Warming up your engine?

sinbad

On a turbo install, what is the requirements here? I know that after driving you cant just turn the engine straight off, am I right?

I used to leave mine idling for a few minutes. Invest in a turbo timer though :thumbs:

+1

Dont floor it up to your drive. If say your on a 30 minute journey take it easy for the last few minutes of your trip and just let it idle for a few minutes once your at your destination.

On a turbo install, what is the requirements here? I know that after driving you cant just turn the engine straight off, am I right?

I used to leave mine idling for a few minutes. Invest in a turbo timer though :thumbs:

good point, and set it to run for how long?

Id set it for 3 or 4 minutes :)

really :scare: that long, even if its only running 380bhp?

Drive straight away at sensible rev limits, about 3 thousand until the lump warms up, which in reality takes about 5 to 6 miles :)

Sats

With you there Sats :thumbs: - and avoid any harsh throttle imputs until it is fully warmed up - from what I have read over the years that is the biggest killer of engine longevity.

Spot on EBIZED, spot on :thumbs:

Agree with this too :thumbs:

Mine was only running 210 & I used to leave it idle for 3/4 minutes

Was that the Leon? My LFR only put out 180BHP and I used to take it easy for the last mile or 2 of my journey home (all 30MPH limits) and it was always fine. I could see the point in a LC which was mapped or a LCR which was mapped but not my stock.

For the Zed, I guess it depends on how hot it runs. The engine bay is packed as it is, so with two turbos its gonna get toasty in there. If you didnt rag it all the way home, I'd say a couple of minutes would do it good. You be better taking it easy for the last few miles and get some airflow to cool it, rather than idle it on the drive :thumbs:

Was that the Leon? My LFR only put out 180BHP and I used to take it easy for the last mile or 2 of my journey home (all 30MPH limits) and it was always fine. I could see the point in a LC which was mapped or a LCR which was mapped but not my stock.

Mapped Ibiza Cupra :thumbs:

Mapped Ibiza Cupra :thumbs:

Ahh, that'd explain it :)

Chipped ibiza cupra? And you left it idling for 4 minutes after each drive? Djeez :wacko:

I guess i had the same engine (180hp, chipped to 210) in my TT, but I never bothered with that. I just drove at normal speeds/accelerations the last mile (which you have to anyway, if your garage is in a city center :p)

If I Idled my car for 4 mins every day, the neighbours would bloody kill me :blush:

Hell yea.

On start up from cold the 07 Z idles at about 2k for between 30 secs and a minute. Nothing compared to the Lambo but still noisy enough to make people look round. I drive till the oil temp rises then punch it.

If I Idled my car for 4 mins every day, the neighbours would bloody kill me :blush:

Hell yea.

On start up from cold the 07 Z idles at about 2k for between 30 secs and a minute. Nothing compared to the Lambo but still noisy enough to make people look round. I drive till the oil temp rises then punch it.

Has the 07 MY got an oil temp read-out then?

Hell yea.

Has the 07 MY got an oil temp read-out then?

My bad. Was very late when I replyed. It's the engine coolant temperature gauge.

• 2 weeks later...

as the 350z isn't a turbo, i just start the car & drive, i keep the revs below 3k until the engine is warm.

no need to let it sit to warm up & cool down,

as for comparing warming up to a race car, there is no point as prev mentioned- they are a totally different car & need to be treated differently, the Z is a car you can use everyday & not worry too much about things like that

really :scare: that long, even if its only running 380bhp?

You will probably have to cool down too so if you are booting it around and then get home or to where you are parking, you should let the turbo cool down a bit before turning off the car, this will avoid the turbine sticking.

From experience of track cars would always let warm up as oil gets thinner and allows for proper flow. I am talking about K series which are prone to HGF.

With true race cars they do not have the same level of cooling so they could not let it warm up using the engine as a heating method. With F! the everything is so close in tolerance they would thrash pretty quickly, but ther engine get rebuilt every second race and they kind of do not do oil changes in the way you do with a production car.

My true background is in jet engines reving above 26,000rpm and totally difference ball game a they lose oil until warm but that takes less 10 seconds so no real idle time.

In a Zed if I want to keep it for 3 years then I let it warm up, otherwise would probably just drive straight off.

As Kev says BMW's are different since it does not have water OR oil temp gauges. Does not even have a oil pressure gauge either which shocked me but I hope they know what they are doing. Even stranger it does not have a dip stick, only an electronic one.

I believe F1 engines CAN'T run cold - they are seized up till heated up!

From experience of track cars would always let warm up as oil gets thinner and allows for proper flow. I am talking about K series which are prone to HGF.

With true race cars they do not have the same level of cooling so they could not let it warm up using the engine as a heating method. With F! the everything is so close in tolerance they would thrash pretty quickly, but ther engine get rebuilt every second race and they kind of do not do oil changes in the way you do with a production car.

My true background is in jet engines reving above 26,000rpm and totally difference ball game a they lose oil until warm but that takes less 10 seconds so no real idle time.

In a Zed if I want to keep it for 3 years then I let it warm up, otherwise would probably just drive straight off.

As Kev says BMW's are different since it does not have water OR oil temp gauges. Does not even have a oil pressure gauge either which shocked me but I hope they know what they are doing. Even stranger it does not have a dip stick, only an electronic one.

I believe F1 engines CAN'T run cold - they are seized up till heated up!

Yea they said that on Top Gear in regard to the Renault but as an avid F1 fan I’ve never heard of it. If it’s true it’s something I’ve never read about or heard mentioned.

I warm up for a 1 min or so in idle, then build up slowly, not going over 3k revs till properly warmed up.

More importantly who lets their engine cool down for several minutes at least before turning off, after a good thrash or motorway run? I do.

I warm up for a 1 min or so in idle, then build up slowly, not going over 3k revs till properly warmed up.

More importantly who lets their engine cool down for several minutes at least before turning off, after a good thrash or motorway run? I do.

This is more important if you are turbo charged, as the oil fries on the turbo if turned off when hot.