Low oil pressure after drifting

Nate

Went drifting yesterday. After a hard few laps my pressure drops to 5/10psi according to the guage. Leave it to cool for 10 mins and it returns to normal. Car drives fine (drove it to work and back today and its all fine with normal driving/occasional foot down moment) and oil level is where it should be. How accurate is the gauge? Could it be the wiring/gauge getting hot and misreading? Worth looking into an oil cooler? Searched google and not found anything similar to this. any response appreciated.

I'm with BM on this one as oil pressure will be effected when drifting without a larger baffled sump.

Again, larger sump, not going to solve the issue is it, baffled or not.

edit: I'll give you more details, seen as no one really has got the picture here, I could sit static, limiter bashing, burnout or whatever and the issue would arise anyway due to the temperature, nothing to do with drifting forces so please stop mentioning baffled sumps... :headhurt:

Edited by Nate

I'm with BM on this one as oil pressure will be effected when drifting without a larger baffled sump.

Again, larger sump, not going to solve the issue is it, baffled or not.

We are only trying to help, however if you think that you know all the answers then I will just butt out. :)

DE. Large loads on the engine. Car gets hot. Oil pressure drops.

I clearly don't know all the answer else I wouldn't be on here trying to get some support would I? Appreciate some good responses to help me diagnose a problem. Thanks...

Edited by Nate

I wouldn't be so quick to discredit veteran posters such as the guys above. They've spent years on here, and have seen it all.

The baffled/larger sump logically makes sense.

Would explain the low reading if its all sloshed to the one side, surely? ( not literally, just speaking hypothetically )

What oil are you running?

Do you have an oil cooler fitted ?

Few hard laps? What is that guessing this is pod as its Wednesday edc track in 3rd gear or kidney play pens on the limiter in 1-2nd gear?

Assume you checked oil level before drifting?

Oil filter been replaced recently?

If no how old is it/ if yes what brand?

Any footage of your driving to get an idea what the car was going through?

Edited by StevoD

What oil are you running?

Do you have an oil cooler fitted ?

Few hard laps? What is that guessing this is pod as its Wednesday edc track in 3rd gear or kidney play pens on the limiter in 1-2nd gear?

Assume you checked oil level before drifting?

Oil filter been replaced recently?

If no how old is it/ if yes what brand?

Any footage of your driving to get an idea what the car was going through?

Fuchs 5/40

No, looking into them now, reckon I will pick one up

yeah EDC track, some 3rd, mostly top of 2nd

yeah oil was full, checked it once the car cooled over lunch and was still full

yeah new oil (K&N) filter & oil like 1.5k miles ago

Edited by Nate

Car gets hot, oil gets hot, oil gets thinner, pressure goes down.

That's pretty simple. It's a possible sign of your oil pump being on the way out, as it can't pump enough to keep the optimum pressure when the oil gets that hot, or it could be that your oil is too thin for the application. Using a 5w40 should be fine though, so I'd discount the latter.

Also likely a fair amount of oil could be stuck at the top end of the motor and not draining down fast enough

Personally If I was drifting anything (Not that I ever would because its lame as) I would fit a greddy style oil pan

https://www.z1motorsports.com/engine-parts/greddy/greddy-cast-aluminum-oil-pan-vq35de-p-9097.html

I know 2 or 3 DE who have destroyed engine here in Croatia on racetrack Grobnik due to funny small amount of oil which is originally going to DE. If DE is used for anything more than normal driving or cruising larger oil pan is MUST

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Edited by Snjur

DE. Large loads on the engine. Car gets hot. Oil pressure drops.

I clearly don't know all the answer else I wouldn't be on here trying to get some support would I? Appreciate some good responses to help me diagnose a problem. Thanks...

You seem to have answered your own question, i would be monitoring oil temps, as it seems with the high loads created by drifting, along with perhaps less general cooling due to angles/speeds etc are pushing the oil temps beyond the oil tolerances.

Of course you std pressure gauge could be playing up...its a common problem.

Oh and nice attitude by the way. :thumbdown:

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

Out of curiosity, how much extra oil do the larger/baffled sumps require? Would it tell us on the packaging?

You can find on Google depending which one you are after. I know originally I was pouring in DE around 4.5 liters of oil. Later on I fit spacer for oil pan which increased capacity do 6 liters and on the end I fitted Greddy pan plus larger oil filter and oil cooler so I'm now around 7.5 liter of oil

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Edited by Snjur
  • Like 2

Am going to leave this open for now, as Dan mentioned it would be good to see what the solution is and reading through the initial comments from the likes of Alex are points made which are meant to help. So lets keep it civil guys I think it will be good for anyone thinking of doing something similar to see what the solution is.