What's next after a 350z?

z350convert

Just thinking ahead and looking at what appeals to me if I want a change from the Z before we all have to drive little electric boxes or I go completely gaga, whichever comes sooner.

Money and running costs are an issue. At 71 I still want plenty of power, rear wheel drive, good handling a good noise and FUN. Don't want to tinker around so much mechanically now and dare I say it, maybe an auto would be something I could age with.

I was looking at Jaguar XK8 or even better, the XKR. Both have depreciated hugely and you can pick one up circa 10-15k. Great badge, V8, 4 litre, good looks, better prestige, reasonably well built and nice inside, convertible option. Power and performance on the XKR with the blower is more than enough and on the XK8 almost as good as Z.

However, when you look at purchase costs, fuel consumption, cost of parts, power output, reliability, maintenance costs, road handling, road tax and every day practicality you realise what a brilliant option the 350z is. So maybe a peachy 370z is the way to go? Or stay with my trusty 350, which I am very happy with now although, like it's owner is getting long in the tooth.

Comments welcome.

regards

For me, I see only 2 options (well for me anyway) the 370 or a 911 both just seem the perfect natural progression. However, the F type....

The 370, you know what you are going to get servicing and running will be more or less the same as the 350. The 911 more performance than both but a more rounded car overall. The service costs and parts hmmm could be a deal breaker even more so if you get a bad one.

F-Type, much bigger investment but the looks are unrivaled.

Edited by Willsy1980
  • Thanks 1

personally went from a 350z to a BMW 335i coupe. looks and sounds good, more power, more refinement, flappy paddle box was good.

other thoughts - plenty of older big engines mercs for the money, with v8s and v12s... all autos though. BMW coupes, 6 series, 3 series coupe?

jags are a good shout.

porsches - money might not stretch to a 911, but plenty of boxsters around at that price point.

911 is a good option and running costs maybe less than you think. My 997 turbo has a 20,000 mile service schedule. Minor service at my indi is £300 incl VAT. Major Service is only £370. That includes them fully valeting the car etc. Im getting nearly 30mpg so pretty economical for the performance. Insurance is cheaper than what I was paying on my 350z and stuff like tyres are about the same price I paid too. The biggest cost I found on running my 350z was depreciation. Looking at the prices over the last year its changed a bit now, but I lost £4000 a year on my zed. My 997 has not gone down in value over the last 18months. In fact, had I not used it, it would be worth roughly £10k more than what I paid, however im happily piling the miles on it as my daily.

How about an M3/4 or C63AMG?

An F Type or a 911 is a bloody big jump, and an XKR is a similarly aged car thats more likely to go wrong. XKR's are fair awesome though, it has to be said. 

370's arent hugely different from 350's, the car that always comes up in these is the Cayman though - more money but a better car all round IMO. Traditionally Ill usually mention I have a 135i at this point too :lol:, M135i's are ridiculous value ATM so worth a good look. 

I would have said a Cayman. A 370z is more of the same, just a bit more modern. The Jags you mention are long in the tooth also and from what I read up on them many suffer rust and other issues more than other cars of that era. 

Or if you are feeling adventurous and want to try out some yoga moves, get a Lotus Europa which is the more comfortable version of the S2 Elise ;)

All good thoughts thank you. I had a blast round in the big AMG Merc SL at the Brooklands  track and although it was truly mind boggling some of these supercars are so refined you can't feel anything. The 911 is a great option but everyone I know with one is always coughing up a fortune for parts. Boxter, I've driven one, much more refinement, yes a contender but it doesn't excite.. BMW range has to be considered especially with room in the back for grand children but I do like the selfish uncompromising 2 seater.

My elder brother had a TVR Griffith but the thing was always going off tune and costing him loads. It was truly fast and raw though, huge fun.

The Lotus range is I think a bit too expensive for me. I had a Westfield before I got the Nissan and that kept taking me through people's hedges. It may not have been the car's fault on reflection. I found that a bit too spartan after 8 years.

I will keep my options open and watch the prices. I still get a lot of fun out of my Z so there is no rush and at the moment it still ticks all the boxes.

Thanks

I guess it comes down to what excites you. After the Zed I bought an R33 Skyline and that certainly in a straight line is so much more exciting than the 350z and had a lot more theatre around it. The VX220 I got is much much more of a drivers car, made the zed feel like a van when I climbed back into one after a blat in the VX. The Celica I am in now gives me more practicality but an altogether different driving experience with similar power levels going to four wheels instead of two. 

My mate took me out in his Boxster S and I found that much more fun in terms of handling and having the roof down in a low slung car than the Zed. For me the Zed sounded good, rear wheel drive V6 which was OKish on fuel economy (VX and Celica are better) two seater GT experience. 

Reading between the lines in what you have put and the fact that you stated you were interested in the XKR I would think that rather than ask for options you are actually looking for a bigger GT style car for more leisurely driving  than anything more raw? 

In reference to the XKR I've driven both XK's and XKR's, 4.2/5.0.  Was determined to replace the Z for a while but gave up last year/early this yearish and decided to keep the Z.  My nieghbour also has one which I've had the luxury of firing about in a few times.  For the money you'd be looking at the 4.2 XK's with decent mileage but there about same performance or slightly slower than the Z.  The XKR's for that money would be higher mileage but still worth a punt.  Big V8's are reliable, its comfy, steering light (maybe too light) but precise, paddle shift/auto and a lovely noise.  They don't rust as such but get bubbling from the aluminium in some areas, early models suffer a 3/4 window panel issue which needs replacing.  The only major thing I found with them is battery and electrical issues but it seems to be from leaving it for a while and not driving it, although sometimes even for a few days.  I think if you actually used it daily and decent runs the electrical issues would not rear their head as they seem to stem from the battery health.  You can tell I did some research, I'd still love one but they are getting long in tooth. Still look amazing though and have presence as they are ..like DB9 size. 

EDIT: I'm talking about 2006 onwards btw, do not buy one prior to this the old shape... it will rust...to its death usually unless you wanna spend some cash

Edited by AMT

Obviously at the end of the day it's down to what you want from a car and what requirements it must have and all the other boring factors like costs etc...

However I'm 20, and even though I'm young to own a 350z, I'm still always asking the question of what next and I "think" I've decided on a BMW E46 M3 or a Z4M roadster/coupe (if they stop appreciating or a family member fancies passing one down :lol:)

But... I see these cars everyday and have driven them and even though they drive in a different league to my Z, there's no way they receive as much attention, sound as nice or look as sexyB)

Not a very useful reply but fancied sharing my confusion too!

"Reading between the lines in what you have put and the fact that you stated you were interested in the XKR I would think that rather than ask for options you are actually looking for a bigger GT style car for more leisurely driving  than anything more raw? "

Codel has it right I think. Maybe I'm thinking about a slightly more sedate drive but without losing too many of the Z qualities and performance.

Really useful comments from AMT and a good insiight into Jaguar ownership. Must say the thought does appeal.

thanks again.

Trouble with Jags is that they’re all sodding autos. That would make them a no go for me straightaway. They’re very heavy cars too, so definitely more wafted than sporty.

I’ve no idea what tuning options there is for them though. If you could transform one in the same way I've done to my 6er in terms of suspension work, then that could be a very good option.

6 hours ago, Ekona said:

Trouble with Jags is that they’re all sodding autos........ They’re very heavy cars too, so definitely more wafted than sporty.

Not entirely true Dan, mine's a five speed manual, 300bhp and weighs less than a a 350z. :p

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 24/11/2017 at 12:28, z350convert said:

However, when you look at purchase costs, fuel consumption, cost of parts, power output, reliability, maintenance costs, road handling, road tax

Anything half fun is going to go hand in glove with the above so fill your boots, you only live once, if you want practical, get a Micra :)

• Like 2