Race Me sign on my Z

kbad

The thing that annoys me most of all. People that deliberately speed up as I overtake on the Motorway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had some smug looking woman in a Mercedes going really slowly so I went to overtake, she instantly puts her foot down and I could see her grinning as we were sitting side-by-side.

Only ever really experienced this once.

Trackday at nürburgring last leg of the journey, M20 and tired as I'd driven straight from track.

It was dark and I noticed a car downshift to my right, revved the engine to get my attention. I was not interested however it didn't stop him downshifting again, which was a mistake as the next thing I heard was a bang and lots of smoke. I watched him through my rear view mirror pulling onto the hard shoulder. Laughed all the way home

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I use cruise control on the motorway whenever possible, so I know my speed is constant... so it bugs the heck out of me when drivers speed up as I overtake... or often insist on overtaking me back once I've pulled in. Invariably Audi/BMW drivers too (that's not a slight on BMW drivers, I was one for many years, just an observation).

I also find a certain type of driver that guns it as I overtake them on my motorbike... obviously pointless as you need to be in a supercar to have any chance against a sportsbike. Again not casting dispersions, but this always seems to be middle-aged male drivers of BMW "M Sports" or Audi "S-Line" cars... they seem to believe having a sporty body kit on their otherwise base 2 litre saloon elevates it to M3/M5/RS4 territory.

• Like 2

what really grates me is when you're coming off a slip road , get to motorway speed to filter in, and someone who could move over......won't. so, you either have to speed up and look like a tit by undertaking them on the slip road, or hit the anchors. i hit the anchors, and then im too close behind the pillock who wouldn't move over, so they hit their brakes. The level of inconsideration and utter stupidity is breathtaking. And all because i'm in a 350. it's never happened to me in any other car.

• Like 1

Your fault, not theirs. It's a give way line, so you should already be adjusting your speed and position to merge without affecting other road users.

I happily pass on the right on a slip road, if it allows a safer entry. Given the limit is 70mph and a lot of traffic in L1 will be doing 55mph, there's no reason not to.

• Like 1

There's a good book called Mind Driving and another one called The Chimp Paradox which explain how drivers behave on the road and why they (we) do it. Once you have it all explained it's much easier to deal with it. I admire people on here who can just turn the other cheek because I have always been quite competitive, but non aggressive and at nearly 70 I realise my reactions have slowed and my eyesight does not adjust as quickly. On the other hand Advanced training has helped so I have a system and a standard I try to achieve regardless of what others might do. Having said that, I was amazed by a stock Vauxhall Astra XR or whatever it's called getting past me when I was accelerating fairly hard on the way back from Goodwood and although the 350 soon got into its stride and I was in an overtake position he wouldn't move over. I thought undertaking him at the speed we were doing might be taking the mick especially for a driving instructor like me I should show restraint so I settled in position and he ran out of puff. I am not proud of that on a public road, but that thing was quick.

I go out for a good blast early Sunday mornings sometimes when all the testosterone brigade are still in bed after doing blokey stuff all night although I have long forgotten what that was. Then I can have a fast safe drive without too many idiots around but there are still cyclists, runners, animals, church goers horse riders etc to be ready for without worrying about Wayne in his Corsa are some Arse in a BMW tiring to prove a point. The thing is, driving quickly and well takes practice and some training. Unless you do it occasionally when you can, how cany you keep your skills up to snuff. Getting involved with other drivers is never a good idea, you don't know who you are dealing with and it can get you into "red mist" territory. A friend in another vehicle is fine if you can trust them.

Anyway, enough crap from me. Read the Chimp Paradox if you can find the time.

Drive safe

Edited by z350convert
  • Like 2

Convert, I can't believe you are talking about doing *fairly high speed on public roads and that its ok racing your mate if you trust them then end with drive safe :scare: neither of which those statements are, and you are a driving instructor?

Edit, speed ref removed

Edited by coldel

Convert, I can't believe you are talking about doing *fairly high speed on public roads and that its ok racing your mate if you trust them at speeds then end with drive safe :scare: neither of which those statements are, and you are a driving instructor?

Thanks for comment and apologies for any offence.

I don't think I mentioned the word racing. Driving quickly and safely on the roads is fine and having a friend or colleague works well. A lot of bikers do it, even with radio link. It's about keeping to speed limits or less depending on conditions and using speed in the right places, reading the road ahead from visual links like gaps in hedges, roof tops warning you about potential driveways or parked vehicles, clues from mud on the road, noticing the change in road surfaces etc etc. All the stuff you learn about in Advanced Driving which I enjoy and why I like a responsive car. I may not have made it clear that driving with a friend is not about racing it's about working with the same agenda of making good progress it's safety and enjoyment. With a friend you can practice overtaking which is the most dangerous manoeuvre we all do. Perhaps I didn't make that clear enough but it was a bit off topic.

Wish I hadn't put in the bit about the Vauxhall but it was in the context of the original topic and I thought I was talking to like minded individuals. I am sure I'm not the only bloke who has given his car a good spanking occasionally, otherwise why not drive a Micra but I have edited the post as advised.

Ps you will be relieved to read that I have retired as a driving instructor (after reaching a high grade) and am now a watercolour artist

• Like 2

Actually, that's a really good idea about using a friend to practice overtaking. You could film it that way too, to see how your driving actually looks/sounds to others.

I might well have to try that, that's superb, thanks! :)

OK, sorry your post (coupled with the Astra story) made it sound like you were OK with excessive speed - I have been shouted down on here before but I generally don't go with the view that its safe to hugely speed on public roads "when its clear" or "there are never any other cars on this stretch of road at this time of day" or "I could see for way down the road it was clear" and so on and so forth. Yes I am the boring speed nazi or whatever else people slying reference me as, but I don't care :boxing:

OK, sorry your post (coupled with the Astra story) made it sound like you were OK with excessive speed - I have been shouted down on here before but I generally don't go with the view that its safe to hugely speed on public roads "when its clear" or "there are never any other cars on this stretch of road at this time of day" or "I could see for way down the road it was clear" and so on and so forth. Yes I am the boring speed nazi or whatever else people slying reference me as, but I don't care :boxing:

That's ok stick to your guns. You are right, me going at that speed was indifensible on a public road but it was the exception. In the theme of the original post, tailgaters are a pain and the car attracts them. But with a 350 you have nothing to prove so you can let them past as soon as possible so you can keep an eye on them and keep a distance. Let the car off the leash when conditions are right, ok, taking your point, within reason.

Actually, that's a really good idea about using a friend to practice overtaking. You could film it that way too, to see how your driving actually looks/sounds to others.

Yes, good idea about the camera, have one front and back but haven't thought about using it for that. That's exactly how the Class 1 police do their training, lucky blighters.

what really grates me is when you're coming off a slip road , get to motorway speed to filter in, and someone who could move over......won't. so, you either have to speed up and look like a tit by undertaking them on the slip road, or hit the anchors. i hit the anchors, and then im too close behind the pillock who wouldn't move over, so they hit their brakes. The level of inconsideration and utter stupidity is breathtaking. And all because i'm in a 350. it's never happened to me in any other car.

Hmmm. Did you perhaps leave getting over a bit late, just a thought. You raise an interesting point about undertaking

on slip road, that's an interesting one. Imagine you have Auntie Doris in lane 1 doing 40 or less and you are behind and in the deceleration lane (slip road if you like) do you hold back at her speed and **** everyone off behind waiting for the white chevrons or undertake. Strictly speaking it's not an undertake because the green studs separate it as a different carriageway for a different purpose. However Doris could easily shift lanes to her left without warning or perhaps a late signal as you pass. Best practice as I see it is to pass down the near side with a couple of short friendly toots and a watchful eye on the driving behaviour of other person.

I should know this stuff but I'm not sure what we are supposed to do is what I do for real. Will look it up and get back.

Wonder what everyone else thinks.......?

Yes, good idea about the camera, have one front and back but haven't thought about using it for that. That's exactly how the Class 1 police do their training, lucky blighters.

We didn't have cameras back in the early 90s during Road craft training and grade 1 wasn't employed for all traffic officers, I only completed grade 2 high powered pursuit. We employed a verbal commentary system as part of our assessment, but cameras would have been a superb tool to analyse back in the classroom. The onboard Vascar system was consulted occasionally after a run but we had no rear facing device on our Senators :)

Edited by Zeezeebaba
  • Like 1

We didn't have cameras back in the early 90s during Road craft training and grade 1 wasn't employed for all traffic officers, I only completed grade 2 high powered pursuit. We employed a verbal commentary system as part of our assessment, but cameras would have been a superb tool to analyse back in the classroom. The onboard Vascar system was consulted occasionally after a run but we had no rear facing device on our Senators :)

Pleased you have joined in. What's your view on passing slow vehicles in lane 1 when you are leaving motorway in deceleration lane within green studs but before reaching white dividing chevrons. See my point earlier. Have found no reference to it in the Highway Code nor in any Road Craft material. Common sense is do it carefully but I wonder why the subject isn't covered.

All nonsense to me, was out this saturday, and had 4 guys in a BMW coupe on my case from the turn, driving like idiots tailgating, It was a long straight, they tailgated me then tried to go round me i was already in 4th gear, I floored it. I was approaching a traffic light and some guy was pulling out and saw the bmw on the wrong side of the road and stopped. I was already back on legal limit, so i wasnt coming in fast, It was a red light going green, I scooted out the way so they could get lost.

At first they hesitated, but I waited and didnt move and they went their own way putting on his hazard light, not sure what for as I already thought he was a ****,

The only reason I pulled over is it was getting out of hand, and police wont see him they will only see me, plus someone steps in the road its over. The fact that someone pulling out a side road had to halt to see what the idiots would do next.

I get it all the time. But how much petrol are you going to burn leaving idiots behind.....it gets tiresome.

Some one tailgates you and then tries to go around and your response is to floor it? In 4th so presumably to well above the legal limit, and then you have to slow down to the legal limit because there are other road users about who are obviously being put in danger!

You describe him as a ****, and driving like an idiot.

I wonder how would you describe your driving on this occasion then?....... :blush:

id describe it as minding my own business driving in a straight line

• Like 1

Your fault, not theirs. It's a give way line, so you should already be adjusting your speed and position to merge without affecting other road users.

I happily pass on the right on a slip road, if it allows a safer entry. Given the limit is 70mph and a lot of traffic in L1 will be doing 55mph, there's no reason not to.

i didn't explain it well enough. Edited by Rock_Steady

lt happens rarely and when it does I generally drive steadily and at an appropriate speed and then let them get on with it. If there's a chance for them to overtake, I'll ease left or ease off the gas a touch, gives them the opportunity to get by me.

Then I can go about my business without some muppet behind me. I have nothing to prove to them, I just want to enjoy my journey and driving without some small penised individual sat on my tail

Occasionally if, despite there being many opportunities for them to overtake, they stay sat behind me. I will make maximum use of rev matching on the 'twisty's'.

It amuses me no end to have some idiot right behind me. Not realising I've dropped a couple of gears without braking, to sail through a corner (while still making progress).

I then quickly glance at the rear view mirror and they've invariably had to brake to avoid going in the hedge/ditch. Leaving them 6 to 7 car lengths behind me, rather than the 1/2 a chuffing car length they originally were.

I can see the puzzled looks on their faces, they can't work out what's happened. It's even better when they then accelerate up behind me to sit on my tail. Only to find themselves the same extended distance behind me again when we go through the next series of bends, the buffoons.

Edit* By the way, this can happen when I'm driving the Zed, Seat or the Merc

Edited by Bockaaarck
  • Like 1