Low oil pressure after drifting

Nate

My personal opinion is that a larger oil cooler wouldn't make a great deal of difference for the cost/fitting as it works on the principle that cold air is forced through it as you are driving forwards when drifting yes you are still getting "air ram effect" but not as much as you would be as going in a straight line.As stated above the hotter the oil gets the thinner it will become.Maybe using a thicker oil would be the way to go but I don't know wether it would be advisable to leave it in for normal/road use.

My personal opinion is that a larger oil cooler wouldn't make a great deal of difference for the cost/fitting as it works on the principle that cold air is forced through it as you are driving forwards when drifting yes you are still getting "air ram effect" but not as much as you would be as going in a straight line.As stated above the hotter the oil gets the thinner it will become.Maybe using a thicker oil would be the way to go but I don't know wether it would be advisable to leave it in for normal/road use.

that is like saying dont get a better radiator or a intercooler if boosted when drifting because the air dosnt cool it? If its your only hope to cool the oil down to save the engine from damage its worth every penny,

Also drifting sucks :p

• Like 1

Again, larger sump, not going to solve the issue is it, baffled or not.

edit: I'll give you more details, seen as no one really has got the picture here, I could sit static, limiter bashing, burnout or whatever and the issue would arise anyway due to the temperature, nothing to do with drifting forces so please stop mentioning baffled sumps... :headhurt:

Ignore the condescending answers and the ones that dont make sense, not the first time on here.

Im not aware of any pressure problems in the 350's used by the driftschools, and Ive not ever had any problems running a standard sump on trackdays or the occasional drift session either. I dont know anyone running a baffled sump on a VQ either.

First thing Id do is get a decent read on what the oil temps and pressures are, get a bluetooth OBD device and use your phone to monitor. I dont think the oil getting hot/thin would cause that much of a pressure drop, I think your oil pump might have some issues but you wont see it until you get decent measurements.

Either way, I think the issue is specific to your car and not a 350Z "thing" :)

• Like 1

Mate, look at it from his point of view - hes come on to ask a genuine Q and has been told to buy a baffled sump (which he correctly states wont affect anything if the car is stationary), hes then had someone offer to "butt out" after hes described the problem in more detail, to ask on the Jag forum and then youve weighed in with the attitude comment and Ekona has backed it up with a dig too.

The first post makes it clear that the issue is happening after drifting has stopped (difficult to "cool down" while still smashing off the limiter ;)) and the best advice anyone can give is "baffled sump" and then start popping at the dude.

To be fair, whilst I agree with you from a technical standpoint, there are ways and means of phrasing yourself when you don't think that people are on the right track, and the OP did come across as very dismissive. He may well be right, but being polite rather than confrontational is a better way to get people to help you. I'd have probably replied with something like "Hmmm, not sure that's the issue because X, Y and Z, how did you come to the conclusion that was the problem? What have I missed?", or something along those lines.

You can always call them a **** after you log off and have got the info you need :lol:

• Like 2

To be fair, whilst I agree with you from a technical standpoint, there are ways and means of phrasing yourself when you don't think that people are on the right track, and the OP did come across as very dismissive. He may well be right, but being polite rather than confrontational is a better way to get people to help you. I'd have probably replied with something like "Hmmm, not sure that's the issue because X, Y and Z, how did you come to the conclusion that was the problem? What have I missed?", or something along those lines.

You can always call them a **** after you log off and have got the info you need :lol:

Exactly! the OP did say and i quote "any response appreciated." and then asks "I clearly don't know all the answer else I wouldn't be on here trying to get some support would I? Appreciate some good responses to help me diagnose a problem. Thanks..."

And despite several people making educated very valid responses, including myself, he virtually dismisses the,.

well to me some of his responses are way less than appreciative,

• Like 1

Right, end of please guys. Sounds like a serious issue with the car so lets focus on resolving that please and helping the OP.

Posted my comment while you where posting, however there are ways to ask questions on a forum, and some of his responses put peoples backs up simple, so some of us who actually care how people behave on this forum had a comment to make.

Again, larger sump, not going to solve the issue is it, baffled or not.

edit: I'll give you more details, seen as no one really has got the picture here, I could sit static, limiter bashing, burnout or whatever and the issue would arise anyway due to the temperature, nothing to do with drifting forces so please stop mentioning baffled sumps... :headhurt:

Ignore the condescending answers and the ones that dont make sense, not the first time on here.

Im not aware of any pressure problems in the 350's used by the driftschools, and Ive not ever had any problems running a standard sump on trackdays or the occasional drift session either. I dont know anyone running a baffled sump on a VQ either.

First thing Id do is get a decent read on what the oil temps and pressures are, get a bluetooth OBD device and use your phone to monitor. I dont think the oil getting hot/thin would cause that much of a pressure drop, I think your oil pump might have some issues but you wont see it until you get decent measurements.

Either way, I think the issue is specific to your car and not a 350Z "thing" :)

Thanks, I'll try the OBD device first to get an idea of my temps & pressures, I take it oil pump issues aren't common on a 350Z then?

I apologise for anyone not 'impressed' by my attitude, however I was just not convinced by the constant baffled sump comments when I was reasonably sure that wasn't going to fix the issue. No hard feeling please, I'd rather not be hated on here! :)

Edited by Nate

I'm surprised you haven't had a straight to the point answer yet. The standard pressure gauge is inaccurate as hell. When on the track I always got really low pressure when hot and idling with the standard gauge. 5/40 isn't too bad but still pretty thin. I run 10/60 so that it's still doing its job when mega hot and limiter bashing. Wouldn't recommend it on a daily driven NA car tho. Get yourself a proper oil pressure gauge to see what it's doing and your mind will be at ease.

Just for the record I've been drifting mine with just under 500hp for 2 years and never had a baffled sump yet with no issues (touches big piece of wood) so i wouldn't say it was essential.

Also try not to come across as a bit of a dick on here when people are trying to help you

• Like 1

With out reading all the responses I would say your better off using an oil cooler with an electric fan (Ie. drifting has crap air flow) and thicker oil weight Ie. 10w-40 or so to help with pressure drop. Baffled sump is need for issues with oil slosh if you have drops in oil pressure when driving.

I'm surprised you haven't had a straight to the point answer yet. The standard pressure gauge is inaccurate as hell. When on the track I always got really low pressure when hot and idling with the standard gauge. 5/40 isn't too bad but still pretty thin. I run 10/60 so that it's still doing its job when mega hot and limiter bashing. Wouldn't recommend it on a daily driven NA car tho. Get yourself a proper oil pressure gauge to see what it's doing and your mind will be at ease.

Just for the record I've been drifting mine with just under 500hp for 2 years and never had a baffled sump yet with no issues (touches big piece of wood) so i wouldn't say it was essential.

Also try not to come across as a bit of a dick on here when people are trying to help you

He has! he just chose to ignore them.

• Like 1

I'll only ignore something if I feel its not relevant, like most of your posts in this thread. Please just leave it out....

okay sorry to butt in but im very interested in this aftermarket oil pressure device thats more reliable than the standard one .

i too think my oil pressure gauge is temperamental and would like one fitted .

any ideas on brand and best place to buy please

Personally I like the Stack analogue dials, but the new SPA dual LED ones are beautiful to look at (if a little harder to read when on the go!). I've always said that analogue is the way to go with gauges, but each to their own. Can't go wrong with either of those brands, really.

• Like 2

Personally I like the Stack analogue dials, but the new SPA dual LED ones are beautiful to look at (if a little harder to read when on the go!). I've always said that analogue is the way to go with gauges, but each to their own. Can't go wrong with either of those brands, really.

cheers Ekona ill look into them ...and yea im a sucker for LED but would rather have precision over looks when its something as important as engine parameters :)

just checked them out and really like the SPA duel oil pressure/fuel pressure gauge.

they also seem very accurate for a LED type gauge .

from the looks of the kit i assume i would have to purchase adapter plates specific to the 350z for the sensors to screw into yes?

I'll only ignore something if I feel its not relevant, like most of your posts in this thread. Please just leave it out....

I made a perfectly valid and correct suggestion to you problem that you asked for help with , along with others, yet you just chose to ignore them and latch onto the first persons suggestion that dint ask you to be a little more polite in you response.

I rest my case! there is just no helping some people, however i hope you get a solution to you problem that you like, and don't worry i wont be bothering to help in future.

just checked them out and really like the SPA duel oil pressure/fuel pressure gauge.

they also seem very accurate for a LED type gauge .

from the looks of the kit i assume i would have to purchase adapter plates specific to the 350z for the sensors to screw into yes?

Fuel pressure isn't worth knowing, but oil temp is: If you're going dual, then the oil pressure/temp is the one to get.

I've not looked at those kits you mention, but really all you should need is just to tap in to the system at the relevant points using the basics and then wire the kit to the sensor. I wouldn't have thought you need 350-specific hardware.

If you are using it for drifting you wont really be able to look at the pressure gauge and or temp guage , why not just fit a large red light and/or buzzer that triggers at 1 bar , that way as soon as the pressure drops you can get off it , same for oil temp really , one at say 150 degrees

• Like 2