Nissan Officially Confirms New Z Car - 07.09.18

hmale4yu

The difference this time is that the source in question Alfonso Albaisa is q high up the Nissan  design team and has already confirmed details for the next gen Juke (which is set to be a major departure styling wise at least from the current model)

https://driving.ca/nissan/juke/auto-news/news/the-nissan-juke-is-coming-back-apparently-to-blow-our-minds

Edited by hmale4yu

The engine and appearance is pure speculation. All that's been confirmed* here is that Nissan is thinking of removing the nearly 10 year old 370Z from it's range and offering something else instead.

*I use the word sparingly; 3 sentences with no context at all. All that he's actually stated is that he is in a position to work on a Z car project. There's not even the suggestion that one is currently being undertaken, much less any details of any such project if indeed it does even exist.

39 minutes ago, Ekona said:

If it’s true, why aren’t there more outlets covering it? Why aren’t Nissan shouting about it with official press releases? 

Wont get an official statement until later down the line most likely. More websites covering since I posted first link 

Interesting to see next year what the new Juke is like late next year. If its been penned here in London i just hope that its not too conservative . London with its crap weather and German badge bias might lead to a generic design along with the usual boring colours to choose from

18 hours ago, ATTAK Z said:

Nissan are selling 370s off at big discounts in Oz so I hear ... so maybe ?

Its the same over here judging by some of the posts, £23k for base model and £30k ish for a Nismo, guessing they just have a load of stock they need shifting and realise not many people are going to pay full retail for an old model design and tech, not really sure it suggests a new model is imminent, if they are now "confirming" a new Z car i suspect its a least 4-5 years away so they need to get rid of the 370z backlog.

Theres a difference between revealed and confirm - obviously all images at this stage are mock ups 

Confirmation by a senior design exec shows that the ball is moving to an eventual replacement. Unlikely that he would just say things like that to cause attention

Facts are that there is a mild refresh for 2019 re the 370z - couple new colours and updated infotainment system. There are discounts going as mentioned. Likely the actual replacement will be unveiled/revealed  in 2020 but again that would be intelligent specualtion 

3 hours ago, hmale4yu said:

Confirmation by a senior design exec shows that the ball is moving to an eventual replacement. Unlikely that he would just say things like that to cause attention

Seriously?! Dude, if he’s been let loose to the media then that’s literally his job to do exactly that! :lol: 

The 370 sold pitifully (in comparison) as it was the wrong car at the wrong price point. Why would Nissan be desperate to follow it up any time soon? They either need to go cheaper (no chance), faster (nope, that’s GTR territory) or more premium (and get buyers out of a TT, Porsche or maybe Alpine?!). So, so unlikely on all counts. 

Maybe a Z replacement will come at some point. Maybe not. This just isn’t any kind of story though, it’s not confirming a damn thing other than someone at some point has shoved a sketch for a new car under his nose. Which ain’t gonna be a surprise to anyone, that will happen to him daily. 

Wait and see I guess only way to know for sure ha 

One things for certain is that the original lead designers that did the 370z don't work for Nissan anymore .

Alfonso Albaisa; did design the Infinfiti Q60 which imo was a v good looking car. not tempting fate here but chances are it'll look p cool when it arrives... someday lol

I havent read the full interview yet, has anyone got a link to it? The quotes are taken out of context, we should really see what the framing of the question was when the response was given. Then we can make a surer conclusion on what he was referring to. And on the image, its not even a mock up! Its an image that was invented by some people working on the motor1.com website, in fact it was the same image they used on a previous article back in May, where they openly say the image is 'something our artists have dreamed up' - its not a mock up or concept, its just something someone at a journalistic website has invented with no basis for what they drew.

23 hours ago, hmale4yu said:

in 2020 but again that would be intelligent specualtion 

The same dude also gave an interview at Goodwood re the GTR replacement, again, there was no confirmation to anything, might be hybrid, might not etc, the only confirmation was its coming at some point and would be pretty sure the new GTR will be their focus as its their premium model which has a huge cult following and there is no confirmed date for release yet, so i suspect a 370z to be a while after that and if its not on the design table now, there is no chance of a 2020 release date, especially if they are updating the 370z for 2019, they just wouldnt bother if a new one was imminent.

I will make you a bet, if its released in 2020 i will buy you one, after that you buy me one?

24 minutes ago, coldel said:

I havent read the full interview yet, has anyone got a link to it? The quotes are taken out of context, we should really see what the framing of the question was when the response was given. Then we can make a surer conclusion on what he was referring to.

Original source; https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/nissan-designer-confirms-next-gen-z-project

Which "confirms" no more than the OP's link. In fact, it actually offers less;

“The Z-car, oh my god. Huge pressure,” said Albaisa when reviewing the to-do list of Nissan design work. “You can imagine I’m completely excited that I am in the position to work on that.”

Yes even the whichcar link doesnt show the context. I guess they would have asked a question to which he reacted and that line about oh my god.... would be in there, but without the context who knows what exactly he was referring to and when he will be working on it.

Where he says he is in a position to work on it, it could be that a new Z car is pencilled in for the next 5-10 years, clearly he would be involved given his job role, but it could be nothing more than that. 

I don't think there,ll be any reveal till next year or 2020.....the chief engineer said theres another few years of the GTR also. Concept for z may be revealed in next year or 2020. Release date is probably 3-4 years off. in line with what the chief engineer of gtr mentioned in a different interview regarding next gtr.

Hes under pressure to get it right after the 370. Either way if it looks anything like the current Nismo ill be interested... there's no way itll be the same power current competition kills it.

I think 3 liter 400 bhp + with engine tuned from q60 would be nice for the nismo. and awd.....the next gtr could be around 650/700bhp based on the r50....i dont think itll affect sales...

people looking at GTR want GTR or similar rivals

I may be the only one but I'm in fact getting excited for the new Juke also. Since that car first came the segment has become even more competitive and I think they are under pressure for that as well

The design apparently was penned in London (saw a link somewhere in August where he directly mentions this and also says it will be a radical departure from the current model) . Just hoping that its not too bland - I dont think it can afford to be !

If the new juke is anything like the Gripz concept then might suggest that the Z replacement will be even further behind? Following articles from last yr and last month respectively is q interesting in how the two models have some connection

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/2770588/2017-nissan-juke-gripz-concept-unveiled/

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/second-gen-nissan-juke-due-2019-radical-styling/

Edited by hmale4yu