supra folks would have being saying "it's not a real Z car, they've sold out the fans" and you wouldn't have heard the last of it. Can't win either way 😭

Lol hard sell in any universe....im glad it exists, when its an electric the new gen can argue amongst themselves about sound choice and fake manual software updates

• Like 1

Over 200 votes on a poll I did the other day. Seems folks aren't overly concerned about speed and more so involvement, given the choice. The people have spoken 😁

Screenshot_20230803-060509-941.png.57aaf248a0941855a70a15db888ef220.png

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 2

Interestingly the GR Corolla costs just as much to buy on certain sites. Japan has markup issues as well lol. I can understand why as the production is so slow  anyone that wants one now or even this year will have to pay up. I dont think the Nismo production will be any faster. There will be a wait for sure. People that ordered in 2021 some are still just getting their cars!

Just as well no one's really buying it then.

From the numbers I've seen, they've only sold 942 in the US by the end of Q1 '23 accoridng to their own group reports. From what I can make out (albeit from less reliable sources - I got bored of looking before any official numbers for Japan) they're not shifting many more there either.

• Like 1

I also had a look at Z4 sales in EU and US combined. The new Z4 did in europe 11,000+ year 1 and lately 9,000+ these are good numbers in the current climate. Then again they do have 3 trims including 2 2.0 Liter Trims. Majority of sales comes from the lower trims as more affordable. In the US the Z4 only sells 2k cars per year. Where the Z could sell double or triple that if they can actually produce the thing fast enough to meet preorders. 

Also Alpine managed to sell 2700 A110 in Europe. 2000 cars might be ambitious for Z at £50,000. Probably not for rivals like Supra. Who sold 6800 cars in US and not more than 1000 in EU. Thats where the issue might be. 

EU has no issues buying convertible. So maybe Nissan should consider a convertible version for Europe lol. Only see it possible with a different EV model entirely.

8 minutes ago, ilogikal1 said:

Just as well no one's really buying it then.

From the numbers I've seen, they've only sold 942 in the US by the end of Q1 '23 accoridng to their own group reports. From what I can make out (albeit from less reliable sources - I got bored of looking before any official numbers for Japan) they're not shifting many more there either.

Yeah the locals are critical of the car. In US delivery and manufacturing issues have led to cancellations. Markups and Stop Sale for both Auto and Manual hasnt helped. From 2025 they have stricter emissions and noise regulations coming in Japan. I wonder what Nissan will do then. Toyota are planning to stop production on certain cars like the 86. They are already talking of Hybrid and Turbo Charging 86 post 2025. Supra will bow out by 2025 with a special edition. Next generation Toyota will use Hybrid and more Tech. Nissan are in a dilemna as theyre not really interested in Hybrid. If they cant sell in US then theyll have to cease production sooner than we thought. Theyll give some time to get enough numbers. As they havent even met preorders yet. 

Of those 942 many still haven't received their car.  US Dealers are point blank telling people this is our markup of 20k what you wanna do? Some are lucky and dont pay a mark up after calling 16 dealers across states.

2023 Nissan Z Production Lags Far Behind Due to Paint Problems: Report (thedrive.com)

1 hour ago, GranTurismoEra said:

EU has no issues buying convertible. So maybe Nissan should consider a convertible version for Europe lol. Only see it possible with a different EV model entirely.

Can't see them bothering to introduce a convertible if they can make, let alone sell, the standard hardtop version.

Then again, they've surprised me by bothering with a Nismo trim under those conditions, so who knows. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Ekona said:

That sounds more like something from a US plant: tech spots faults down to a minute detail, but there’s so many faults that everything stops! 😂😂

Not the best time to change the production plant drastically They could have done that mid life cycle or in prep for a face lift in 2026. Seems everything was fine to produce press, test and youtuber cars. Then when 300 cars per month were required everything grinded to a halt. 

I don’t see it that way: more like there were faults with those early cars but they didn’t have the tech to catch it, now they do and rightfully they are withholding production to get it fixed before sending cars to buyers. It’s one thing to have paint that looks great to people who aren’t really looking for things like that, it’s another to have paint that falls apart apart after two years to consumers. 

From Pistonheads

Unfortunately you won’t be able to import the Nismo version of this car until it is at least 10 years old, and that assumes the VOSA import checks at that time allow newly imported old cars to be non EVs.

However even if that is the case, Nissan will not provide certain documentation for a Nismo product outside of its chosen markets. That is specifically you will need a type designation number which confirms the car is homologated to certain safety and environmental standards. And without it you cannot register it in the UK if the car is less than 10 years old
Is IVA no more?
Yeah I'll be honest, it's been a while since I looked into this but I think you could just IVA a Jap import now?

No chance , you need a TDN regardless and Nissan ain’t giving you one. I tried very hard a few years ago to import a Nismo Note but came across this issue. It’s not just that Nissan won’t provide the TDN, but that no one knows what format it should be in to pass the IVA.

Ah that's it, the TDN is the issue. I knew there was something different for under 10 years but it's really not clear on DVLA anymore. This is where you'd need to go through single vehicle approval isn't it which is a huge amount of money.

I seem to remember a company did it years ago for a Jap car, can't remember what it was though but it then allowed them to import them as they were never coming to the UK.

Edited by GranTurismoEra

On 10/08/2023 at 10:11, davey_83 said:

Infiniti could have done a powerful Q60 Hybrid as a glimpse into the future of Z. For the facelift model possibly.That would come with the typical tech and features of a luxury GT. Being Infiniti.

This particular model has a short lifespan with Japans new emissions laws for 2025