S2000s, any experts?

Ekona

Yeah, I think it really suits the yellow. It had a greddy turbo on too which gave it a nice shove of torque lower down the rev range. There was one with a greddy turbo on auto trader not so long ago although I can't find it anymore.

It looked worse when someone smashed into it at 3am one night whilst parked...

IMG_20150322_114601_zpshp026w88.jpg

I had the quick release clips for my hardtop, literally pull 4 clips and the roof comes off in 30 seconds, I tended to just take my hard top off at the weekend when I would use the car the most as i work 9 till 5 so wouldn't really have roof down at night ( But I did a few times, I'd get some funny looks aswell lol) also just left it off over the summer months... I mean weeks lol, but you are right the Oem one does squeak a bit because of the rubber seals, but there is ways to stop it squeaking, you make the clips tighter so i doesn't move when its in place, it took me about 6 attempt over 3 months to perfect it but got there eventually

I think that looks amazing. They are great cars but as stock they're not really in the same league as a 370z. I've not owned an S2k but I've had a supercharged FN2, an EP3.. not the same engines but similar. They tend to not make their stock 237bhp, handle very well and I think the AP2 setup was revised somewhat to be a bit safer. I would never own a stock one, because the performance is not enough by far. Great for 2ltr of course. However they would make a great platform for a boosted project. Ideally turbo IMO, and subjective or controversial as it may be, I love that kit. It does not look like a car manufactured since 2001. With a minor facelift. Looks great IMO with that kit and some CE28ns. Same kinda reliability as the K20 yet I think it has forged internals so 400-500bhp is probably alright. Even K20s can run 400bhp on stock internals, torque being the limiting factor of course.

I suppose you could get decent power on it with full bolt ons, maybe 260bhp? Wth decent power to weight and a good chassis, some of them rev to 9000rpm they can be fun. But again, for me it would need to be charged. I don't think the interior is so bad either, certainly on par if not maybe a bit better than a 350z? A car which I haven't owned either 😀

Hard top looks better IMO and they are holding their value really well. Although ultimately BHP/tonne its not really much slower than a stock 350, much like the Type Rs with NA K20s they have pathetic low down power, and no real usable torque. So you will have to down shift to extra posrr

If I had not already had a Supercharged type R FN2, a turbo spoon S2k would have really appealed to me, only they're a bit more expensive than the civics, ultimately with 400-500bhp boosted you're looking at supercar killer performance, they're around 200kg lighter than my 370Z, they look like small cars too. No I'm definitely not into stance ! But I love a spoon S2K. Mpg is a fair bit better than our engines and overall they're a cheaper option to run and maintain compared to a 350Z IMO... it's not really fair to compare to the 370Z I feel, as it's a generation behind almost. Also if it's anything like the other K20s, the gear changes are probably flawless. Even my FN2 gear changes were far slicker than my 370. Synchro Rev made up for it though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by nub

Personally I think there are better cars for the money they are at....

Go on, anything in particular? Wanting a 2 seater, convertible, able to take a pounding on track without costing a fortune in expendables, lighter the better, needs a fair bit of oomph.

Well you need a Radical SR3 of course :thumbs:

2 Seater - Ticks that box

convertible - Always - no choice - so ticks that box ;)

able to take a pounding on track - Thats what it lives for, another box ticked

lighter the better - They don't get much lighter Tick

without costing a fortune in expendables - Brakes last well as do tyres due to weight and are cheap if you know where to shop ;) - keep them Ticks coming

needs a fair bit of oomph - You can always add a turbo or get one that actually has a 1500 engine unlike me who was missing a few cc's :wacko: Tick

So almost perfect solution except maybe -

Personally I think there are better cars for the money they are at...... - may be a bit more of an inital outlay but nothings perfect so get shoping for an SR3 :thumbs:

Missed a nice one here

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/58977/radical-sr3-rs-2014

:wave:

• Like 3

I think that looks amazing. They are great cars but as stock they're not really in the same league as a 370z. I've not owned an S2k but I've had a supercharged FN2, an EP3.. not the same engines but similar. They tend to not make their stock 237bhp, handle very well and I think the AP2 setup was revised somewhat to be a bit safer. I would never own a stock one, because the performance is not enough by far. Great for 2ltr of course. However they would make a great platform for a boosted project. Ideally turbo IMO, and subjective or controversial as it may be, I love that kit. It does not look like a car manufactured since 2001. With a minor facelift. Looks great IMO with that kit and some CE28ns. Same kinda reliability as the K20 yet I think it has forged internals so 400-500bhp is probably alright. Even K20s can run 400bhp on stock internals, torque being the limiting factor of course.

I suppose you could get decent power on it with full bolt ons, maybe 260bhp? Wth decent power to weight and a good chassis, some of them rev to 9000rpm they can be fun. But again, for me it would need to be charged. I don't think the interior is so bad either, certainly on par if not maybe a bit better than a 350z? A car which I haven't owned either 😀

Hard top looks better IMO and they are holding their value really well. Although ultimately BHP/tonne its not really much slower than a stock 350, much like the Type Rs with NA K20s they have pathetic low down power, and no real usable torque. So you will have to down shift to extra posrr

If I had not already had a Supercharged type R FN2, a turbo spoon S2k would have really appealed to me, only they're a bit more expensive than the civics, ultimately with 400-500bhp boosted you're looking at supercar killer performance, they're around 200kg lighter than my 370Z, they look like small cars too. No I'm definitely not into stance ! But I love a spoon S2K. Mpg is a fair bit better than our engines and overall they're a cheaper option to run and maintain compared to a 350Z IMO... it's not really fair to compare to the 370Z I feel, as it's a generation behind almost. Also if it's anything like the other K20s, the gear changes are probably flawless. Even my FN2 gear changes were far slicker than my 370. Synchro Rev made up for it though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it's fair to say they're not in the same league, since they are playing totally different sports. One's a muscle car, one's a race car on the road. As a sports car, the 370z cannot compete with an S2000, the S2000 is far lighter, nimbler, quicker in the corners and quicker to change direction. The 370 has almost twice the engine size (but nowhere NEAR twice the power), and is far less agile, even witht he S2k having the compromise of being a cabrio (stiffening and roof motors added a lot of weight, if you can dispense at least with the motors, you can save another 80kg in roof mech parts. This is the main reason to permanently fit a hard top, which does improve the look of the car compared to soft top up, but not with the top down.

The AP2 revisions were made for 1 reason only, the Americans. They were crashing them left and right, so Honda added traction control, and of course they were selling poorly because the Americans had no idea how to drive a high revving 4 banger and everyone thought it had no power, hence torque increase and redline decrease. Thank GOD the European models did not undergo this bastardisation.

Coilovers, MPSS and a supercharger and you have a real weapon.

Comparing an S2000 to a civic is equally inappropriate. One was purpose built by Honda to show off what race car technology they could put on the road for reasonable money, the other is a granny's shopping trolley with a quick engine (and I say that as a proud ex-EP3 owner, it's got nothing on the S2k. Absolutely nothing). Neither the engines, nor handling characteristics are remotely similar or comparable, despite having similar internals.

Yes, it is controversial to turbo an S2000, most would say you retain the car's character with a supercharger, if you really must go FI. You can get 300 at the crank NA from an F20C, but it ain't cheap AT ALL. 350whp supercharged cars are notoriously difficult to drive, a friend of mine had one. Fun, but omg scary.

I also forgot to mention in my original post Dan, the brakes need a major upgrade before the power, they're pretty rubbish, classic Honda weakness.

I refuse to buy from anyone who can't spell axle. :lol:

I would imagine a straight cut 'box might get a bit tiring too. Nah, it's a nice idea and I appreciate the effort, but realistically it needs to be a 'proper' car for touring purposes. Something like that is an excellent 5th car though, maybe in the future.

Looks like you got a fair bit of advice already but il add in my 2cents since I had one for just over 5 years.

First tip, check the boot for moisture. The s2000's are notorious for letting in rain water from the rear light seals. If the carpet in the boot feels wet there will be a big ass puddle underneath the carpet.

2nd, check all door seals, also notorious for letting in water during heavy rain, mine did it just from the passenger side window, not a lot but still annoyed the crap outta me.

3rd, engine noise, these cars run pretty quiet when everything is running smooth, but if you get a rattle noise it may be from leaking oil. I was given a 1600 estimate from Honda telling me this that and the other needed changed wen all I had was a very hard to find oil leak that kept making the engine rattle. Fixed and and she ran smoother than b4.

Hope that helps some anyway.

Why not get back into a Vx220, but 2.2 na this time, ticks all the boxes and will ultimately be quicker round a track than anything mentioned above :)

Already been looking ;) Biggest con for me is lack of aircon and the absolutely rubbish heater. You're right though, if I'm looking at Elises I should consider these more seriously.