DIY Vinyl Wrap

KosmiK

Welcome along to my latest (and stupidest to date) mod. I've decided to Vinyl Wrap my car this weekend since I've kinda ran out of anything else to do. So after weeks of research, cleaning and whatnot, I'm nearly ready to begin.

Badges, Side Steps, Skirts and Spoiler are off, and the A Pillars, Door Handles Bumpers, Lights etc will be coming out after a final wash tonight. Then I've got 3 days to get whatever I can done.

Here's a before pic of the car

IMAG0032_1_zpszdefyxyj.jpg

And here's my progress so far

IMG-20150827-WA0000_zpsuffxalod.jpeg

IMG-20150827-WA0002_zpsjprhej6y.jpeg

The spoiler was an absolute nightmare, but I'm pleased with the results so far. Though keen eyed viewers will spot the grey bit on the sideskirt. I blame my brothers dodgy cutting of the vinyl.

More updates to follow.

• Like 1

Thanks.

Today didn't go so great; no screwdriver short enough to get the front bumper off, no Allen key to get the lights out even if I did get it off, stubborn screws means one A pillar is still on, one bolt lost inside the passenger side door and no torx screwdriver for the drivers side handle. Hopefully tomorrow goes better, more pics in the afternoon if it does.

Right, what a bastard of a day. It started badly and ended worse. Thankfully in the middle I did get some wrapping done.

First off I absolutely do not recommend trying to wrap your car alone, unless you have at least 3 arms.

So, started with the door, struggled with it alone, but finally got it finished. Then ruined it with the final cut.

IMG-20150829-WA0000_zpslb5qyv1x.jpeg

Thankfully my brother turned up, and we got both rear panels, one A pillar and the bonnet done. So here's how it looks now.

IMAG0072_zpsffatpl00.jpg

Then as I was post heating all the edges I managed to do this. Heat guns are hot.IMAG0073_zps9gpn7ktq.jpg

Tomorrow I need to finally get the front bumper off, then wrap at least the 2 wings, 2 doors and boot. I also need to figure out what I'm going to do with the handles and wing mirrors, because they'll look rubbish grey/silver.

Edited by KosmiK

Gonna give it a try too next week. I'll post some pics. Well done mate looks good. How did the bumpers go. I reckoned that if I can do my amuse front one without issues the other pars of the car should be a doddle. Kepp us updated

OK, so a more successful day today. And no more burns which is always a bonus.

Started with finally getting the front bumper off, which meant we could do the wings. So got them done, the drivers door, and peeled and rewrapped the passenger door. Then the boot, which was the worst one panel yet, mainly because of the length of all the edges to sort out, plus it was almost the size of the roll of wrap so not much room for error.

IMAG0075_zpshbgadenf.jpg

IMAG0076_zpsewxgwjv5.jpg

IMAG0077_zps5sqhpbas.jpg

IMAG0078_zpsnwzw3vmt.jpg

Bumpers, an A Pillar and if we get time the other side skirt tomorrow.

• Like 2

Right, day 3 is over and it was horrible. Honestly, the bumpers have turned out pretty pants and I almost wish I hadnt bothered. It's fine from a distance, but up close it looks a real bodge job. After three 10 hour days we'd just had enough, and I needed the car back together for work tomorrow.

Anyways here's the final result.

IMAG0081_zpscfgdymkv.jpg

IMAG0079_zpsz23t0rik.jpg

IMAG0080_zpsc1dcclc4.jpg

If you're going to wrap your own car, which honestly I'd probably advise against, make sure you have help, and get two of everything. Sharing one heat gun and squeegee slows you down. I only had one as I naively thought I could do it solo.

Still have one side skirt, the mirrors and maybe the door handles left.

Vinyl was £305 for a 20m roll from Hexis, but its the cheapest colour so keep that in mind.

• Like 1