What TV?

Commander

My TV is pretty long in the tooth now (12 years old!) and I fancy an upgrade.

I've been looking at the Samsung UE49KS7000 (49" 4K) for about £800 which seems to get good reviews in terms of picture quality and has plenty of interfaces for HDMI, USB, etc... Looks pretty too.

Is there anything better out there for similar / less money?

49" is the upper size limit; 42" minimum.

I like the Sony ones but it was so expensive that I got a 50" LG 4K instead. It's a year old now and not had any issues. The picture is awesome but some of the smart features aren't the best. You should be able to get a good one we'll under your £800 budget.

I have three Samsung's, one 5 series, one older 6 series and last years 9 series UHD/HDR, and until earlier this year i wouldn't hesitate to recommend Samsung, however after my first problem with the first of my UHD models i went through four different sets due to problems/failures, and although my current set is very good and is OK i strongly doubt i will replace it with another when the time comes, and don't get me started on their customer service.

Samsung. This is a BBC HD image on mine:

20161127_201830_zpsqfqwtk5n.jpg

I'd recommend upping the budget a bit and getting an HDR capable panel (not all UHD TVs are HDR capable).

I've been mostly underwhelmed by the difference between UHD and HD, but if you see a UHD HDR picture in action (HDR Blu Ray players are starting to become available now and some streaming services are starting to offer programmes in HDR) the quality is stunning.

Edited by sipar69

I took delivery of the Samsung UE55KS7000 on Saturday ordered from Currys, had problems all weekend trying to set it up. TV just wouldn't recognise that the one connect box was connected, the screen displayed a 'Check the one connect box is connected' message and the TV menu was unresponsive using either of the two remotes that came with it. All I could do was turn the TV on or off with the remotes and wasn't able to access any settings. Many tries of unplugging and reconnecting everything, pairing the smart remote but still wouldn't work. Managed to get it to finally work last night (not sure how) but Sky, Amazon Prime and Xbox one all worked fine and picture looked great, even did a system update. Was looking forward to playing about with the screen settings this morning, turned TV on and again same 'Check the one connect box is connected' message, no input sources recognised and unresponsive menu.

Phoned the currys know-how number which just tells you to phone Samsung support direct and they were no help either. Basically had enough so I've boxed it back up and will be taking it back to currys tomorrow for full refund. Nice looking TV though and great picture from what I saw, looks like I'm just unlucky to get a faulty one.

What's a 'one connect box'?

It's a box that Samsung TV's have. All of the connections and processor etc. are contained within it... the theory being that you can upgrade the box if new features become available which the panel can support but would otherwise not be possible to upgrade if contained within the TV. It remains to be seen if this actually proves to be useful or just a gimmick. I'd suggest the latter.

connect-mini.jpg

Also, don't do what I did and plaster the Samsung cable into the wall without some HDMI's too... as I'll have to dig the cable out and add new connections if I ever get another brand of TV and/or Samsung change the connection cable...

Edited by Paddy78
  • Like 1

What's a 'one connect box'?

It's a remote box with four HDMI ports, satellite & aerial input and optical input. You connect your devices to this and this then connects to your TV via one cable. On back of the TV itself (on the model I had anyway) it only has usb, common interface slot, ethernet port and connection for the one box cable.

More can be read here under connections and control

https://www.avforums...tv-review.12659

Paddy beat me to it :)

Edited by And350zy