Goodnight Princess

neo

:(

2016, the year that keeps on taking.

Seems that way, we also lost Richard Adams (Watership Down) and Liz Smith (Royle Family) in the last 48 hours. In the last week we also lost Mirus Yifter ("Yifter The Shifter") the double Olympic champion 5k and 10k from 1980, and Piers Sellers (British Astronaut)

Talking about Richard Adams, I remember my Ex Wife reading Watership Down. She said I should read it so I asked what it was a about, its a story about Rabbits she replied. Being an Science Fiction fan I laughed but a few months later picked it up out of curiosity and it turned out to be the best book I've ever read, must have read it 10 times at least :) and it was the first book I bought for my kindle!

Pete

Its funny (in a sort of way and not meant to be offensive) that I really wasn't that concerned when Parfitt passed on, I never really was into Status Quo and it was slightly before my time so couldnt feel what many seemed to but but this is a real kick in the stomach. I grew up with Star Wars and could recite every word from all three movies when I was a young nipper, even the beeps the droids made. Gutted about this but feared it in a way, anyone that doesn't breathe for 10 minutes is always going to be in trouble, gutted.

Whilst it's sad surely I can't be the only one thinking that there deaths ( george micheal aswell) are more than likely directly attributed to the drug and drink problems they've suffered all there lives .

They should be used as good examples to the youth of today as to what drugs do to you rather than bigged up just because they've appeared in some films or made music.

If your honest with yourselves that's exactly what you would say if it was the tramp down the road so why should they be any different.

Of course it's been a bad year but I have a theory. The number of celebrities has rocketed over the last few years, at one time say 1940's/50's to be a celebrity you had to be an actor or a crooner but that all changed in the 60's when dozens if not hundreds of pop groups were formed and they all had 4 or 5 members. These people, like Lemmy, Bowie, Parfitt and other less well known stars like Paul Kantner (Jefferson Starship) were well, ahem getting on a bit. In what people call the golden age of Hollywood there were in reality very few really big stars, these days there are hundreds of them. TV also played a big part promoting news readers, presenters, even weathermen to superstar status. More recently, TV "talent" shows and stuff like Big Brother have seen another boost in celebrity numbers. Sportsmen too are now hero worshiped....so more celebrities equals more people passing away sadly.

I once had the pleasure of having a long chat with a former Liverpool player who was in the same old peoples home as my mum. His name was Ray Lambert and he played for Liverpool in the 40's and 50's. He told me that to get to training from Flint he had to bike it to Shotton and then get the train to Liverpool and he was able to live a normal life. Times since then have changed and it looks to me like the country now has a celebrity obsession.

I must admit though that I gasped an OMG this morning when I checked out the news on The BBC, I can just about remember Debbie Reynolds when she was at her peak. How devastating for her family and friends.

Pete