Insurance claim Farce

rtbiscuit

Last year I had an incident, long story short, lorry cut the corner I was entering into. I stopped and he proceeded to drag down the side of the car, cracking the wing mirror mount, damaging the paint on the wing mirror and the straps left scratches down the side of my door.

photo I took clearly shows him on my side of the road, and they also show the damage.

lorry driver wants to settle outside of insurance; I gave him the quote for repair and he refused to pay; went through insurance at which point he says he was never there, then he stopped answer calls

fast forward a year later: story from third party is that he was there, but the vehicles never touched, but they'll settle for 50:50 liability

I've lost 1 year no claim, half my excess and what ever the premium increases will be while this is on my record.

whats bugged me most is how I ended up screwed when I did everything right, and the pee-ni in the lorry has got away with it.

both places I spoke to said it would be my word against his in court and the judge would settle 50:50 anyway.

I shall be investing the money I get back for half my excess in a dash cam most likely a blackvue 650

just irritates the crap out of me

I'm really looking at using a dash cam now, I don't really do the miles to justify it but seeing as even at my low mileage some prick still managed to crash into me... Plus, I can save all the footage of people being nobs on the road, make a compilation and post it here :teeth:

Dash cams are great and can help you in a claim like this but be aware.....

If you are involved in an incident or get stopped by the police and they consider it may be helpful in proving an offense they can confiscate it.

Just bear that in mind if you get stopped for speeding or have an accident as your own cam might be your undoing.

• Like 1

I use a dash cam now as on my way to our Milton Keynes depot some idiot in an Audi overtook me then pulled in front of me and slammed his brakes on trying to get me to rear end him, but luckily there was no one besides me so I was able to swerve out of his way safely. I do 30,000 miles a year with my job so thought it was a good investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lorry driver wants to settle outside of insurance; I gave him the quote for repair and he refused to pay; went through insurance at which point he says he was never there, then he stopped answer calls

There's your problem right there, you see, that's illegal, why the f*ck do you think you pay for your insurance as we all do. :wacko:

I don't think it is actually, the requirement is to inform your insurance of the accident to ensure your insurance remains valid, having valid insurance is what's legally required.

And by inform I don't mean let them deal with it, they just need to know and adjust premiums accordingly.

Edited by Husky

Dash cams are great and can help you in a claim like this but be aware.....

If you are involved in an incident or get stopped by the police and they consider it may be helpful in proving an offense they can confiscate it.

Just bear that in mind if you get stopped for speeding or have an accident as your own cam might be your undoing.

I think this is a far higher probability :o

Edited by Dynamic Turtle

I use a gopro instead, figured I can offset the cost by filming other things like shooting trips or holidays :)

Only do about 4k miles a year, and so far bave caught no accidents but a few people driving like male genitalia...

Almost had a few people hit me from the coming round a 90 degree bend but on my side of the road!

Boils your p*ss that insurance is so costly and the only people who seem to benefit are the scammers with "whiplash", not the honest 3rd victims who stump up every year and get shafted, 2nd such nonsense this month (ekona vs lorry driver).

That blows. How come your pics from the time don't count for anything?

doesn't prove contact was made, only that he was on my side of the road

Sh**ter.

In the dash cam stakes, I went for a very basic one, no GPS/speed or G meter. I figure I don't need it showing me 3 mph over the limit getting side swiped and some clown saying it happened because I was speeding, not because they weren't paying attention.

There's good info over at https://dashcamtalk.com

That blows. How come your pics from the time don't count for anything?

doesn't prove contact was made, only that he was on my side of the road

Sh**ter.

In the dash cam stakes, I went for a very basic one, no GPS/speed or G meter. I figure I don't need it showing me 3 mph over the limit getting side swiped and some clown saying it happened because I was speeding, not because they weren't paying attention.

There's good info over at https://dashcamtalk.com

Can't they just take your frame rate and the distance of travel to work out your speed...

i like the Mi-witness HD but its not 1080p only 720p, but its the only one ive seen that comes with a 3 year warranty and gaurentee

I don;t want a screen on it, i need it to be small and stealthy to sit out of sight behind the wing mirror and be reliable and record decent footage.

I have a Blackvue 400hd in my 370z (Has the gps etc) and have a G1W in my daily (

) , for what they cost i think everyone should have one

With regards to the Police siezing the footage, thats the reason I didnt hang around long at the Supra crash once I checked they were ok, whilst my driving was fine , his driving before the crash couldve got him in further trouble.

I usually have a corrupted micro SD card in the car , in case they ask;)

One word of warning is that some insurers class a dashcam as a modification and will load your premium , others will discount it

Edited by Richf@H-Dev

Can't they just take your frame rate and the distance of travel to work out your speed...

They could but then you could argue about the reliability/consistency of a cheapo dash cam with no maintence and no tested performance being used as a speed camera, for which it's not been designed. I guess if you're doing 90 in a 60 and they clock a time between two fixed points, you might have a battle on your hands, but for lower differences I'd be surprised if they could get you like that.

PS - I'm not encouraging speeding kids. Drive safe & legal.

Similar thing happened to me at a filling station. I was parked up and a truck scraped all my panels from front to back.

The half-wit appeared oblivious, and when I approached him he took a swing at me and kept advancing to hit me.

I engaged a certain amount of back-pedalling and persuasive interaction from a colleague I'd just met there.

Dumbo was having none of it and took off, not before I'd taken details from the truck and reg no.

Luckily, I had a witness and it was a company car, so I just passed all the details on to my employer to sort out.

whats bugged me most is how I ended up screwed when I did everything right, and the pee-ni in the lorry has got away with it.

both places I spoke to said it would be my word against his in court and the judge would settle 50:50 anyway.

I shall be investing the money I get back for half my excess in a dash cam most likely a blackvue 650

just irritates the crap out of me

I feel for you. I had something similar many years ago. Woman pulled straight out of a side street and knocked me off my motorbike. She immediately admitted it was her fault and she hadnt seen me. I had 2 witnesses who both said they couldnt believe the woman pulled straight out in front of me etc. etc. I passed it all over to my insurance company thinking it was a clear cut case.

Insurance company messed about for months and didnt even bother speaking to the witnesses until about 8 months later, by which time they couldnt remember much. In the end after much haggling in court between solicitors & insurance companies the final outcome was 50/50 liability. It also meant I lost 2 years NCB as I never had it protected. On the plus side, the estimates from the local garage to have my motorbike repaired were on the very high side, so when I got 50% of the repair costs from the insurance company, I managed to repair the bike for not much more than what they paid.

Ive been thinking of a dashcam for my car also recently, so thanks for suggesting the blackvue, looks good!