Living with fibreglass front bumpers/sideskirts

Tomb

So how is it?

I've been looking at getting a nismo v2 rep from EPRacing but haven't bit the bullet yet as I've previously read that the fibreglass bumpers crack and chip paint left right and centre and anyone who owns one is constantly in the paint shop.

Are these people just terrible drivers and hit everything in sight causing them to crack and chip or is it really this bad even if you are a careful driver?

Please insert you opinion below.

Tom ðŸ‘ðŸ½

I think a lot depends on the ride height. Mine is silly low and I've scraped it in a few places. Not a speed bump yet (those have been fine), but the dip exiting a petrol station has got me, as has a low kerb in a parking bay. I think that sort of scraping is where the stress cracks at the side come from. I've seen pics of a silver zed with the same stress cracks and the owner said he'd given up getting those patched up.

I get the feeling when I get her raised back to stock I'll not be grinding out any more. I don't know how low she is at the moment either, low enough to really screw the camber up but I probably won't get a number to that until I get the shorter springs taken off next pay cheque.

I'd be happier with a plastic bumper, but on a quick search I could on'y find fibre glass replicas of the Nismo bumpers.

Had my Nismo V1 fibreglass front end for 10years and no cracks.

Even with stock suspension I have had some minor scrapes on the underside of the front where not visable.

This is usually driving onto raised driveways where the road dips into the curbside and the drive is then on an incline ie double whammy.

Never scraped a speedbump.

I do avoid many a multistorey car park though :lol:

Yeah I'm used to driving low cars coming from a VW background but I've always had relatively cheap plastic splitters that I can replace.

Does anyone know if getting the bumper clear bra'd helps at all? I'm thinking it maybe help reduce the cracks and chipping potential.

But as always I could be horribly wrong.

Fiberglass does come in different weights, but its pretty much the same product, its brittle by nature, so will crack, not flex.

If your talking a clear wrap it will protect against stone chips, but wont stop cracks or stress fractures.

P.s Ep racing does not have the best reputation, best try one of the traders on here, your far more likely to get a better response if you fitment issues, Tarmac sportz are well regarded.

Edited by Jetpilot

• 2 weeks later...

I've just taken off my N-spec fibre-glass front bumper due to stress damage. It's the second time it's happened and it just pisses me off. So it's gotta go. I've now got a standard front bumper so I have peace of mind for once.

i ve done pretty much the same but must be a little lower as i have stress crack in the standard bumper already :blush:

go with duraflex if your concerned with cracking. Its abs plastic with some GRP thrown in and is a bit more forgiving. Grp is fine and will last as long as you a. dont knock it and b. prep it properly when painting.

have you seen any plastic based nismo replicas?

http://www.duraflexbodykits.com/2003-2008-nissan-350z-urethane-front-bumper-cover-piece-extreme-dimensions-108729-p-556818.html

• Like 1

go with duraflex if your concerned with cracking. Its abs plastic with some GRP thrown in and is a bit more forgiving. Grp is fine and will last as long as you a. dont knock it and b. prep it properly when painting.

have you seen any plastic based nismo replicas?

http://www.duraflexb...9-p-556818.html

Thanks, did some digging and I love the vid of them twisting a bumper. I guess that isn't any real indication of how it will handle a sharp impact, but seeing as I'm mostly concerned about grounding out at low speed I think duraflex will be just fine for my piece of mind :)

I've sent them a message asking about UK delivery costs and typical import taxes. I also asked about how you'd mount the headlight washers. For fitment issues I'd have a chat with RT when I manage to get the spare cash to see them. It's then gonna be a toss up between RT fixing the old or getting a new one in and RT mounting that, or what ever they advise really. No rush at the moment as it's gonna be a while before I have the cash spare for cosmetics, still working through my list of worn out parts on my 100K zed. I do want to know how much it's gonna cost though so I have something to aim for.

I might be just fine with regular fibreglass when my front end gets lifted back up to stock, but even then I'd still probably be looking at stress cracks on each side over the years. Would just be nice not to have that issue.