help : rusted subframe on my new Z

kbad

Don't stress over that. The W-brace is notorious for going that way.

Usually the cheap option that most people can do is remove it, clean the rust off and "Hammerite" paint over it but yours definitely needs binning asap before it falls off in the road, ...could be especially bad if it comes off and hits another car. Second time I've seen one that bad now.

You could try zmanalex on here for a pre-owned W-brace which is the cheapest option.

Link: http://www.350z-uk.c.../9648-zmanalex/

Your next option and imo the best option is to get an aftermarket W-brace as it will be cheaper than getting a Nissan OEM replacement. This is the one I usually recommend to people on here and everyone I know has been more than happy with it.

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRA-RACING-4-Point-Rear-Lower-Bar-Brace-for-Nissan-FAIRLADY-Z33-350z-RL4-1259-/281862953916?hash=item41a0575bbc:g:7sAAAOSw7FRWUKLW

If you don't like or want it though then I believe the Cougar Store or Clark Motorsport on here can both get you the OEM W-brace. Other traders may be able to as well but they are just the two I know who definitely should be able to although if memory serves it's around the £200 mark for the OEM one.

Good luck. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Yeah, Mines completely gone and there is the remainder left on the kidney braces, (which are also quite corroded) but I have a nice new(er) set to replace these with come the new year.

My ARB was quite bad too but I have taken that off and cleaned it stripped it and repainted it now.

If I remember rightly I was quoted £240 for the brace from Nissan whixh fits what GM quoted earlier.

Does any one else think the aftermarket one looks weaker than the OEM? I want to sort mine but the after market may be lighter but its design looks like it will flex more??

I would have thought it would be better than the stock Nissan unit .

Alan

Does any one else think the aftermarket one looks weaker than the OEM? I want to sort mine but the after market may be lighter but its design looks like it will flex more??

I would have thought it would be better than the stock Nissan unit .

Alan

Yep +1. :)

Ultra Racing are a massive company and their products AFAIK are of great quality. Supposed to be very popular & highly regarded in Australia.

Link: http://www.ultraracingeurope.com/

Quote from Ultra Racing UK:

Lifetime Warranty

Extensive Research and Development

Dedication to Chassis Safety

Multi Award Winning Manufacturer

Source: http://www.ultraracinguk.co.uk/

:thumbs:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I`m Glad I looked at this thread, was under mine last night, exactly the same. I thought to myself, oops that looks expensive, but seems reasonable. It will have to wait though, Wheels refurb and new tyres first..

I`m Glad I looked at this thread, was under mine last night, exactly the same. I thought to myself, oops that looks expensive, but seems reasonable. It will have to wait though, Wheels refurb and new tyres first..

Yep if the W-brace isn't falling off your car then don't rush as it is not an essential item per se.

New tyres would be a higher priority to me especially with the weather worsening. :thumbs:

• Like 2

In my opinion it's better to err on the side of caution and ensure the brace is structurally sound - just in case there is an unlikely event of a crash the scenario should be that due diligence has been done ie fix the brace as soon as convenient ðŸ™

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this had been removed and not replaced would it be noticed and mentioned on the MOT? Read somewhere that it not being there is not an MOT failure but that doesnt seem right to me as it looks substantial

More than likely the tester will not notice that the brace has been removed, however best to run with a brace as it does serve a purpose.

• Like 1