Stupid question...but I thought all '07 cars had HR engines?

RavenDW

Or was there some crossover?

To clarify, my Zed was registered in April 2007 (according to the DVLA).

FxkdA09.png

Whenever I do insurance quotes etc. it comes back listing it as a 313 rather than one of the lower bhp models.

X6FeZJ8.png

It has the GT pack; Bose system, cruise control, heated seats etc.

However, the by the lack of bonnet bulge and looking in the engine bay it isn't a HR, right? Not to mention it only has one intake.

(yN1lHqh.jpg

(Please excuse the dirty engine bay. The last few weekends have been busy; I've only just about been able to wash the outside.)

So does anybody have a clue as to where I stand? Because at the moment it seems like I was assuming the insurance companies etc. (including the tax man) were correct and they have been charging me for a 313 HR and not a rev-up DE (which this looks like this is). The rev counter has the redline in 7k, rather than 6.5k or 7.5k like the other models.

Admittedly it means I won't have to worry about the gasket issue that I've been following, but I'm confused.

Edited by RavenDW

Okay guys thanks for the info. I was pretty sure I was right. Not sure how to feel about not have a HR but hey.

Now I just need to make sure that companies don't assume I have a 313 in the future.

Okay guys thanks for the info. I was pretty sure I was right. Not sure how to feel about not have a HR but hey.

Now I just need to make sure that companies don't assume I have a 313 in the future.

As long as the car you have has been well looked after I wouldn't feel too down about it to be honest. On the positive side no need to worry about oil gallery gaskets now and CSC an easier job if it goes.

Another give away is the colour; no HR cars came in Azure

Which is a shame because it is a lovely colour. Although the night blue replacement is also lovely.

I had no idea. That dark blue does look fantastic; I would genuinely be torn choosing between the azure I have and the midnight.

Now that I know for definite what I'm dealing with (I feel like an idiot btw), that means I now need to look into the DE rev-ups little quirks.

No, now he gets to be paranoid over excess oil usage instead ;):lol:

Don't feel too bad fella, as long as you didn't pay HR money for it then you've still got a cracking car there and in a stunning colour too.

No, now he gets to be paranoid over excess oil usage instead ;):lol:

Don't feel too bad fella, as long as you didn't pay HR money for it then you've still got a cracking car there and in a stunning colour too.

I had been thinking it was drinking oil quite quickly, but that's something I can keep on top of. I paid £8k, which going by eBay seems to be around the top end for an 07 GT.

8k would be a bit low for a well looked after HR I think so I suspect you haven't paid massively over the odds or anything.

Good to hear. The mileage wasn't great (89k) but I think I've got a solid car at the end of the day. I think it had a shunt on the front end, but the bumper was replaced long before I got to it. I don't think it's been run hard by amateur drifters anyway :lol:

07's were March 1st 2007 onwards and the HR wasn't introduced until May 2007, so while there's an overlap, many DE's were sold between March and May 2007. I would imagine that when any company updates or facelifts a car there's always be a period when dealers have both models in stock. An example would be the Capri 2.8i I bought brand new in 1985 even though the Capri 2.8i Special was introduced in 1984. You can usually get a really good deal if you come upon this sort of thing, I got almost 20% off the Capri.

Pete

One assumes that the good deal to be had only applies to new from the forecourt cars and doesn't really translate to second hand.

Yes, an older model won't be worth as much, even if registered after a newer one. In my case I already had a second hand 2.8i and the dealership phoned me up to say they had a few of the older models in stock and needed to sell them off. I think I paid around 10.2k for it, a Capri 2.8i Special was 12k or so and that would have stretched my finances a bit too much.

Pete

Another give away is the colour; no HR cars came in Azure

Which is a shame because it is a lovely colour. Although the night blue replacement is also lovely.

I have seen one, it was an import, defo HR as it had 2 intakes. That's the only one I've ever seen. It was on Autotrader, then Junction17 got hold of it and added a few £k.

post-22825-0-38692700-1463558951_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

I bought what I was told was the 313 (even states that on my sales invoice).After much ridicule from some on here,which I chose to ignor as I loved the car as soon as I started it for the first time.Far nice drive than the M3s I used in my job,so why have one as a road car?

However, mine was registered on 1 March 2007 to a woman who was Head of Nissan Finance.It has everything it should have-bose etc etc.

As for the extra 12 bhp,not worth the extra cash any way,I have my rev limiter set at six five and it does everthing I want it to.Much better pick up with the single mass FW,and Sport cats fitted though.

It's not the extra power that makes the difference, it's the extra revs. The HR is without doubt the better engine.

Btw, that's not a rev limiter, it's a shift light. You can set it to 4K if you want, the car won't stop you revving past that.

The HR is also an 80% new engine over the old one and Nissan did all sorts of stuff like mounting the engine lower in the car to improve handling etc.

I found when I sold my 313 that garages didnt really know what they were. Even the "glasses" guide at the time didnt know what an 313 was and priced my 313 at exactly the same price as the older car. Which was a bit of a pain as I was part-ex`ing it at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Traded in my black 07 HR in Dublin last year. It was almost worthless compared to new. New it was about €57k. In 2015 a dealer had it for sale again at I think €11k and trade in was about €7k. I think it had 70k km on it.

Clutch and steering were also far better on the HR.

BTW I had an 04 Azure before that. Loved that colour.

Change to an M6 which I trade in for an tank this year. I was getting about 4mpg in the city where I do 90% of my driving so it had to go.

It's not the extra power that makes the difference, it's the extra revs. The HR is without doubt the better engine.

Btw, that's not a rev limiter, it's a shift light. You can set it to 4K if you want, the car won't stop you revving past that.

Yes sorry,meant to edit but then forgot.How often is it that all of 7k is used anyway?6.5 6.7 is the most Ill use really no point in taking it higher.Plenty of other ways to go quicker.;)