0 - 60 mph..

jaytt

Hi

Just trialled a 0-60 on an old unused straight, as you do.

Running a 350Z Roadster 2005, standard (from what I know) apart from having the air filter box removed and a JDM/K&N Style cone fitted.

Plugged in an OBD2 Bluetooth and also used the GPS on my Android Phone (Calibrated it first) with Torque Pro.

Since I had the car, it never felt as fast as my 300ZX TT, which its obviously not... but dissapointed with the resuls.

5 runs and the best timing I could get is 7.7 secs, worst was 8.6 (had ESP on).

Thats roof up and all things hammered down.

Specs say it should be around 5.3 - 5.6 secs.... Can't see mine getting anywhere near there.

I normally just drive around and enjoy the mid-range power a little listening to the exhaust, and am *normally* not one for 0-60 etc.. just was interested how quick it was...and isn't :(

Anyone else with a std roadster got similar times?

Cheers

• Like 1

Paper time for 0-60 for the roadster is not 5.3 seconds I am pretty sure of that from memory its something closer to 6. In any case as Dan says, unless you were on a perfect piece of tarmac, with favourable wind conditions, with perfect shifting and launch plus the fact your car is now a decade old and could have lost numerous horses it doesn't sound beyond the realms that is what your car would run?

miss the boost of the turbo's :(

I bought the car to generally enjoy in the sunshine, which I'm sure if the british weather ever decides to right itself, I will love......... however, not sure if there are any small mods that would release power.

Already been told these are not worth chipping, so will just enjoy it for what it is.. a comfortable GT sports soft top...

May sell after summer and get a coupe..

On the old tt - you could fit 2 welding tips for about 70p and get nearly 30HP more!! cheap and easy mod... :)

Cheers all.

The only way to get near OEM 0-60 is to not lift the gas pedal when shifting gear, and destroying your clutch when you launch. Don't worry about it.

Also, ESP must be off for any kind of spirited driving timing.

Paper time for 0-60 for the roadster is not 5.3 seconds I am pretty sure of that from memory its something closer to 6. In any case as Dan says, unless you were on a perfect piece of tarmac, with favourable wind conditions, with perfect shifting and launch plus the fact your car is now a decade old and could have lost numerous horses it doesn't sound beyond the realms that is what your car would run?

Factory specs and reality are 2 different things.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

^^ What they all said. ;)

Plus tyres will make a difference and a lot of other factors including believe it or not, when your oil was last changed as you'll probably gain a few Bhp having fresh oil in over having old oil in.

If it does worry you though maybe it's worth getting the Zed put on a dyno just to give you some idea of where the power level is at or even a full health check (compression etc) just to make sure it's running as good as it should.

I came across a yt video where they tested acceleration specs of I think VW Golf R with dsg and manual shifter. Even the DSG couldn't come in close range of factory specs where you just need to let go the break pedal and hit throttle. Was some half a second difference if i recall right

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

5.3 seems a bit over optimistic. The quoted figure for the 370 for 0-62mph(100kph) is usually that, slightly slower for the auto and roadster and the 350 about a 1/2 second or so slower again.

Do remember an old episode of Top Gear where they had a drag race of the two and the 300ZX easily left the 350 behind.

miss the boost of the turbo's :(

I bought the car to generally enjoy in the sunshine, which I'm sure if the british weather ever decides to right itself, I will love......... however, not sure if there are any small mods that would release power.

Already been told these are not worth chipping, so will just enjoy it for what it is.. a comfortable GT sports soft top...

May sell after summer and get a coupe..

On the old tt - you could fit 2 welding tips for about 70p and get nearly 30HP more!! cheap and easy mod... :)

Cheers all.

Turbos will always give bigger gains for relatively lower costs compared to NA cars, did you not test drive a few before switching over? You would have found if you missed the power delivery of a turbo or not?

the 350z is a heavy rear wheel drive car which will always struggle for traction off the line and as I have found it gets worse when you add more power!

I met Chris Harris at Bedford a few years ago and he told me the 0-60 times they got out of cars were obtained by redlining,side stepping the clutch and slamming into second without lifting the throttle!

Many cars broke clutches!

In my experience the zed is a car that comes into its own once rolling, let the torque in the upper gears do the work!

• Like 3

whilst we are on the subject. I have never done proper track driving, nothing competitive etc, so not sure about this:

Is there a certain place on the rev counter to change each gear if your going quick in a straight line, or do you just red line it all?

I have never done track time either, but I would guess you want to keep the car in the best power band at all times in terms of the rev range, I guess if you look at a dyno print out you can probably see the band where you achieve the most power and that is not always on the red line?

yes I wondered that, I have never been on a dyno, probably a good place to start!

Just thought if someone could go

1st gear 6000rpm

2nd gear 5500rpm ....

It may help the OP as well as me :)

Cars will have different dyno readouts depending on state of tune, there is a dyno thread on the forum if you do a quick search where you can see dozens of them

Cheers People, will prob have another go in the summer, when the roads warm up....

My 300ZX TT had Racelogic traction and launch too...incredible setup.

As someone stated earlier - the 350z impresses most up at higher speeds when you roll on to overtake...

Im happy enough with it....for now.... be happier when the bloody sun comes out and I can get roof down and enjoy evening cruising...