So the laws of the road are changing

DaddyCee

I believe most speedos say you're going faster than you actually are. :thumbs:

They do, the average is 6%. BMWs usually over estimate about 7% (source: time spent on BMW enthusiast forums), Hondas around 5% over (Source: own tests on S2000 and EP3 type R, both with stock rims and tyres), don't have any data from other MFRs.

Of course, as soon as you change tyres, you need to have the rollout data (comparative circumferences) to calculate how much you've changed that.

Edited by Aashenfox

...and those not in the 'most' group? Just seems daft to have a 1 mph difference when every single driver in the country will at some point in their car slightly push over 30mph and hit 31mph they are then means tested for a fine for being a speeder when they are anything but...

I don't think that part was entirely true. I'm sure the same leniency that is applied currently will remain. They can't bring in laws regarding phones (because they are a distraction), but then require everyone to watch their speedo like a hawk rather than paying attention to the road.

Personally, I think it's more dangerous to be watching your speedo and trying to maintain say 28-30mph than it is to just go 40-50...

Every time you speed and get caught, you're an idiot. You're screwing over every other sensible driver.

Cams and cops tend to sit either in 30/40 zones, or on boring motorways. These are either dull places to speed, or boring places to speed. Every time you get done you reinforce the fact that it's an easy money earner for The Man: If we all stopped getting caught, they wouldn't be able to afford to run the bloody things!

Stop driving like knobs and getting caught, and be a considerate driver to the rest of us.

Cams and cops tend to sit either in 30/40 zones, or on boring motorways.

Except the nice open stretches of road that would be perfect for a blast and they stick a 40 on there with a load of cameras for no reason.

Then there's the narrowest bendiest road which you'd struggle to go 40 on and it's national speed limit.

Speed limits are arbitrary bollocks.

Edited by Strudul

I believe most speedos say you're going faster than you actually are. :thumbs:

Have used a Snooper (gps) for years that for every car up the '45 showed the 350s/370 were around 3-4mph over-reading @ 60mph.

Now though the '45 speedo is spot on with the Snooper (or just 1mph either way) no doubt due to Merc using gps ot only for their navigation but for the speedo too. Very obvious now how other cars are slowing by a few more mph than I'm doing so often helps for a free overtake.😆

Now though the '45 speedo is spot on with the Snooper (or just 1mph either way) no doubt due to Merc using gps ot only for their navigation but for the speedo too. Very obvious now how other cars are slowing by a few more mph than I'm doing so often helps for a free overtake.😆

I assume it can fallback on the traditional method if you lose GPS signal then? :lol:

• Like 1

Every time you speed and get caught, you're an idiot. You're screwing over every other sensible driver.

Cams and cops tend to sit either in 30/40 zones, or on boring motorways. These are either dull places to speed, or boring places to speed. Every time you get done you reinforce the fact that it's an easy money earner for The Man: If we all stopped getting caught, they wouldn't be able to afford to run the bloody things!

Stop driving like knobs and getting caught, and be a considerate driver to the rest of us.

Most of the time these are 30/40 roads for a reason ie schools houses industrial areas with lots of junctions, so I agree you should be sensible in these. But I do prefer to sit at 80 on motorways when I don't have cruise control, don't know why. With CC I can sit at 70 all the live long day quite happily

Most of the time these are 30/40 roads for a reason ie schools houses industrial areas with lots of junctions, so I agree you should be sensible in these. But I do prefer to sit at 80 on motorways when I don't have cruise control, don't know why. With CC I can sit at 70 all the live long day quite happily

Around my way they seem to either sit in 30mph zones, (which fair enough, if you speed in a 30 then your an idiot), but also sit on nice backroads where they know on a Sunday afternoon people will be out for a spirited drive. Last year I remember one day in particular when I was out on my Ducati when I actually went past 3 speed traps all on the same road. They were hidden behind trees/bushes just after the 30mph speed limit turned into national speed limit. They were clearly trying to catch bikers who might sit religiously at 30 in a 30, but then open it up on the quiet national speed limit stretch. One trap I could understand, but 3 on the same day within about a 5 mile radius. Mad. Luckily I spotted them before hand. Have to say the coppers looked gutted, as they must have heard my exhausts for miles away approaching only to find I was doing 55 in a 60 :lol:

• Like 1

Personally, I think it's more dangerous to be watching your speedo and trying to maintain say 28-30mph than it is to just go 40-50...

Definitely agree with you on the dangers of people staring at their speedometers.

My old comprehensive school has a speed camera outside it and every time I've driven past it in the opposite direction I see people's eye's looking down at their speedometers. A few metres up from the speed camera is a pedestrian crossing so it doesn't take a genius to realise that if the drivers are looking at their speedometers instead of the road it's only a matter of time till a child/adult is knocked down on that crossing or another car will be rear ended. :wacko:

Wish you could apply for a permit and take a secondary test that allowed you to drive beyond the speed limit if you could prove that you and your car are capable of safely doing so.

That'd all be very well though until some other numpty pulled out on you or cut you up etc.

Doesn't matter if you're Ayrton Senna or some other top notch driver there will always be other people on the roads who aren't as capable or aware who will cause accidents. ;)

That'd all be very well though until some other numpty pulled out on you or cut you up etc.

Doesn't matter if you're Ayrton Senna or some other top notch driver there will always be other people on the roads who aren't as capable or aware who will cause accidents. ;)

But if you have performance brakes, you can stop faster than someone without them. If you are a better driver, you also have more chance of being able to manoeuvre out of danger and recover control of the car. Hence the requirement for yourself and your car to meet the criteria.

But if you have performance brakes, you can stop faster than someone without them. If you are a better driver, you also have more chance of being able to manoeuvre out of danger and recover control of the car. Hence the requirement for yourself and your car to meet the criteria.

Not sure if serious and really arguing the point? :dry::lol:

Some accidents cannot be avoided no matter how good you are behind the wheel or what sort of performance car or car parts you have.

Trust me on that it's from experience, ...I've been driving longer than you've been alive.

• Like 2

My Mum told me treat every other driver like a fool who could do anything at any point and you might just survive. She also there is a time and place to boot it. So far no accidents, no points but still have fast fun.

Edited by Jay84
  • Like 2

Some accidents cannot be avoided no matter how good you are behind the wheel or what sort of performance car or car parts you have.

Trust me on that it's from experience, ...I've been driving longer than you've been alive.

:lol:

Kinda, but mainly just fantasising about my dream world. ;)

Of course you are right, but the same is true even if you aren't speeding. Best driver, best reactions, best car, you can have an accident at 5 mph due to some idiot. Doesn't mean we should penalise everyone and enforce low speed limits though :(

My Mum told me treat every other driver like a fool who could do anything at any point and you might just survive. She also there is a time and place to boot it. So far no accidents, no points but still have fast fun.

My general train of thought when driving is to expect every single other driver (and pedestrian) to pull / jump / swerve / brake in front of you and be ready for it.

Oh and assume the guy behind you isn't paying attention and will ram into the back of you if you have to brake hard.

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 1

Firstly im not condoning these offences. This is clearly a deterrent measure and cash cow designed to scare motorists because the continual cuts to road policing budgets mean there are less people to actually enforce it. Same with mobile phones. The lack of policing on the roads due to budget cuts with more to come this year speaks volumes here.

Bottom line is, your less likely to get caught but if you do they can still bring in a decent amount of revenue.

Not sure whether or not it's FB propaganda but since the fines for mobiles has gone up the police in derby have been out in force. Like I say relying on Facebook for news is like relying on the Sun.

If I ever catch a police camera chase thing on tv, just about every driver they stop is already disqualified from driving, cant afford to pay the fine, obviously not taxed or insured and clearly dont give a s**t, so as ever, all this does is affect the general law abiding citizens like us lot.

Focus your attention on the repeat offenders ffs, their the ones costing police time and risking lives...

• Like 1

:lol:

Kinda, but mainly just fantasising about my dream world. ;)

Of course you are right, but the same is true even if you aren't speeding. Best driver, best reactions, best car, you can have an accident at 5 mph due to some idiot. Doesn't mean we should penalise everyone and enforce low speed limits though :(

Completely agree with you again but, ...this is how Britain is unfortunately.

Some idiot does something, the papers go mental over it, petitions launched etc, eventually gets discussed by some over paid individuals who have no idea about the real world and suddenly it's the law of the land. Bit more to it than that but you get the gist. :dry:

Just look at the handgun laws which came into force in 1996 after the appalling Dunblane massacre. Started because some nutcase went and shot a load of kids. Doesn't mean every handgun owner in the UK would do that but still the majority lost out because of his actions.

• Like 1