95 ron or 97 ron

james852

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I see, I think this is for the case then they pay the actual fuel bill, as in the company fuel card? I get paid a certain number of pence per mile by work. I think thats where its different :thumbs: The only tax I claim back is on the difference between the government recommended rate of 45p (<10k per annum) and what work pay me.

Chris,

Your company will always sent it to tthe Tax Office and give you a copy.

Then when you fill in tax form you fill in the details from the P11d.

They should match. They will then treat it like "unearned income" and tax it at your rate, likely to be 40%.

Then on your tax return you claim back your business miles, 40p for first 10,000 miles as an allowance. This is then offset against the tax bill.

To cut a long story short, if you do 8,000 business miles then its worth filling in forms. The offset value is likely to be bigger than the tax on the fuel and then the nice tax man sends you a cheque instead of a demand for monies.

Chris

My works pays for fuel also but still put 95 most of the time.

Anything that work pay for is likely to be on your P11d and therefore you get taxed on it. So really your are likely to be paying only 40% of the difference between 95 and 97 but you will be paying. I am closer to £5k of fuel now and therefore a 10% saving is worth it.

[numpty_hat] OK, probably me being dumb, but I havent ever filled out a P11d. Would they somehow be doing this for me and then that being added to my tax code for PAYEE?

[/numpty_hat]

Polarbear,

Make you you are claiming the allowance/offset back as I should get approx £1000 cheque from the nice Tax Office.

I just like to be nice to my baby as work pays for my fuel :blush:

...so does mine, but (a) they get touchy about premier fuels, and (B) I still end up paying 40% of it as a taxable benefit :rant:

I put 97RON (V Power) in as everytime I have tested it the cost per mile is less with the premium stuff in the tank. :)

That's what I`m interested in hearing. So the higher priced fuel does actually give you a better mpg? I`ve got an empty tank so I`ll go fill up with the posh stuff now and see how I do :)

I put 97RON (V Power) in as everytime I have tested it the cost per mile is less with the premium stuff in the tank. :)

That's what I`m interested in hearing. So the higher priced fuel does actually give you a better mpg? I`ve got an empty tank so I`ll go fill up with the posh stuff now and see how I do :)

In my 'tests' yes. My Zed went about 10% further on average and at the time the fuel was 9% more expensive. :)

In my 'tests' yes. My Zed went about 10% further on average and at the time the fuel was 9% more expensive. :)

I get another ~5MPG more with Tesco 99RON over 95RON, which would be ~15% improvement so this tallies with the above :thumbs:

Polarbear,

Make you you are claiming the allowance/offset back as I should get approx £1000 cheque from the nice Tax Office.

Err, wassat then???

Me (plus my accountant) follow the rules in that private fuel is a taxable benefit therefore you pay as if the gross cost was part of your salary, so you pay the chancellor 10%/22%(soon to be 20%)/40% of this at the various breakpoints.

Am I missing something???

I get another ~5MPG more with Tesco 99RON over 95RON, which would be ~15% improvement so this tallies with the above :thumbs:

Hmmm. Tesco 99 has a lot of Ethanol in it. Not my cup of tea for my Z !

You still pay for private fuel, but you should be able to claim back business mileage. If you do more business miles than personal then you will likely have a bigger allownace than you are taxed on your personal ones. (assuming you are not spending more than 40p per mile in fuel)

Polarbear,

Err, wassat then???

Me (plus my accountant) follow the rules in that private fuel is a taxable benefit therefore you pay as if the gross cost was part of your salary, so you pay the chancellor 10%/22%(soon to be 20%)/40% of this at the various breakpoints.

Am I missing something???

• 3 weeks later...
i did a test at 70mph on the motoer way on 95 ron i got 33.0mpg and on 97 ron i was getting 33.8mpg not much in it really.

Air density, humidity, temperature, tyre pressures and throttle position all identical?? :);)

• 2 weeks later...
well i guess so:wacko: i drove down to london on 95 and back again the next day in the same kind of weather on 97.

The ECU wont adjust immediately on the way up, its pretty quick on the way down because the knock sensor causes the engine to back off the timing but you need to get to nearly empty, fill up with 97, run that through and the next tankful of 97 after that will show the full improvement.

Having said that I only really noticed the power benefit when *hooning*, I suspect because the timing map is not that different at lower rpm for either fuel, motorways showed very little difference in mpg for me.

• 2 months later...

I'd reco. using Vpower of BP Ultimate, although it is a more expensive way to run an already thirsty car, I have noticed the performance drtop when I've been forced to use 95ron, however if petrol prices keep increasing as they are at the moment :rant: and my fuel bill hitting £500+ per month :angry: I may soon be using 95ron.

Is there an addiditve that you can put in the tank?? as besides the performance, the Vpower of BP Ultimate clean the engine as they go better than regular fuel. :thumbs:

i always use V-power its just gotta be better for the internals than the cheap sh!t supermarkets sell!!!

James, you do realise the only difference between cheap sh!t and supermarket stuff is the additives they stick in the tanker? I cant remember if it was on here or Cupra net, but there was a lad who worked in the business and he informatively told us the additives were the only diff. The actual petrol is the same ;)

There was a mention that supermarkets put in rough measurements where as BP / Shell etc put in measured amounts.

I don't like BP fuel as it's frothy as hell. It annoys me so I don't use it.

I have used Tesco 99 without a problem but use Shell V power as it's close to me.

Yeah I think it comes down to the closest garage really. BP are just around the corner, but Tesco are about another 2mins away (and on my way to work) and are a hell of a lot cheaper. :teeth: I did once have to put 10 quids worth of Morrisons 95RON in and felt dirty :blush:

I know that feeling, I've always run the car on vpower or bp Ultimate right from the start but every now again I have been caught with the feeling of is there enough to get to my BP/Shell garage, no I'd better not risk it - being at the side of the road with a Zed that's run out of fuel is the ultimate shameful experience - so I had to put £10 of normal ASDA fuel in :yuck:

I had to apologise to the car for the horrible taste in its pipes and promptly topped up with some good juice :thumbs:

Putting £10 in made me feel a bit 'Pikey' as well - you could almost imagine the comments - he's got the car but can't afford to run it!! :dry:

My problem is that discounting the Shell garage which I wont use for reasons I wont go into it costs me two gallons to go and fill up.

And remember these are distances by crow so 10 miles to Morecambe would get the car a little wet.

Barrow-in-furness 18.26 miles 120.9p 01-07-2008

Shell Lakeland Barrow-in-furness 16.62 miles 121.9p 27-06-2008

Tribicar Filling Station Morecambe 10.82 miles 122p 01-07-2008

Lound Road Garage Ltd Kendal 18.89 miles 122.9p 27-06-2008

Shell Ulverston Ulverston 7.32 miles 123.9p 27-06-2008

Shell West View Fleetwood 18.87 miles 123.9p 27-06-2008

Canal Garage Milnthorpe 18.97 miles 123.9p 01-07-2008

Hills Garage Ambleside 17.08 miles 124.9p 29-06-2008

Plantation Filling Station Kendal 17.77 miles 124.9p 29-06-2008

Bowling Green Filling Station Lancaster 16.51 miles 125.9p 27-06-2008