Another elderly driver incident

coldel

No-one who is a remotely competent driver should fear a re-test.

It shouldn't be the same test as your original one though, it should focus more on allowing traffic to flow and observation rather than hands at ten-to-two and shuffling the wheel.

An assessment at the very least with some key points of focus i.e reaction time, hazard awareness, car control etc

And just to qualify my "NOTequall " comment, I have seen people track and race driving at 70 who could thrash a lot of younger track drivers.

I used to work with a guy who raced TVR Tuscans/Caterhams amongst others, the first time he ever raced a car, 42 and he won first time out.

As Juggalo says, it wouldnt be a vote winner so will probably never be introduced, but it certainly would ease the number of cars on the road.

Is there a compulsory retest if you get banned? if not there should be!

Edited by Jetpilot

There can be, depends on what you get banned for.

Actually, I'd like to see instant bans for those caught speeding too. If you can't figure out that either it's not a safe place to speed OR it's very easy to site a camera or cop car there, you shouldn't be on the road. Same for those who jump red lights, ban the lot of them.

Any anyone who causes an accident on a motorway is given a lifetime ban. There is NO excuse for driving like a berk and causing accidents in a straight bloody line.

There can be, depends on what you get banned for.

Retest anyone would be my shout, we all have 12 points to "play" with, if you dont have the ability to learn a few times, it should be made very hard to get your license back. Full on retest and license issued back with half the number of points for 3 years.

Hang on, lol, seems if i catch any of the cop programmes it doesnt seem to matter to a lot of people whether they have a license or not, they still drive :)

But, as you say above, do you really think the above test qualifies you to drive on todays roads?

It's a fair question. The test in itself, yeah, probably not, but the 46 years experience I have well, maybe. Today's roads and conditions have evolved rather than changed overnight and I've had no break from driving in all that time. Would I still pass a driving test today? Probably not, I'd need a couple of lessons to iron out a few bad habits and would need to swat up on a bit of theory.

Pete