350z remap - is it worth it?

Christy.71

Hey guys!

My bro was saying I shd look into getting my 350z remapped.

I dunno if its worth it as it gives an extra 10hp which is like only 3% more, a light lunch or loosing a few pounds would have a better affect on the power to weight ratio!!

Does anyone have any gud experience of these?? if so what do you think??

Thanks!!

Christine

Welcome along Christine,

Have a search through the site as there are many threads on this subject including one which shows the dyno read outs pre-post of the remap.

To have it done properly and tailored to your car you will need an uprev licence put on by one of the certified centres - two closest ones to you are going to be Abbey Motorsports and Horsham Developments (depending on what bit of London you are in). It will free up some power, but works best when you have breathing mods put on such as panel filter. exhaust, sports cats/decats.

Its not worth it for the hp increase imo but it is worth it in the way the car drives afterwards , they just feel more lively and responsive

Exactly this. Its easy to focus on that peak bhp gain but it doesnt represent the value of an uprev (or any remap actually) - what counts is the increased area under the graph ie overall gains rather than peak gain, removing flat spots etc. across the whole rev range.

• Like 1

Its not worth it for the hp increase imo but it is worth it in the way the car drives afterwards , they just feel more lively and responsive

Exactly this. Its easy to focus on that peak bhp gain but it doesnt represent the value of an uprev (or any remap actually) - what counts is the increased area under the graph ie overall gains rather than peak gain, removing flat spots etc. across the whole rev range.

There are also other factors such as the removal of the throttle restriction in the first three gears, I got a remap done recently by Dyna Tune and gained 15hp and 10lbft of torque from just some HFC and a panel filter.

• Like 1

I would consider and ask yourself, why do you 'want' a remap?

If it's chasing numbers that's fine, i don't have a problem with that myself. If it's to result in a faster car, again no issues there. However 1000 miles or 3 tanks of fuel later once you got​ use to the gains, you've shown your mates the new pops and bangs - at this point pretty much the outlay results in something added to your spec list and not a fat lot else truth be told.

With my last car a full bolt on SR20 Almera GTi, with intake, exhaust, tomei cams, custom hand built equal length header, lightweight flywheel and pulleys a remap ideally would have been needed as at low rpm it wasn't that nice to drive. Some cam'd high comp N/A and boost builds need a remap, a stock cam'd VQ35 doesn't.

Edited by davey_83

Bar all of the above points, a remap can provide a real insight into the health of your engine. Not only that but it provides the best basis for supporting your modifications. Some could cause your engine to run lean, or rich, decatting for an example. Remapping brings these into check while providing any possible gains, whats not to like?

• Like 1

a light lunch or loosing a few pounds would have a better affect on the power to weight ratio!!

Most sensible advice with regards to an uprev imho :)

I think the most noticeable change is the removal of the throttle restriction, i would bet if the throttle restriction was left on no one would notice the remap itself.

• Like 1

Do it, I did, more hp, more torque, thats what i noticed most, smoother torque curve...but do the breather mods, exhaust and or de cats etc etc.

Funnily enough, mine gained hp after adding the mods without remap, then with uprev pushed it just over 300bhp. Not bad for a DE.

Also gives you a good idea as to how healthy your engine is too.

Horsham Developments were great.

Edited by zippypooz

Iv got a 2004 DE with 98k... im thinking of doing this aswell.

iv got a panel filter and k1 exhaust already, I was thinking of getting a plenum spacer and remapping at that.

I would like to get some HFC s but it will make my exhaust a lot louder won't it??? Which I don't really want because I won't pass trackday Sound testing then. Or do the resonated ones not increase the volume??

But then without HFC s I won't really get any gains, other than throttle response.

Iv got a 2004 DE with 98k... im thinking of doing this aswell.

iv got a panel filter and k1 exhaust already, I was thinking of getting a plenum spacer and remapping at that.

I would like to get some HFC s but it will make my exhaust a lot louder won't it??? Which I don't really want because I won't pass trackday Sound testing then. Or do the resonated ones not increase the volume??

But then without HFC s I won't really get any gains, other than throttle response.

It'll make it louder yea but it's not OTT, this is a video of mine with HFC fitted on the stock exhaust

If you don't want to fork out on a re-map then these are good fun:

https://www.tarmacsp...5de-engine.html

I'd say only re-map if you do the necessary mods first. This is going to cost 1k plus if you are looking at exhaust, filter plenum spaces etc. The above throttle controller will give a far more responsive car for just £100 with no other mods and is an easy to fit.

It's a lot more peppy when you get it remapped.

TDI North did mine. But it was part of a stage 1 tuning package.

Made 298bhp, up from 275bhp.

TDI have it advertised on here..

Http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/70270-staged-tuning-packages-for-350z-and-370z/

You really do notice the change. You won't be disappointed if you go for stage 1.

Does yours have an aftermarket exhaust system?

Edited by TT350

Does 350z have electrical delay on gas pedal when you floor it and did it have some kind of limiter in 1-3 gear?

If so, then it makes sense to get that throttle controller. At least it does not feel to kick rear loose that easy to compared my old r33 gts-t and s13 with same power.

Edited by Jontte

I still refute that a throttle controller makes a car more responsive. Sensitive, yes. Responsive, no.

I'd say you can also make a car more sensitive by wearing heavier shoes.

Hence my discredit.

Does 350z have electrical delay on gas pedal when you floor it and did it have some kind of limiter in 1-3 gear?

If so, then it makes sense to get that throttle controller.

Yes, but a throttle controller will not affect those, only a remap.

Wow guys, a lot of great replies :) Thank you!!!!!

From the posts here I have the following conclusions.

The remap only helps the torque/bhp curves slightly and the max torque/bhp is only slightly increased.The real good of it seems to be the throttle response and making the most of other mods.

So until I have mods I'm thinking a 90 quid throttle controller will give my 90% of the benefit. After I do some mods it may be worth looking into remapping.

Id be a bit thick of me if I were to remap then mod and need another remap! (dunno about yous but 50quid notes dont grow on my conifers!)

Mod wise, my bro thinks making it breathe easier though exhaust and intake mods would be the next performance level outside of NOS/Induction. So ill prob get the map after that work :) (and some scrimping!!!)

• Like 1

I think your bro has set priorities right :lol:

Intake kit like KN Typhoon, plenum spacer, decats and exhaust.

One of good investment too is a solid flywheel. Really gives a more edge to car liveliness.

Just for reference I will attach my dyno sheet prior remapping car with all mods and afterwards

Really changes the nature of car and how it drives, sounds and behaves.

Since I have UP Rev software prior remap I did remove this 1 2 3 gear limit and max speed limit. Honestly I haven't noticed too much difference prior and after removing limits.

Really difference came after a proper remap

Red one is after a remap and green is OEM. Blue was some map which I bought online

e5051013fa7dad69cd28dcc1ac37f9aa.jpg663148639544345f37700a3e10fae2dd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Edited by Snjur
  • Like 1