95 ron or 97 ron

james852

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fill up with Super (97, 98 or 99RON) by choice but often end up sticking 95RON in when I'm at a crap filling station or happen to pull up at a pump that doesn't deliver it. I haven't performed any benchmarks but I can;t say I really notice the difference pootling up and down the motorway.

I always use 95 RON. I'm not bothered about losing a few horse's that i never get to use on the road anyway :)

I reckon you can spare a few! :lol:

:lol:

Plus it saves me about £5 per tank :blush::lol:

put 97 ron in you tight tw@t........... :thumbs:

:lol::lol::lol:

By about 15-20bhp :thumbs:

Sounds a bit high (5-7% for 2 RON) and surely the ECU compensates for this after while???

Manual recommends 97 so I would guess not.

I use 95 all the time as the weather is wet and slippy at the mop and I don't need the horses in the wet. Roll on the summer!

As 97 is about 5p more per litre, do you get ... um ... 4% more mpg? I always thought better RON gave better mpg too?

Starting the off with Zed with 97. Then after six months tried 95 and did not make much difference, about the same difference as fitting spills grounding kit.

If you are doing a track day or dyno run and you want max performance then just fill up one tank earlier and by the time you do the track day it will be setup for the 97.

I would put money on most people spend less than 5% of time on the road at redline (max revs) so you are never using the extra power it gives. If I want to go faster with 95 in the tank I just press the pedal harder and it goes faster 95% of the time.

Therefore 95% of the time I am saving money by running with 95Ron..

PS it used to have a link on the Nissan site saying it would not harm your engine running 95 all the time, just said you would lose some power.

PPS do you think I like the number 95.

Sounds a bit high (5-7% for 2 RON) and surely the ECU compensates for this after while???

Sorry it's about 15ps reduction, yes the ecu does compensate for the 2 less ron but i doubt very much that it compensate's you for the lost power. If that was the case we would all be using 95 ron. ;)

Sorry it's about 15ps reduction, yes the ecu does compensate for the 2 less ron but i doubt very much that it compensate's you for the lost power. If that was the case we would all be using 95 ron. ;)

I believe it compensates by winding back the timing which is where the power loss is incurred. 97RON it has more control over the timing (less likely to detonate?) and can advance it to give more power over 95RON. As the others have said, most of the time you wont notice. I just like to be nice to my baby as work pays for my fuel :blush:

Chris

My works pays for fuel also but still put 95 most of the time.

Anything that work pay for is likely to be on your P11d and therefore you get taxed on it. So really your are likely to be paying only 40% of the difference between 95 and 97 but you will be paying. I am closer to £5k of fuel now and therefore a 10% saving is worth it.

Chris

Anything that work pay for is likely to be on your P11d and therefore you get taxed on it. So really your are likely to be paying only 40% of the difference between 95 and 97 but you will be paying. I am closer to £5k of fuel now and therefore a 10% saving is worth it.

[numpty_hat] OK, probably me being dumb, but I havent ever filled out a P11d. Would they somehow be doing this for me and then that being added to my tax code for PAYEE?

[/numpty_hat]

I've used super unleaded, bp ultimate etc since I bought the car last year. I thought i might harm it if I didn't but if sarnie's putting 95 in his lambo then bugger it, I'm sticking some in the Z! There's not many petrol stations near me that do super so it's good to know i CAN put 95 in!

Chris,

Your company will always sent it to tthe Tax Office and give you a copy.

Then when you fill in tax form you fill in the details from the P11d.

They should match. They will then treat it like "unearned income" and tax it at your rate, likely to be 40%.

Then on your tax return you claim back your business miles, 40p for first 10,000 miles as an allowance. This is then offset against the tax bill.

To cut a long story short, if you do 8,000 business miles then its worth filling in forms. The offset value is likely to be bigger than the tax on the fuel and then the nice tax man sends you a cheque instead of a demand for monies.

Chris

[numpty_hat] OK, probably me being dumb, but I havent ever filled out a P11d. Would they somehow be doing this for me and then that being added to my tax code for PAYEE?

[/numpty_hat]