Is autotrader worth it?

shandy77

Whats the opinion of Autotrader as a tool for selling a car?

I've opted for eBay and Pistonheads since the cost is lower but wondering if the bigger exposure autotrader would give is negated by it not really being the right audience for a Z.

Thoughts?

(just realised I accidentally posted in technical rather than general)

Edited by shandy77

Depends on the Marque i think. If you are selling a Lambo Huracan or a GT3 turbo i guess autotrader has more of your buying audience looking at their pages more regularly than people looking for a sub 12k fun-machine?

Ebay is great for exposure, opens you to a nationwide search for all, but also to a lot of timewasters. Gumtree is much more localized, but varies from region to region as to how popular it is. Pistonheads is great for sub 15k i find but also full of folks who think 8k ono means 2k plus a top end rattling fiesta as px.

At end of the day, advertising nationally will give you great exposure but be ready to spend time weeding out the bullshitters. Ebay is almost free and gumtree completely free. Pistonheads thereafter then autotrader top end?

I agree with marzman, AT to me seems outdated unless looking for a 70K plus motor, and with ebay you can check out potential buyers history

Ive used auto trader and eBay to sell a car.

Auto trader tends to attract more sensible buyers in my opinion. But the best package for 6 weeks is £50 or more. EBay is cheaper to advertise, gets loads of views but you also get a ridiculous amount of stupid messages.

I put my zed on eBay last year, after 4 days the ad had 1300 views, 250 watchers and about a dozen messages asking if I would accept a stupidly low price (2-3k less than advertised). By day 5 I couldn't take any more and took the advert down. Decided to keep it and put some work in.

Where would you look to buy a car? Put yourself in the buyers shoes

You can't ignore the amount of cars on auto trader. Every time I look for a car (either for myself or a relative/friend) I go to autotrader first. 9 times out of 10 they have more adverts for that model than anywhere else

Yes it's pricy but you get a lot of exposure

Best thing to do to get maximum exposure is to advertise everywhere

The right car with the right ad at the right price will sell.

AT has the biggest viewer base by far, it's the definitive place to sell. That said, whilst I'd use it for general cars for sporty stuff I reckon PH is the easiest, plus it's free if you've been a member a long time. eBay I've never used to sell, but I have bought from there.

I was about to pull the confused :wacko: face when I read the OP and first comment mentioning its too expensive, before going to check current prices.

WTF has happened to them? I advertised the M6 with them late 2015 through early 2016 for £5.95 for 8 weeks at a time, now they're looking £37 for a fortnight :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

When i am looking to buy, i literally look everywhere, autotrader, ebay, pistonheads, gumtree etc

I guess it just depends on what your preference is to where you would look first, so if you see a good example in the first place you look, unlikely you will look elsewhere, unless of course it turns out to be not what your expecting, but personally i draw up a shortlist so look everywhere anyway.

You can't ignore the amount of cars on auto trader. Every time I look for a car (either for myself or a relative/friend) I go to autotrader first. 9 times out of 10 they have more adverts for that model than anywhere else

Yes it's pricy but you get a lot of exposure

Best thing to do to get maximum exposure is to advertise everywhere

Me personally I always look on autotrader. EBay just seems like the cat d market where you are likely to get stung.

Autotrader automatically list a car if it's been a write off previously, the seller has no choice as it's done through the reg. Autotrader also have a complaints department which is good if you need help.

Iv got my Z on there now and had it on for 6 weeks. Had 2 emails and when I responded had no replies. Iv got it up dirt cheap as I just resent going to the "webuyanycar" type sites but its looking like im going to have to. Mine is a GT 313 roadster and top spec apart from a sat nav and still no takers. I know its a bad time of year to sell a roadster but for the price I have it up for I thought it would be snapped up. Probably would if people bothered to come and view it

All of the traders i know seem to stick their cars on autotrader, ebay & PH. As a seller, i usually just use ebay, as 99.9% of people looking will look on ebay as part of their search anyway. When ive been buying, ive not really seen many private sellers use autotrader anymore.

I was about to pull the confused :wacko: face when I read the OP and first comment mentioning its too expensive, before going to check current prices.

WTF has happened to them? I advertised the M6 with them late 2015 through early 2016 for £5.95 for 8 weeks at a time, now they're looking £37 for a fortnight :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep, that £37 option doesn't actually let you write an advert either. You can tick some boxes to show the options and do a header, but to actually write an advert you have to plump for the £50 option.

Pistonheads is about £11.99 for a month by comparison.

Yep, that £37 option doesn't actually let you write an advert either. You can tick some boxes to show the options and do a header, but to actually write an advert you have to plump for the £50 option.

Pistonheads is about £11.99 for a month by comparison.

Didn't realise PH was so cheap may have to use them if I ever sell up. I remember when it used to be free though

I thought it was free for life if you'd signed up as a member before a certain date, but then they seem to be keen to squeeze every penny these days. I just tried to do an ad now and it said no cost, so looks like I'm still okay for at least one more.

Thanks all for the comments. I think i'm going to stick to my original ebay and pistonheads plan and leave autotrader for now. Not being in a rush to sell i can take my time. There are only a handful of private roadsters for sale on autotrader and interesting to here interest is luke warm. My old mk1 Audi TT literally sold within 5 minutes but perhaps the sub £2500 bracket has more interest as less risk i guess.

I seem to have gathered many watchers on ebay, although when i dropped the price a little i actually lost some!

Perhaps not the right time for a roadster or perhaps the private market isnt as fluid as it used to be.

Maybe its a sign for me to apply some man maths and convince myself keeping my Z actually saves me money.