Another elderly driver incident

coldel

I suppose it can be argued that anybody can suffer some sort of medical episode whilst behind the wheel, but I then guess you have to wonder if there's any underlying medical condition that this driver suffers from which might cause blackouts...

Personally, I agree that the "elderly" should by and large be prevented from driving. There's an elderly guy lives very close to me who has reaction times that can be measured on a sundial, yet he's regularly driving around (albeit infuriatingly slowly!) in his very big Mercedes.

My Grandma drove until she was 97 and never had an accident in over 70 years of driving. I personally don't see the issue. I'd rather have a 92 year old driving at the speed limit and taking her time, than c**ts texting or on Facebook, which I see every day on the way to work. The police do virtually nothing to stop bad drivers, so one 92 year old is completely inconsequential.

• Like 12

My Grandma drove until she was 97 and never had an accident in over 70 years of driving. I personally don't see the issue. I'd rather have a 92 year old driving at the speed limit and taking her time, than c**ts texting or on Facebook, which I see every day on the way to work. The police do virtually nothing to stop bad drivers, so one 92 year old is completely inconsequential.

Hear Hear

Yes, I was just about to post something similar. You could certainly argue that a full medical at say 80 or even a fresh driving test would be a good idea but the fact remains that you're far more likely to be the victim of an accident caused by a teenager than an octogenarian.

Pete

I think it would be a nice idea if people of a certain age were obligated to take a driving test again, only to measure their abilities as an elderly person and if anything needs to be revised, it can be highlighted with advice from a professional. Whilst being old is not a disability, it can impede vision, reaction times and so on. it could only inform the driver of their weaknesses that could be improved. I don't think that could be a bad thing.

• Like 1

I think Petes point is the thing, yes you get young drivers driving like idiots but that is called breaking the law. There are unfortunately physical issues with elderly drivers that is not down to them and they are multiple times more likely to suffer - the young idiots that cause accidents in by and large not preventable, if they choose to do that. With older people taking exits onto the wrong side of a motorway because they can't see past the end of the car, or that their reactions are so slow that they have mounted a kerb before they even realise its happening, is completely preventable if they are tested for competency and physical capability.

Edited by coldel
  • Like 2

Hey, do you remember when we saw an old person driving on the roads the other week on a clear NSL road and they were doing 60mph? No? Me neither, and that's the point.

They're like mobile roadblocks most of the time, and because half the population is terrified at overtaking because it clearly must be dangerous, we all end up stuck behind the doddery old f*ckers.

• Like 5

I think it would be a nice idea if people of a certain age were obligated to take a driving test again, only to measure their abilities as an elderly person

There's also the fact that driving conditions have changed so much over the years. I passed my test in 1969 when traffic was much lighter, there was no theory or written test and the test itself lasted 20 minutes.

Pete

• Like 1

I think it would be a nice idea if people of a certain age were obligated to take a driving test again, only to measure their abilities as an elderly person

There's also the fact that driving conditions have changed so much over the years. I passed my test in 1969 when traffic was much lighter, there was no theory or written test and the test itself lasted 20 minutes.

Pete

That is a really, really good point. It is different. It's far faster and aggressive with a lot more to think about.

Hey, do you remember when we saw an old person driving on the roads the other week on a clear NSL road and they were doing 60mph? No? Me neither, and that's the point.

They're like mobile roadblocks most of the time, and because half the population is terrified at overtaking because it clearly must be dangerous, we all end up stuck behind the doddery old f*ckers.

that made me laugh " doddery old f*ckers " :lol: love that phrase. However, we'll all be doddery old f*ckers one day and maybe somebody will be writing a post about us.

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 1

My nan was 89 and going to give up driving on her 90th birthday and still a safe driver but she died of a broken neck when a drunk driver more than half her age smashed into her car whilst speeding and on his mobile and he got less than 1 year for it.

Thats shocking sorry to hear that, why people choose to do this astonishes me.

With older people taking exits onto the wrong side of a motorway because they can't see past the end of the car, or that their reactions are so slow that they have mounted a kerb before they even realise its happening, is completely preventable if they are tested for competency and physical capability.

You probably won't believe this story but it's true. When I worked at Shell as a teenager I had no means of getting to work other than getting a lift from my shift foreman whose house I was able to cycle to. Now Bill Hughes was a really nice person but the problem was, he was as blind as a bat :scare: . So, how did he pass his test, well apparently he memorized every car number in the locality before the test :surrender:. Driving in bright sunlight wasn't too great a problem for him but in the dark with rain falling it was fairly common for him to clout several kerbs and/or do emergency stops for no reason whatsoever on the way home about 12 miles. On one occasion we were coming home off nights on an August bank holiday, bright sunlight but he just didn't spot the queue of traffic at Queensferry and when I said "Hey Bill, there's a queue in front of us" he just stood on his brakes. Bill wasn't that old really, mid 40's I guess but he should never have been on the road.

Pete

My nan was 89 and going to give up driving on her 90th birthday and still a safe driver but she died of a broken neck when a drunk driver more than half her age smashed into her car whilst speeding and on his mobile and he got less than 1 year for it.

Im sorry to hear that but youve said it yourself - he was drunk and on the phone. A 92 year old with failing sight and much slower reactions is dangerous all of the time .......... and whats worse, any pensioner thats driving with these issues is in denial as well.

Both of my Grandads gave up driving because they didnt feel they were safe anymore but from what I can gather they are in a minority.

Like Jetset says, you wouldnt give a license out to someone who admits they only have 50% vision, so why can someone whose eyes have deteriorated to a greater extent keep theirs indefinitely?

Driving test resits every 10 years, for everyone. Heck could even bring in retests every 2 years between the ages of 17-25, weed out bad habits before they form.

Driving is a privilege, not a right.

I strongly suspect every single occupation that involves driving a vehicle for a living is vigorously tested and retested every few years to check the driver is still capable, but general public have to pass a test once and then are released onto the world for the next 70 years with no further training?!?

• Like 1

All very easy to say until you are elderly and still wanting your independence.

Perhaps physical exercise should be compulsory to maintain flexibility and movement as that is what most of them are lacking.

Stopping them from driving, dont let them out on there own, what ever next...euthanasia.... seems like a plan until its your turn Think on people, yer not young forever and then people will be looking at you and thinking...what a c''k

Give them space and chill a little. Learn to enjoy the journey and not just the speed

• Like 1

2nd time in history that we agree ;)

9 times out of 10, its an old person in the centre right lane doing 50mph on the M25 with nothing in the left 2 lanes....

Where I live, I rarely see an old person driving near the speed limit, its usually half of what the limit is and they are constantly on the brakes.

• Like 1

On the other hand, the fact that this has made the news suggests incidents involving elderly drivers doesn't happen very often... there are roughly 1800 deaths on the road every year which is ~5 a day... and the great majority of them don't make the news.

Just the other day I say a report about an elderly person that managed to go the wrong way on a motorway......

that's what I mean - there will be teenagers putting cars in ditches/around trees/ into bus stops pretty much every day, killing themselves and their passengers. As I say, 5 people die on the roads every day. And yet very little of this makes the news, because its so common, if it was reported it would be on the news every day.

I tend to agree, yes older drivers are incredibly frustrating when they stop dead at empty roundabouts, hog the middle lane on motorways or drive at 35mph on NSL roads, but they aren't dangerous. There would be a lot less incidents if everyone drove like an 80 year old. We'd all take twice as long to get anywhere, but we'll likely arrive alive.

Unless you pass out while driving, or are blind as a bat in the first place.

that's what I mean - there will be teenagers putting cars in ditches/around trees/ into bus stops pretty much every day, killing themselves and their passengers. As I say, 5 people die on the roads every day. And yet very little of this makes the news, because its so common, if it was reported it would be on the news every day.

I tend to agree, yes older drivers are incredibly frustrating when they stop dead at empty roundabouts, hog the middle lane on motorways or drive at 35mph on NSL roads, but they aren't dangerous. There would be a lot less incidents if everyone drove like an 80 year old. We'd all take twice as long to get anywhere, but we'll likely arrive alive.

Unless you pass out while driving, or are blind as a bat in the first place.

driving slowly is just as dangerous as driving fast.... 70mph on a motorway with a vehicle doing 40-50mph in the middle lane can be daftly dangerous!

But I do get what you mean....

However there would be a lot more road-rage incidents ;)