My dead Zed and the garage who've ripped me off. Advice welcome!

Speedway Fan

Hi all, I'll try and keep this tale of woe as brief as possible, but I'd really appreciate any thoughts on how to deal with the traders who sold me the car and also the best people to rebuild or replace the engine in my 05 350Z GT4. It's still the car I want and I want to get it going again.

I bought the car in July and posted in the introductions section. It's an awesome car and looks just like the one at the top of these pages, in ultra yellow. It's number 143/176 and it's done 52,000 miles. The car came with a 'warranty' covering major engine components. I enjoyed the car for just two weeks, before it developed what is almost certainly big end bearing failure. Needless to say, I'm mechanically minded and care for cars meticulously, so its oil was correctly topped up etc. It had a great service history, so this is pretty unlucky. I contacted the garage and, after a lot of moaning, they eventually brought round an old banger for me to get around in a towed the Zed away to be fixed.

What has followed is two months of lies about what they said they would do, including rebuilding the engine and replacing it; every week I'd phone and each time I'd be given some story about what they'd done. This has culminated in them sending two men around unannounced, dropping the unfixed Zed at my place, untouched, as broken as it was before (although obviously now filthy and with a flat battery etc). They couldn't even get the car off the trailer and scraped its underside trying to get it off. They were intimidating and continually lied about the car, claiming to know nothing, despite being the same person who had been explaining they'd fit a new engine two weeks before. They took their old banger and left, leaving me stuck in a village with no transport to work early the next day. It is clear, looking at the car, that nothing has ever been done to it; not a single bolt has been loosened. They've been stringing me along and lying for over two months. The crowning glory was the faked 'report' they handed me, which they've made, from a garage that doesn't exist. It says, in very poor English, that I've trashed the car and it's my fault.

The only thing that might help me is that I paid for £4000 of it on a credit card. Maybe I can enlist the help of HSBC to claw back the price of the repairs?

So, there are two areas I'd love some sound advice on:

1. Who can actually help me to tackle rogue traders like these and get them to pay for the repairs?

2. Who is best placed to rebuild or replace my engine, and for how much?

All thoughts really appreciated.

Very simple, although you will have initial cost to make the most of your case.

First, send them a letter by recorded delivery outlining your case, as you've done above. Keep it factual and to the point, as you'll be using it in court. Detail the purchase, when you noticed symptoms, when you told them, and what they then did. Tell them you expect them to collect the car within 48hrs and repairs to be completed within 14 days. Both of these are *reasonable*, which is important.

Next, when the 48hrs are up and they've done nothing, ring them to confirm they have no intention of doing anything, then write them another recorded letter stating that you are going to get another garage to confirm what is wrong, and will be pursuing them for any loss. Make sure they've received this, then do exactly that: Get the car recovered to another garage, and get them to do a report on EXACTLY what is wrong. This will cost you, sadly.

At this point, you confirm all this to the original garage via recorded letter, and that you will be rejecting the car. And yes, you will likely have to do that I'm afraid. Once they confirm they're not going to do a damn thing, you start the process via Moneyclaim Online. You supply copies of the letters, what you are claiming for (initial car cost plus the garage report) and you MUST get the car dropped off at their place. Video everything if you must, but confirm they have the car and the keys! At this point, let everything play out.

Yes, I would also contact your credit card company and let them know you'll be looking to reject the vehicle, and tbh you might be able to win by just dropping the car off in the first place then pursuing it. However, I'd rather get as much evidence against them as possible, don't give the courts any reason to rule against you.

• Like 11

Such a sad story ... the guys that know about these things will be along shortly ... ZmanAlex will help with replacement engine ... Ken might be able to give you the history on the car ... I guess the fact that the garage haven't performed is a legal matter and should be referred to a solicitor (or maybe Watchdog)

... hope you get sorted on this

Sorry to hear about your predicament.Not wanting to be too much of a pessimist Dan, but if they are prepared to doctor up engineers reports and lie continuously for 2 months, just because you spend loads of money on court action and win doesn't mean you are any nearer to getting a single penny back. If it was from a larger company then maybe. What is to stop this trader folding to avoid paying? I would focus my attention on getting the car repaired properly and cost effectively. Only my opinion, others might advise differently.

Hope you get it sorted either way.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for all the replies so far.

Justthejedi - it's an independent place, quite big and has everything from cheap cars, right up to Ferraris. With hindsight, I didn't feel great about the place or the people at the time. I'm not sure about trading standards, the local council don't even seem to have it any more on their website!

Nowhereboy - I'm not sure if I should name them on here yet if it could end up getting legal? But it's a mile off the A1 in Beds and it's quite big.

Ekona - thanks ever so much for taking the time to write all that. It does look a credible way to try and not be out of pocket, but the flaw in the plabn is that I lose the car! I'm also reluctant to put in on a truck for the third time and take it back. They'll probably just bring it here again! But I'm going to have a good think about what you've said.

Attak Z - Thanks. Much love for the Vulcan too.

davey_83 - The 'warranty' is just a box on the sales invoice, supposedly underwritten by themselves, rather than an actual package from somewhere reputable.

leonk - I definitely want the car and want to fix it. But still, feel pretty short changed!

Unfortunately, you can't force them to fix it, and given their attitude I don't think you're going to end up with the car. However, the threat of a court case might just force their hand, so either way you've nothing to lose by starting the procedure. :) Don't even worry about the warranty, that's not what you're relying on at this point. Even if they do drop the car off, don't accept the keys, or simply take the keys back and keep it all on video.

Good luck man, if you want help with the letters or anything shoot me a PM.

• Like 3

Very simple, although you will have initial cost to make the most of your case.

First, send them a letter by recorded delivery outlining your case, as you've done above. Keep it factual and to the point, as you'll be using it in court. Detail the purchase, when you noticed symptoms, when you told them, and what they then did. Tell them you expect them to collect the car within 48hrs and repairs to be completed within 14 days. Both of these are *reasonable*, which is important.

Next, when the 48hrs are up and they've done nothing, ring them to confirm they have no intention of doing anything, then write them another recorded letter stating that you are going to get another garage to confirm what is wrong, and will be pursuing them for any loss. Make sure they've received this, then do exactly that: Get the car recovered to another garage, and get them to do a report on EXACTLY what is wrong. This will cost you, sadly.

At this point, you confirm all this to the original garage via recorded letter, and that you will be rejecting the car. And yes, you will likely have to do that I'm afraid. Once they confirm they're not going to do a damn thing, you start the process via Moneyclaim Online. You supply copies of the letters, what you are claiming for (initial car cost plus the garage report) and you MUST get the car dropped off at their place. Video everything if you must, but confirm they have the car and the keys! At this point, let everything play out.

Yes, I would also contact your credit card company and let them know you'll be looking to reject the vehicle, and tbh you might be able to win by just dropping the car off in the first place then pursuing it. However, I'd rather get as much evidence against them as possible, don't give the courts any reason to rule against you.

Very much this.

And the fact you paid on Credit Card is beautiful. It's like paying with cash on an elastic band :D

You have to reject the car though. Not doing so would make a simple case more complicated.

Everything Ekona says is based on the Sale of Goods Act and Consumer protection.

There's plenty more Zeds out there.

Edited by Juggalo

Ekona has pretty much summed up what I would have suggested, you won't get anywhere without ticking thoes boxes first.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/your-rights-if-something-is-wrong-with-your-car

Edit:

Gutted for you though mate, I know the feeling but on a smaller scale.

Edited by Oggieteepo

Very sad story and I've actually been in a similar situation myself in the past.

The situation that I found myself in was quite some years ago now when I purchased a my96 JDM Impreza from a small trader. The engine went a few weeks after I had bought it (big end failure due to oil starvation after the oil pump failed) and after doing a very similar thing to what Ekona (Dan) has suggested, with all things said & done I ended up getting a measly £500 from the trader towards what ended up being a £4.5K rebuild.

In hindsight although I loved the car (just like you seem to with the Zed) and didn't want to let it go the best thing I could have done was outright reject the car and get as much as, if not a full refund from the trader.

That car cost me literally thousands & thousands and even after the rebuild things went wrong again & again including the engine which went some 12K miles/2 years later (this time due to a thrown conrod which went through the block). :angry:

Imo I'd try to get the garage to accept liability for the car and if you can return the car to them in its current state asap. Then using the money you get back try to find another Zed you can love just as much. :thumbs:

Totally agree with Ekona, this is your only sensible action.

I would immediately phone your credit card company, they will send out some forms to start a claim through them, they are equally liable (always seems unfair on them but that's the rule) despite you only paying some of the money on card you can claim the full amount, it is then their responsibility to re coupe the money from the trader, this is a slow process but I can assure you it does works.

Remember, there are plenty of Z's out there.

Great advice already on here and very sad to hear. I would consult a solicitor immediately and get them to begin proceedings for me personally.

Once resolved, please return and name and shame to help others avoid dealing with these folks in future.

Thanks for the posts guys.

GMBallistic - that sounds a nightmare! Thing is, about returning it to them, I just don't trust them at all. They'll probably do something even worse!

davedutch - cheers, I'm going to look into the credit card size of things.

Still pretty interested to know what a rebuild would cost?

Its awful the way they have treated you. I can understand you still being very fond of the car and still wanting to keep it though as i have experienced similar myself a while back. The way they have treated you though is so rude that if it was me i wouldnt really want them to do any repairs as they probably wouldnt be bothered to do it that well .. Maybe im an easy soft touch but i would be happier to pay and know a decent person has sorted the repairs to a high standard. The garage you bought from will lose out in the long run as you wont buy anything else and people you know name and shame them. I would go to the extreme of going to there sales forecourt and tell potential customers how you have been treated by them