Do Wings work?

GrahameJ

A screenshot from that video shows that big wing is producing 288.6lbs of down-force at the rear, so much so that it is acting as a cantilever, with 96% down-force at the rear and only 4% a the front.

Big_wing_zpsr0kwe35t.jpg

350z%20Down-force_zpsspttp8um.jpg

TBF that screenshot is taken at 112mph wind speed and it's unlikely you will ever be attaining that on a public highway other than a straight motorway in a strong head wind.

I don't think there is any question about wings producing DF and on the race circuit clearly they are proven. Even moto GP bikes have started experimenting with them! But for real world driving on public highways I can't see them doing much more than looking cool. In your original post you commented on how at 60mph it only produced enough DF to turn off the boot open sensor and I can't see that effecting the handeling of the vehicle in the slightest.

I was of the understanding aero comes into effect from 50mph upwards and its not linear, so the load at 100mph is 4 times the load at 50mph, so imo, anything north of 50 and you will see gains. It would be interesting to know if the op had done a 100 would it have actually closed the boot, over to you op, we need an experiment :teeth:

Jetpilot - I'd love to, but I'm a bit paranoid on the roads these days after a nice man in a shiny metallic blue BMW stopped me for a chat and show me a video on the M6 a while ago.

It wasn't in the Zed, but my old Merc estate, and I'd just speeded up slightly so an Audi TT could safely pull out of the middle lane behind me without running into the back of the road hog in the middle lane which he was quickly approaching, and sure enough the Audi slotted in right behind me. At that point my mirrors were filled with flashing blue lights from behind the Audi.....

The nice man subsequently explained he wasn't too bothered about me travelling at 82-83mph, but 87mph was a booking!

After the paperwork he told me he was actually a Merc fan and had his own V8 AMG.

So my impromptu spoiler test was conducted up to the maximum advisory road speed. ;)

Rich260 - feel free, and it will be interesting to see if you can achieve the same results.

Cue traders offering Nismo spoilers in a group buy.

Says a lot really.

If Nissan spent untold amount of money developing the 350Z, then it stands to reason that bolting stuff onto it can only be detrimental to the performance....unless you have access to a sophisticated wind tunnel to know what the hell you're doing.

So to answer the OPs question, do wings/spoilers work? Yes, probably, but almost 100% not favourably without a sophisticated set up.

Juggalo - your aegument is wrong, but withput going into all the details as to why ill jist drop the one key bombshlell..

You ready?

Sure?

Nissan motorsports designed the wing on thw op's car. :D

The aloe vera is over there in the corner :)

• Like 2