A Zedside Story: LC818s and Tein Springs

Hello!

I've been browsing this forum for months, but today I thought I'd sign up, say hello and start sharing the story of my 2004 Track Edition 350z. I'm also going to try and save you prospective modders a lot of time by sharing the research I have done to get to where I am today. I've always been a huge Z fan, but living in London doesn't really require a car, so it didn't make sense to buy one. However, a couple of months ago I realised that life is too short for practicality, so I marched to the bank, borrowed some money and splashed out. There really is no feeling quite like being financially reckless :) Like an excited teenager I bought the first car I saw from a guy in Ealing. I got a fantastic price as the car had no service history and was Cat D. A big risk, yes, but I went for it anyway and was lucky - I had the car checked out by a garage and was told the car was in great condition. Anyway, first things first, here's what's changed...

From this:

350z_Original.jpg

To this:

350z_New.jpg

350z_New2.jpg

Research:

1. Ground Clearance: Being a city dweller, speed bumps are an issue, hence the fairly high ride height. Here's why: The 350z stock ground clearance is 120mm. UK regulations state that no speed hump should be higher than 100mm, but the recommended height is 75mm. With new rims and lower springs, the new ride height is 100.2mm, so I can just scrape over the bigger ones!

2. Wheel width: Despite countless hours spent examining photos, I could not be sure whether the super wide 11" LC818 rear rims would stick out. I went for them anyway and it turns out they are perfectly flush; the edge of the rim comes right to the edge of the fender. Win!

Tech Spec:

Wheels: Linea Corse LC818

Front: 19 x 9.5, +20mm

Rear: 19 x 11, +25mm (rolled arches)

Tyres: Nexen

Front: 245/35/19

Rear: 275/35/19

Suspension:

Front: Tein S Tech Springs, -17mm

Rear: Tein S Tech Spring, -14mm

Credit to:

Andy Gilliand at PerformanceAlloys.com for his customer service, a great wheel deal and the free lock nuts.

Marco Vasconcelos at FullyLoadedCars.com for the bodywork and fitment of the wheels and suspension.

What's next?

JWT Flywheel and Clutch (Car is on 58,000 miles so the old one will be done soon)

Borla True Dual exhaust (K&N cold air intake already fitted)

ICE, ICE, baby!

Any recommendations for these next plans, welcomed.

Welcome mate, lovely looking zed (best colour and great wheels).

Did your rear tyres rub before you got the arches rolled? Just wondering because someone else had the same set up without rubbing, and I don't think he rolled his arches.

Welcome mate, lovely looking zed (best colour and great wheels).

Did your rear tyres rub before you got the arches rolled? Just wondering because someone else had the same set up without rubbing, and I don't think he rolled his arches.

No rubbing before, but that's because I was on stock rims. I have been told that the setup doesn't require rolling, but thought I'd do it anyway in a "while you're down there" style cost saving exercise. Just keeps the options open for later...

• Like 1