350z weekend car?

ashyk36

Hi all, used to own a 350z until 2013 and I'm sort of thinking about maybe getting another sometime soon in the future. Problem is it cannot be my main car as it is not practical enough.

How many members have a 350z as a 'weekend'car and would you recommend doing it? Aside from the initial cost of buying the car, how much extra would the car cost me to keep the car per year?

I bought my current car is250 thinking of a compromise I.e. rear wheel/v6 engine. I really do like the car but it is too refined. I missing the 350z loudness (Berk HFCs) and torque...

It would be good to hear from you

Thanks

my 350 started off as my main car but have since bought the gf a car and got her driving (provisional atm) .

best thing iv ever done tbh ....im now keeping the milage down on the 350 and only take it out in good weather so less cleaning (damn white rotas lol).

plus been in a 1.2 corsa most of the week means getting in the zed feels like a super car now haha

Mine is a weekend car, but I always find a way of driving it in the evening and at weekends. Any excuse really, I couldn't use it as a daily though I cover too many miles. The costs of it are not too bad, it just depends on how much you use it. If you buy a pre 06 the tax is much cheaper so saving money there 😉 I also have a multi-car policy for insurance and it's not too bad. As for fuel again it depends on how much you drive it and how you drive it 😠hope this helps.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think theres more exciting prospects for a weekend car TBF, some that would be cheaper to run too :)

yea i always wanted a supercharged DC5 for a weekend toy but they are silly money even in standard form for their year so went for the zed

Mines a fair weather/weekend car as i had my j reg Sunny (classic car insurance) anyways and it make zero sense in selling that for what it costs to keep on the road. Plus the 350z is no good, when on the rare occasion when i drop the kids to nursery, dance or do the food shop.

Not overly interested in keeping the 350z mileage down, but spreading the costs of tyres, brakes, suspension and clutch over a longer period due to the reduced annual mileage is win.

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1

I used my zed as my daily and do the same with my 997 now. I found the zed to be plenty practical, just not enough seats. I looked into running it just as a weekend car. But when you weigh up the savings in petrol from only running the car on a Sunday, compared to the extra cost of buying a 2nd car, its depreciation, tyres, servicing, mot, tax and insurance, it just wasnt worth it. The insurance was one of the biggest pain points. As I was using my 20 years NCB on the zed, I had zero to apply to a 2nd car. So even a £200 shed was going to cost me more then the zed to insure. I tried multicar insurance quotes and various companies and they all quoted the same.

I used my zed as my daily and do the same with my 997 now. I found the zed to be plenty practical, just not enough seats. I looked into running it just as a weekend car. But when you weigh up the savings in petrol from only running the car on a Sunday, compared to the extra cost of buying a 2nd car, its depreciation, tyres, servicing, mot, tax and insurance, it just wasnt worth it. The insurance was one of the biggest pain points. As I was using my 20 years NCB on the zed, I had zero to apply to a 2nd car. So even a £200 shed was going to cost me more then the zed to insure. I tried multicar insurance quotes and various companies and they all quoted the same.

Same for me, I tried the second car route and it ended up being a huge pain in the backside.

I also second what docwra said, better cars out there for weekend toys for sure.

I have my 350z and my civic for weekend cars and I bought a £150 xsara hdi for getting to work in and picking up oily car parts in etc. Ha! Over the winter both cars come off the road completely and get stored!

It's so much better and cheaper having a cheap daily to run around in and not care about were to park it etc! Plus my insurance is cheaper because i put down less miles and use the pleasure only.

I treated myself to a 350z as a 2nd car. My other work car is a Volvo estate. Even now I take my 350 out for late night drives and use it way more than I imagined. My volvo is now only really used for long trips and when I need the boot. The 350 is very expensive to fuel. More than maybe I thought it would be (I'm used to a diesel volvo) but I'm still in the mindset that it's worth every penny I put in it. I still get a thrill when I see it parked up outside my house.