Alfa Romeo 4C: Future Purchase/Your Thoughts...

hmale4yu

Interesting feedback. Ive considered Lotus but since they are pretty much all manual this rules them out for me

If one views the 4C as a cut price supercar for weekend use only it seems like a good buy; head turning looks, rare, will age well stylistically compared to German cars similar priced

If there happens to be a fully loaded Boxter with the right miles and exotic colour (Olympia Blue) then I may go for that. But then again I still think that the only Porsches that look special in years to come are the 911 Turbos, GT cars

As a leftfield option I was toying with a yank motor Corvette Z06 or even the new Covette Stingray which will have plummeted in price by then . I also like the previous generation end of life cycle facelifted Mustang (2014) . These would obviously have far higher running and maintenance costs but the feel good factor would be on a similar level to the 4C

For me a car is:

50% how it makes you feel (image, sound, looks etc)

25% how well it drives

15% maintenance costs

10% practicality

For me the Alfa ticks these boxes well.

Having caned the arse off a 981 Cayman Id wager that it ticks all of the above the boxes a whole lot better. Beautifully designed, beautifully made, oozes quality and class and the drive is exceptional.

Corvette is a good alternative though :thumbs:

For me a car is:

50% how it makes you feel (image, sound, looks etc)

25% how well it drives

15% maintenance costs

10% practicality

For me the Alfa ticks these boxes well.

Having caned the arse off a 981 Cayman Id wager that it ticks all of the above the boxes a whole lot better. Beautifully designed, beautifully made, oozes quality and class and the drive is exceptional.

Corvette is a good alternative though :thumbs:

I am sure it would, from what I have read the 981 Cayman would hand out a good spanking to most cars.

But they are German cars, and just do not have quite the emotional connection as the Italians can muster (and even the brits). I would choose not to buy German, with a couple of exceptions (997.2 GT3 & Carrera GT) ;)

Gorgeous . . .. .

aWfBlZa.jpg

EoGQ9A3.jpg

jzO0C3Z.jpg

3dX6F7R.jpg

Edited by monkeybrain1234
  • Like 1

Seems like I may be one of few who would agree the 4c would look great on the conquered list. Like most have suggested the Boxster may be the better car in all aspects of performance but purely for the rarity and the cf single mould construction for me this is a mini dream car to have (until you crash it).

Plus if there's any modern Alfa to hold its value this must be one and this could justify the maintenance costs? There'll definitely be a new boxster, probably a new lotus before there'll be a 4c replacement so it won't become dated as soon.

You'd have more Kudos than owning either of the other cars in my personal opinion, go for it!

I couldn't lust over any car with 1.7L turbo 4 pot. Drop the V6 into it and yes, it would be far more appealing, but with that crappy little fartcan powering it... Supercar it definitely ain't!

Message received and understood at first time of asking. I'm continuing to form the impression you don't like it :lol:

I guess its what you really want at the end of the day. I have said in the past I actually love cars that are exclusive/rare and would rate that over reliability for instance, the trade off works in that favour.

Again having never been in a 4C but having a bit of a love affair of lightweight cars after my VX220 experience, I did a fair bit of reading up on the 4C and it didn't make for good reading. Poor on road performance in terms of handling and feedback, lots of tramlining, droney exhaust when sat inside, poor interior.

I guess the Evo review sums it up it seems:

+ Incredible looks and exotic chassis

- Engine, steering, cabin quality

It looks nice, not many around, but maybe the reason for not many being around is that they simply arent as good as the alternatives?

Only way to know for sure is test drive a few different cars and see what grabs your attention!

The more I look at the Boxter in the flesh the less it looks special tbh esp esp in London where I am. The GT4 and Spyder are out of budget

Any news on the next gen Z car? End of 2017 maybe? Been trawling the net for info on this. Has this been put on the backburner by Nissan do you reckon

Trouble with 987 Spyder or R is trying to find one in the right spec, as a lot of people are holding onto them now. You'd want a Spyder with manual 'box, no AC, no stereo, pure as anything. The R should be PDK, AC, sat nav, the lot. Both with carbon buckets, naturally!

• Like 1

Trouble with 987 Spyder or R is trying to find one in the right spec, as a lot of people are holding onto them now. You'd want a Spyder with manual 'box, no AC, no stereo, pure as anything. The R should be PDK, AC, sat nav, the lot. Both with carbon buckets, naturally!

Agree, but it would be worth it....

• Like 1