For those with D1 throttle controllers

Ekona

How have you described the device to your insurers? And how keen were they to accept it?

I ask as my mate who owns the Gallardo is struggling to insure it with a Sprint Booster attached (same thing, adjusts throttle sensitivity) as the underwriter says "I am not keen to cover this modification. It seems that although the BHP isn’t increased there is more chance of losing control of the vehicle or causing an accident due to the high sensitivity of the throttle after installation. There is also several reports of engine failure/fires linked to this device".

Now I call BS on the fires and engine failure isn't covered by insurance anyway, but the losing control thing makes sense I guess. I just wondered who you guys are insured with, and how did you describe the mod?

For this example, let's pretend no-one's actually stupid enough to fit one and then not tell their insurer.

Can't a throttle controller also be used to reduce throttle sensitivity, and with it the chance of losing control or causing an accident? Insurer would never see it that way, but I'm just saying :)

As for the engine failure, insurance doesn't cover it directly, but surely having an engine failure isn't exactly a safe situation to occur at "70"mph on a busy motorway?

Edited by Strudul

Can't a throttle controller also be used to reduce throttle sensitivity, and with it the chance of losing control or causing an accident? Insurer would never see it that way, but I'm just saying :)

True, and I guess if it was only fitted for that purpose they may not care quite so much.

This is going to be a very quiet thread :lol:

Worryingly, I think you're correct.

I think a lot of people use the excuse that it's so easy to just unplug and pretend it's not there :shrug:

However, the question does raise more about other mods:

Tyres

- I don't think anyone declares these because you don't have to.

- Performance ones allow you to drive harder, but also stop better.

- Budget ones are more dangerous.

Brakes

- I believe you have to declare these.

- Performance ones allow you to drive harder because you can stop better.

- Budget ones are more dangerous.

way to get good responses to a thread, call 90% of your intended audience stupid...

Hopefully some insurers will come along with the official verdict.

On a related note, Dan, is there any modification that you wouldn't declare to an insurer? where do you draw the line?

Well, if people are going to do stupid things I'm going to call them on it :lol: Besides, if they haven't declared it then they're no help to me anyway.

I wouldn't declare a 350z-uk sticker stuck to the car somewhere. I wouldn't declare if I sprayed my wheel nuts black, or my rusting backbox (fnar) silver. I wouldn't declare putting better spark plugs in. I wouldn't declare a CG Lock.

There's probably more, I'm just trying to think of obscure stuff.

• Like 1

^Stickers and paint should both be declared.

May depend on the insurer, but with Admiral, those both come under "exterior decorative changes". They have an effect on your premium and must be declared.

Not to be a nob about it, but not declaring them would just give a way for an insurer to void your policy. In your own words, it's stupid.

Edited by Strudul

^Stickers and sprayed wheel nuts both nuts should both be declared.

May depend on the insurer, but with Admiral, those both come under "exterior decorative changes". They have an effect on your premium and must be declared.

you mean you have to declare the 'rice' and you might also be charged for it :lol:

I wouldn't declare anything that is uprated oem stock, eg fitting standard sized set of performance d&p. If however Id increased the disc diameter and fitted bigger calipers, Id declare.

Not sure on brakes, but I was told that it's fine not to declare things like a K&N oil filter.

The reason being when I wrote off my celica, I'd had everything declared, but the garage only look at the obvious things, induction kit, body work wheel etc. I had black diamond d&p declared but they said they didnt matter as they were the same diamter etc of standard

• Like 1

Tbh, in the real world if you didn't involve anyone else they're only going to have a cursory glance. If you run into a bus stop full of kids you cripple for life, they're going to start being a bit more thorough.

• Like 1

True, mine was involved in a minor flooding incident where water was sucked into engine thanks to a winning combination on lowering springs, front splitter and induction kit. I declared everything and they paid out. Going back to you original question though its a tough one to call, on the vauxhalls, its literally the only functon of the sports button, shorter throttle response making it feel faster, but adding no real gains to power

Notified my insurance broker when I fitted mine, told them what it does and doesn't do, accepted no problem. I email my broker every time I add a mod, fully describing what it does, never had any issues with them, however I am on a moddified car policy, which I'm told by my insurer is the best way to insure if you want to continually add mods to your car. Only thing that seems to get questioned is any power increase modding, but even then when my car went from standard bhp to 300 ish I didn't get any increase, turboing, supercharging also easily accepted, however they won't touch a NOS' d car :dry: .

I sent a spreadsheet of parts replaced/upgraded to my insurer and they didn't have a problem with it. Phoned me to check a few things, but they we're awesome about it. I've always found telling them everything helps, because it shows you care, so the broker cares and puts more effort in to help you :lol:

• Like 1

I've heard about Lambo engine fires and believe they are more common than you realise. Can't imagine its linked to an aftermarket throttle control though.

Why on earth would you need more sensitivity in a Lambo?

• Like 2

I wouldn't declare anything that is uprated oem stock, eg fitting standard sized set of performance d&p. If however Id increased the disc diameter and fitted bigger calipers, Id declare.

trouble with that is if you've went to the expense of uprated over stock, which can be 100's of £'s dearer then you can't claim for them if your in a accident

I didnt tell my insurance company as I didnt consider it a mod anymore than a new stereo, a turbo timer or a different brand of tyres. Like others have said, half of modern cars already have a similar feature, it doesnt actually improve or reduce performance so whats the big deal? Sure, it might make you accelerate faster but so do heavier shoes :lol: