Kit Cars

nixy

I've had the zed 9 years and since taking up perching on the back of a modified GSXR 1000 I hardly ever use it. A sunny day comes along and we're off on the bike. It hasn't been my daily driver for about 6 years and it's in the garage the majority of time. I decided to keep it forever as the condition it's in makes it worth more to me than I would get for it. However, I'm now thinking of perhaps getting something on four wheels that provides me with similar fun as going out on the bike and with me driving (I don't have a bike licence). I saw a MNR Vortx yesterday with an R1 engine in it and really liked the look of it. For me keeping something like that in the garage as a 'toy' makes more sense but I have no experience at all of these. My other half is an engineering genius with lots of contacts so I'm not worried about that side of it. I've seen some with bike engines and some with ford zetec engines (the downside to a car engine being no sequential gearbox but the upside being you get reverse). Anyone got experience in this area?

Caterham ?

Lots more money! We've been considering building one with a hyabusa engine but you can throw thousands at it that you will never get back so I'm looking at one that someone else has already thrown thousands at that they will never get back!

What's your budget out of interest?

Pistonheads list "bike engined" cars here: http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bike-powered-cars/cars

"Kit" cars here: http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/kit-cars

If it was me I think I'd rather a bike powered car if it was just going to be for fun. ;)

My rage buggy has a fire blade engine and bike sequential box. It uses a quaife reverse box, so you just pull a lever and the rotation of drive to the back diff is reversed.

So you've got 6 forwards gears, pull the lever you've then got 6 gears backwards. So in theory 120mph in reverse 😬

I've not got the balls to test the theory though 😂

Just swap your Coupe for a Roadster, problem solved :teeth: - Before any slating, try it, I have been a coupe kinda person since whenever and my Zed is my first convertible (not counting my mum's Astra GTE a looooong time ago ;) ). I attempted to do what everyone says on the site about trying a few before you buy, but the first one I tried was the one I have - I was just taken with the whole package. :lol:

Thanks for the input - the thought of selling the zed is the hardest decision, it's like a pet after 9 years! I don't want a convertible zed I actually prefer the coupes (no offence). It's just that with my lifestyle and the fact we've got between us a daily car, a zed, a van, a motorbike I just don't drive it, it's like an ornament in the garage. I'm more into the bike nowadays and thought that a kit car has the same kind of appeal to me as I don't really want to do my bike licence. If I had a big enough garage I would probably have both! I will PM Keyser and see what his experience was. Cheers.

Late to the party as always :lol:

PM replied to :)

Ref the reverse - MNR do a kit that gives the R1 engine version a reveres gear, opinions vary but some say it will reduce RWHP by 5-10 others say it can have other issues if used for anything more than just gently backing out of a parking spot.

Mine did not have reverse - doughnuts for the win :lol: (that prolly does more damage than a reveres though :lol: )

Edited by Keyser

Another vote for doing your bike test from me. That way you & the other half can go for rides out together etc. Bikes are cheap as chips these days so you could pick up a sporty 600 for hardly anything.

Mate of mine, his missus passed her test after years of being pillion on the back of his. Now they hire a babysitter to look after their 2 kids whilst they both go for rides out. He`s got an R1 & she`s got an R6.

Another vote for doing your bike test from me. That way you & the other half can go for rides out together etc. Bikes are cheap as chips these days so you could pick up a sporty 600 for hardly anything.

Mate of mine, his missus passed her test after years of being pillion on the back of his. Now they hire a babysitter to look after their 2 kids whilst they both go for rides out. He`s got an R1 & she`s got an R6.

I know what you're saying but the thought of being a learner again and putting myself through all that is really off putting.

I know what you're saying but the thought of being a learner again and putting myself through all that is really off putting.

I know what you mean, I hate being a learner but its all pretty easy. One of my mates passed his the other year and did some sort of 1 week intensive course. As your a car driver your already got a head start in that you know the roads etc, its just a case of learning how to ride a bike which is pretty straight forward. Then once you pass your other half can go out with you and teach you how to ride properly!.

I wouldnt know what the market is like for a bike engined kit car, maybe something to consider. After swapping the 350 recently and getting a vx220 they might be worth a look, in my brief experience i can say they are a lot of fun and a safe bet resale.