Rugby World Cup 2015

HaydnH

Blimey, I was in there when England played Wales with Alfie so he could go on the rides (what a con, £3 a go!) we left at 5pm and it was already massively busy apparently they closed it just after we left, but 2pm is ridiculous.

Anyway, there is another England game on Friday, with an exciting young team delivering, not just promising the goods with a 100% qualifying record the only team in Euro qualifying to have that, who have also scored more goals in qualifying than any other team ;)

I actually thought that England did quite well against a very well structured and planned Aussie game. The Aussies have always been able to "rise" to these sorts of occasions. The running from the Aussie backs was just brilliant to see and the way middle row of the forwards worked together was brilliant to watch.

Now I really need Wales to beat Australia so that they can top the pool, otherwise my household will be torn! I support Wales 1st and SA 2nd, missus supports SA 1st and Wales 2nd :(

Was brilliant to see SA show some proper form against Scotland (was in Newcastle for that game)!! They completely dominated the 1st half, shame they lacked the finishing to finish the game off properly, but lots of changes means that they are still somewhat disjointed...... hopefully things improve over the next few weeks.

Yep, best team, and the team that wanted it more won, at least we werent robbed.

The first 10 minutes were very positive, England playing out of the backs rather than trying to grind a result out and looking much better for it ......... and then slowly they started playing like boring, predictable England again and the Aussies are too good to fall for that, by 20 minutes the writing was on the wall for me :(

I think youve got to look at the coaching staff, as Ive heard a few places we looked like the England football team - uninterested and not hungry enough - and thats unforgiveable when youve got that much talent on the pitch. Sad, but by betting against England Ive won about £180 this tournament, every cloud and all that ;)

To a point, yes, look at coaches, but I think Lancaster has actually done a pretty good job. He has built up a solid team and there is a lot of young players that will get better over the next few years and most will have at least another 2 RWCs in them.

Looking at the backline, I think the starting line up needs work. Farrell was not the right choice. Ford seems to control and call plays for the backline better. I also think more focus needs to be put on 9/10 being game makers and not so much kicking, they should be controlling the game.

I also think most northern hemisphere teams need to learn to adapt better. They go in with a certain plan and if that doesnt work, they struggle... Wales V Ireland is a key example and England struggled with the same thing, not adapting.... especially in the scrums. The Aussie scrum was well planned and England kept allowing them to do it.

Yeah, but look at recent results and we (Eng, Ire, Wal) have had the measure of the Southern Hemisphere sides in the last few meetings, we just didnt bring it to this particular party. I like Farrell at number 10, I totally agree that Flood is the more creative player but Farrell is better in and around the breakdown for me, and obviously his kicking is superb, for me the centres and wingers need to be doing more to mix things up a bit.

I think you misunderstood me on the coaching thing, no doubt youve watched the Japanese games ......... I dont think anyone would argue they have more talent than us, but their ball moving, discipline and just their hunger make us look rubbish, and that shouldnt be the case when we are apparently in the running to win the tournament.

• Like 1

Yeah, but look at recent results and we (Eng, Ire, Wal) have had the measure of the Southern Hemisphere sides in the last few meetings, we just didnt bring it to this particular party. I like Farrell at number 10, I totally agree that Flood is the more creative player but Farrell is better in and around the breakdown for me, and obviously his kicking is superb, for me the centres and wingers need to be doing more to mix things up a bit.

I think you misunderstood me on the coaching thing, no doubt youve watched the Japanese games ......... I dont think anyone would argue they have more talent than us, but their ball moving, discipline and just their hunger make us look rubbish, and that shouldnt be the case when we are apparently in the running to win the tournament.

Southern hemisphere normally have an additional gear for these sorts of events

Sorry, I may have added in from what I saw in the papers earlier. Completely agree, Japan no where near as good, but they seem to want it a lot more. They still get excited about the game.... they had another good win over Samoa on the weekend as well :)

English centres are a relatively new pairing, plus a couple of injuries. Ford V Farrell will be an interesting debate both are good, but both need some work. Being from southern hemisphere I think too much emphasis is placed on the kicking, yes its important, but there needs to be more to 10. For example, I think Halfpenny has become too much of a kicker and lost a lot of his game.

To a point, yes, look at coaches, but I think Lancaster has actually done a pretty good job. He has built up a solid team and there is a lot of young players that will get better over the next few years and most will have at least another 2 RWCs in them.

Looking at the backline, I think the starting line up needs work. Farrell was not the right choice. Ford seems to control and call plays for the backline better. I also think more focus needs to be put on 9/10 being game makers and not so much kicking, they should be controlling the game.

I also think most northern hemisphere teams need to learn to adapt better. They go in with a certain plan and if that doesnt work, they struggle... Wales V Ireland is a key example and England struggled with the same thing, not adapting.... especially in the scrums. The Aussie scrum was well planned and England kept allowing them to do it.

Your second point regarding Farrell is exactly the reason Lancaster has NOT done a good job. He built a team around George Ford and then bottled it to play Farrell and Burgess. Burgess has never been, neither ever will he be a world class centre, he may even only ever be a reasonable Union back row player. It had disaster written all over Lancaster's team selction policy when he omitted Luther Burrell and others from the squad. I believe there are players in the England sqaud who have openely said they won'y publicise their thoughts regarding the failings. It all looks like a complete shambles to me and something is very wrong within the whole structure as far as I can tell, there are 31 player in the squad and individually most of them are very good players, in this sqaud they have almost all become medicore together.
  • Like 1

Your second point regarding Farrell is exactly the reason Lancaster has NOT done a good job. He built a team around George Ford and then bottled it to play Farrell and Burgess. Burgess has never been, neither ever will he be a world class centre, he may even only ever be a reasonable Union back row player. It had disaster written all over Lancaster's team selction policy when he omitted Luther Burrell and others from the squad. I believe there are players in the England sqaud who have openely said they won'y publicise their thoughts regarding the failings. It all looks like a complete shambles to me and something is very wrong within the whole structure as far as I can tell, there are 31 player in the squad and individually most of them are very good players, in this sqaud they have almost all become medicore together.

good points RE selection and I cant help but agree. Must admit the Burgess selection was a bit weird.... considering how little experience he has. But rugby isnt about great individuals, its about great teams. So many have proven this (this RWC alone) SA, Wales, etc all have brilliant players on paper, but seem to lose something at top level competition - it the nature of the game :)

• Like 1

I agree that rugby is a team game but it's great individuals that can Change a game. World class players can almost win a game single handedly. Or lead and inspire their team to win when things aren't going thier. Havnt seen that in any of the player's this world cup unlike previous one's. Imo I think you need 4 or 5 of these types of players. Apparently May was one of these players according to one commentator I heard>_>

I also don't think the overseas selection policy helps the England team. Why punish your best players for wanting to better thier game/career by moving to the best leagues and clubs in the world.

I.e. Strettle, armitidge and tuilagi soon. Nick abendanon was named european player of the year but not selected!

All of the southern hemisphere countries relaxed their policies and look where they are.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

I may have a set of tickets for the above game on Saturday available for sale.

Sat 17th Oct

20:00

QF2

New Zealand vs France

Cat C

£125 each face value... so ideally £250 for the set.

Only selling as someone may have Wales V SA tickets for me :D

I may have a set of tickets for the above game on Saturday available for sale.

Sat 17th Oct

20:00

QF2

New Zealand vs France

Cat C

£125 each face value... so ideally £250 for the set.

Only selling as someone may have Wales V SA tickets for me :D

Surely not worth face value if recorded Cat C...boom boom

• Like 1

I have 2 spare tickets to the Oz v Scotland QF on Sunday @ Twickers if anyone wants them? I'm going to the Wales v SA QF and don't think I'd still have a girlfriend if I went to both matches! They're category B, lower tier row 33 or 34, face value £215 each but I'm open to offers.... anyone?

Edited by HaydnH

strange that it didn't go to TMO

Strange the ref legged it off the pitch without shaking any hands either - I stood to make £70 from a tenner on that one, Id like to hear what he has to say. Likewise with Wales, that cost me £40, damn late tries.

I nearly turned £2 into £80 on France though (bet NZ would win by 50+ at 40/1) but had them winning by 40-50 at 16/1 as well, and managed to win a few bob on Argentina, despite betting in play and forgetting Id paused the match so was 25 minutes behind, I wondered why the odds were so good :lol: