Chasing Interest

ATTAK Z

There is a lot to do in London but I genuinely think people living there just havent experienced life outside of london enough. Plenty of friends living/lived there, some love it others loved it but the sheer cost of living meant it took the enjoyment out of it longer term.

Each the their own.

But it's shite.

Lol.

• Like 1

There is a lot to do in London but I genuinely think people living there just havent experienced life outside of london enough. Plenty of friends living/lived there, some love it others loved it but the sheer cost of living meant it took the enjoyment out of it longer term.

Each the their own.

But it's shite.

Lol.

Ha! Well I have lived in 5 counties, 4 different countries, across 2 continents - I think many people in the UK haven't experienced life properly either - the UK is shite also lol

Whilst I agree that people living in London, including myself, can get wrapped up in the 'London bubble' I also genuinely believe it's, on balance, the greatest city in the world.

Many people who have never lived there seem to have an unfounded, visceral hatred of the place but unless you live there you really don't know what it's about. It's not for everyone but to write it off as a 'bad' place is just ignorant.

What's the best way to invest around 30k down south if I already have a mortgage and don't want to use it to pay off the interest etc. Would love to buy to let a 1 bedroom flat or something but being that I've already got a mortgage, on paper it's unaffordable so I might give the money to my bro to do the same. Any other ideas what to do with 30k? How much would one need to begin low end property development? I.e like on homes under the hammer. I could raise more deposit but selling the Z is not an option of course and I'll buy mods each year ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whilst I agree that people living in London, including myself, can get wrapped up in the 'London bubble' I also genuinely believe it's, on balance, the greatest city in the world.

Many people who have never lived there seem to have an unfounded, visceral hatred of the place but unless you live there you really don't know what it's about. It's not for everyone but to write it off as a 'bad' place is just ignorant.

Big cities just aren't for everyone. I grew up in one of the biggest cities in Asia, lived in London for a bit as a kid with my parents, can honestly say I cannot think of a worse place to live (any big city not just London). Expensive, crowded, polluted, smelling some strangers breath on a packed tube at rush hour,I just dont get why my parents love it so much, we haven't been down to London now for over a year and cannot think of a single reason to go there apart for Heathrow airport :).

We are actually now finding Leicester too crowded and moving out to the end of a village. Now with a baby girl to look after for the same price as a 2bed+box room end terrace in Enfield we can get a 6bed house with a 1/2 acre landscaped garden. So instead of been trapped in doors we are going to build her an adventure play ground for her to run around in.

We will take our kid to London for the museums and history, with the village train station on the East Midlands main line its only 70 minutes into St Pancras, and same out. So day trips there will mean we can still access the cultural bits without having to live there.

Edited by gangzoom

What's the best way to invest around 30k down south if I already have a mortgage and don't want to use it to pay off the interest etc. Would love to buy to let a 1 bedroom flat or something but being that I've already got a mortgage, on paper it's unaffordable so I might give the money to my bro to do the same. Any other ideas what to do with 30k? How much would one need to begin low end property development? I.e like on homes under the hammer. I could raise more deposit but selling the Z is not an option of course and I'll buy mods each year ;)

Your need way more than 30k for a flat in London. 30k might not even cover the additional stamp duty rate let alone the deposit for a mortgage.

Pay your own mortgage off, or else save up a larger sum (much larger).

The South / London is pretty much the same as the North, just more expensive. Name one good thing you have that we don't.

As most have said, it suits some people and not others. Contrary to what people that have never lived in London, I commute in, takes 15-20 mins, I always get a seat to and from work, its stress free and no problem at all. It gives me access to potentially hundreds if not thousands of job opportunities in my area of expertise, just something I would struggle to get anywhere else. There is no denying it though that there is more choice and more on offer, simple numbers dictate that. But hey some people like the life of driving to work and living in less built up areas.

Anyway, £30k will not get very much I am afraid. One option could be to buy maybe a garage or something and rent it out? Parking is at a premium and could be an easy way to earn a steady income? Some garages down the road from me rent out at £200 a month.Just a thought.

0v3myie.png

Money gets wasted? A population with 5m and 98% of the oil & gas in the North Sea.

If you believe the rubbish that Scotland is a financial drain on the rest of the UK, why did the UK media lie, cheat and scheme so hard to get a no vote 2 years ago?

If we were such a burden we'd have been cut adrift a long time ago.

Scottish_eez_zpsxf5y2fuc.png

FYI. Scotland's EEZ i.e where most of the UK's oil and gas for the next 30 years is coming from.

Edited by -G-

The difference these days is that you need at least a 25% deposit and tax is now paid on income rather than profit. A small increase in interest rate along with a drop in value could leave you losing money with no way out.

Im looking into short term rentals atm as the returns are much better if they are occupied (and Cambridge is boomtown atm) but Im leaning towards putting it into a car instead as there is less risk and significantly more enjoyment :)

Yeah its all about location for buy to lets. Guy at work is focus`ing on Cambridge and close to it. From the figures he`s shown me he does seem to be doing very well. But when I last looked into it, unless you have a lot of money sitting in the bank doing nothing, the rent would just not cover the cost of a mortgage in Cambridge. For example, the street behind where I work, 4 bed terraced houses with no front garden, a small back garden you couldnt swing a cat in, and on street parking only, get snapped up within hours for £600 grand. Last time I looked the same sort of place rents out for £1200 a month for the whole house. Bare in mind all the tax you have to pay on the additional income, plus expenditure for any maintenance it doesnt seem viable to me. You can get more if you convert the dining & living rooms into additional bedrooms then turn it into a house of multiple occupation and rent each room out separately, but then a host of other things come into play like council regulations and being liable for all the utilities etc...

My missus rents out her old flat in Coventry and has done for the last 7 years. I do her tax return each year. After she has paid tax on the income, paid the letting agent & paid for any repairs she makes precisely zero out of it. She bought it in 2007 at the peak property price and I think only now its gone back up in value to roughly what she paid for it. She needs to renew the leasehold on it which will cost a fortune (the owner of the land the flat is on can basically charge you whatever they want to extend it and is entitled to a share of any profits if it increases the value of the flat), and then if she was to sell the flat, she`d have to pay tax on any "profits". So if she sold it now she`d have made absolutely jack for a 7 year investment. Shes hoping that when she retires it will be worth more, or she will have paid the mortgage off and so any rental income will be "free".

So why hasn't Sturgeon published the figures on oil revenue that she promised back in June of 2015 then? ;)

My point is that Scotland more than pays its way in the UK.

If you're trolling for a debate on the pros and cons of Scottish Independence and what constitutes "Oil Revenues" start another topic on the matter.

Anyway, £30k will not get very much I am afraid. One option could be to buy maybe a garage or something and rent it out? Parking is at a premium and could be an easy way to earn a steady income? Some garages down the road from me rent out at £200 a month.Just a thought.

If you really want to risk it buy £10K worth of shares in your favourite stock market gamble.

Tesla shares back in 2013 was $30, now over $200, that's a 600% return in 3 years driven mainly by launch of the Model 3 back in 2013/14. They got some big targets coming up this year, mainly release of the Model 3 with around 500K of preorders. If they can hit their target and get production cars into customer hands by the end of 2017 I reckon your double your money again or maybe even more but it they don't the share price will crash.

If you want big gains and have the balls play the game go for it with your favourite up and coming tech company, I'm far too chicken to play I wouldn't bet a $1 either way.

VW are currently trading at 140 compared to a high of 250 just before the emissions saga, with Trump about to dismantle the EPA you would think they could make a decent comeback, but at the same time Trump is pretty keen to support 'US' car manufactures so all European car brands could be in for a hard time over the next few years in the US market....

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

nub said

What do you know about property development ? Do you have skills you could use doing some work yourself ? Do you have friends that have skills that you could use ?

There's a bit more to it than buying a property and giving it a lick of paint ...

Edited by ATTAK Z
  • Like 1

nub said

What do you know about property development ? Do you have skills you could use doing some work yourself ? Do you have friends that have skills that you could use ?

There's a bit more to it than buying a property and giving it a lick of paint ...

Also I have seen many close friends and family members fallout over loans of much less value than 30k. I'd be very wary about loaning your brother 30k to invest in a property without water tight contracts and agreements in place.

I also know of a lady who with her and her husband along with a couple who they were best friends with bought a property to redevelop 50/50 all was well and good until it came to the graft and the other couple seriously let them down so they did most of the manual labour to try and recoup their investment while the other couple sat back did very little and profited out of it.

The South / London is pretty much the same as the North, just more expensive. Name one good thing you have that we don't.

Decent weather

Lots of jobs

Fewer Brexit voters

Accents you can actually understand

Coats

Newsreaders

Easy access to Europe

Airports

Proper kebabs

Rugby Union

Racetracks

You lads do tend to make a better cup of tea though :lol:

• Like 1

Decent weather

Lots of jobs

Fewer Brexit voters

Accents you can actually understand

Coats

Newsreaders

Easy access to Europe

Airports

Proper kebabs

Rugby Union

Racetracks

You lads do tend to make a better cup of tea though :lol: