Another Cyclists Rant !

ianphampton

Pedestrians are a pain, you never know what they are going to do....Looking at the video the guy was just taking his chances through a gap in the traffic but clearly either didn't see or expect the cyclist to be there. Though you cannot actually see what the pelican crossing is displaying.

Personally I don't shout or wave at anyone these days, if people are stupid enough to cross the road without looking than natural selection at some point will do its work....

The other day I had a x2 mother+pram appear from two parked cars straight into the road - Both parents were too busy chatting away to even look at what was coming down the road, I swerved to miss them - going too quickly to stop, lucky the car driver coming the other way wasn't asleep and slammed his brakes on, otherwise I might have ended up going over his bonnet - Though there was probably enough space for me to squeeze past. I penned it down as 'near miss', but the car driver went mental at the two women, he was shouting, waving his arms around around etc...all bit un-necessary I thought.

Crossing the road really isn't that hard...Is it :lol:

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by gangzoom

Stop look listen get hit by an EV

I haven't knowing hit anything or one yet.....It hard catch anyone unawares when the 0-60 is close to 10 seconds :lol:

Got a test drive booked in a few weeks in something a bit quicker though B)

Edited by gangzoom

Here's one for the Highway Code lovers.

http://gu.com/p/4bny...re_iOSApp_Other

Police seek man who pushed cyclist into path of London traffic

A male pedestrian who was filmed pushing a female cyclist into the path of London traffic is being sought by police.

The woman, who was wearing a helmet camera that filmed the incident, asked the man not to cross the road until she had cycled past. He is heard shouting and swearing at the cyclist, who is in her early 40s, as he chased her down Sidney Street in Whitechapel, east London.

As she slowed down near a junction, the man, who is believed to be in his 40s and was wearing dark clothing, approached the cyclist, called her a “mug†and shoved her to the ground. She let out a cry and sounded distressed and injured.

The woman, who was upset by the assault but did not need medical treatment, moved herself and her bike to safety. She contacted police and handed over footage of the incident, which occurred on 1 May. The Met has released the video to help find the man.

Anyone who can identify the man is asked to contact police on 101, quoting images 180410 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111

OBVIOUSLY, shoving people into traffic is not acceptable. DQ - can a cyclist suggest a pedestrian shouldn't cross the road as they barreling through on a PB?

Yes hard to tell if the lights were red, the guy clearly saw her coming as he was looking directly at her and made no shock movements as if surprised. Could well have jumped the lights.

That said, the reaction was well over the top!

There are some T**** on the road!!!

Cycled into town today to pick up a few things and it seemed like theres all the people who cannot drive properly decided to come out to play...

1: Stupid MPV decides to turn left without indicating at 20 mph, nearly take me out and causes the car behind to do an emergency stop.

2: Another stupid MPV decided to turn right across traffic, but decided I don't exist and than dawdles in the middle of the road - Left a little skid mark with the my rear tyre, at one point I thought I was going to end up sliding underneath Mission impossible style B)

3: A Jag XF decides to try and overtake me but realise at the last minute I'm going quicker than the traffic ahead - Instead of slowing down he or she decides to speed up ends up been about 1 meter from my rear wheel, I'm not sure what they wanted me to do, maybe they wanted to try and run me over, but some slower traffic ahead force he/she to slow down whilst I overtake the traffic.

4: A 911 (no idea what kind they all look the same to me) decides the local residential roads is his own private race track and proceeded to just chaos for everyone else.

I also saw about 6 other cyclist on the payment, none on the roads....Maybe they are the clever ones, they might be nuisance to pedestrians but at least none of them had to put with idiots driving around on the road today. :surrender:

Yes, there are some T**** on the road. It a shame as so many are careful.

I'm getting out on the bike quite frequently at the moment, while there is no rain so I am probably seeing a few more idiots than normal. My worst experiences from this week were an Audi and BMW going past on a 50 limit road, doing at least 70, no cars on the other side of the road, but they appeared to enjoy flying past only inches to my right. Both incidents were at about 7pm so I assume they were in a rush to get home.

Also, a couple of occasions I have been overtaken for the car only for it to turn left some metres ahead so that I have to slam on the brakes. There was absolutely no point in overtaking me...

On the flip side I have seen a cycling club out that were at least 2 side by side and about 15 members in the bunch. It does make overtaking for cars very difficult. I think they should split the group to make it easier.

I hate BMW drivers as much as anyone, but I wouldn't call them out over indicators because women in any car are the worst at it, they seem incapable of acknowledging anyone else on the road and showing courtesy towards them.

I sort of agree with this. Women spend so much time 'multitasking' that they don't give full attention to any one thing, especially driving. They're not bothered about their cars, it's just a mode of transport.

They get in and somehow end up where they need to be. And along the way it's a good opportunity to txt mates, put makeup on, update facebook and take a few driving selfies while blasting through junctions or not indicating. Ever.

The road is there for them. They don't need to thank you for courtesy. You're just an object on the road.

I hate BMW drivers as much as anyone, but I wouldn't call them out over indicators because women in any car are the worst at it, they seem incapable of acknowledging anyone else on the road and showing courtesy towards them.

I sort of agree with this. Women spend so much time 'multitasking' that they don't give full attention to any one thing, especially driving. They're not bothered about their cars, it's just a mode of transport.

They get in and somehow end up where they need to be. And along the way it's a good opportunity to txt mates, put makeup on, update facebook and take a few driving selfies while blasting through junctions or not indicating. Ever.

The road is there for them. They don't need to thank you for courtesy. You're just an object on the road.

The courtesy thing pisses me off. I live in a housing estate with many many cars parked on the road, so almost every day I encounter an on coming car I have to stop to let past. 90% of men give me a wave "thanks" and carry on, only about 10% of women do and then give me a glaring look because I acknowledged them.

I mean, what the actual ****?

Edited by KyleR

^^ this is the same as holding doors open

if i hold it open, barely get an aknowledgement

if I let it slam in their face.......... I get an ackowledgement then :lol:

but do they ever hold it open for me as I'm coming up behind ..........too right they don't and even after opeing the door after it hit me and coming through after them and shouting "thanks for holding the door" ....... well, that can go either way :blush::lol:

The courtesy thing pisses me off. I live in a housing estate with many many cars parked on the road, so almost every day I encounter an on coming car I have to stop to let past. 90% of men give me a wave "thanks" and carry on, only about 10% of women do and then give me a glaring look because I acknowledged them.

I mean, what the actual ****?

I think when inside their car, women shut off from the outside world and carry on with 146,000,000 thoughts they have a second about every conceivable thing. When you step onto their bubble or bring them out of theirs by making some form of contact, they don't like it.

A lot of women also think "Why's this weirdo eyeing me up".

I remember one time some girls were dressed like they were on the way to a night out, coming up some two way stairs with a rail in the middle that I was going down. Was kind of icy so I said "be careful ladies it's icy".

Just got giggled and laughed at.

• Like 1

Driving along today, nice open road and I find myself stuck in a queue behind about 15 cars all doing 20mph in a 60mph zone. After a bit I realise what the hold up is. This is a 60mph road, 1 lane each way. With a 2.5m wide dedicated cycle path at the side. The cycle path is completely empty and yet the hold up is a wannabe Bradley Wiggans peddling away in the middle of the road. I can see why some motorists would feel the need to pull over and ask him what it was playing at and risk a torrent of abuse from the cyclist. I didnt see if he had a helmet cam on, but maybe he was deliberately doing this in hope of a confrontation. Why else would a cyclists ignore a dedicated cycle lane and use the road.

Really makes me quite angry, as at the moment, my commute into work is faced with dozens of holdups and road works as the local council are putting in place another dedicated cycle lane at a cost of something like £100k for a 2 mile stretch, so cyclists can "feel safer" on their way into work. Once the lane is finished it means bus`s will have nowhere to pull over, which means cars will be forced to stop/start behind every bus over the 2 mile stretch. But it allows cyclists a smooth flow into the city centre. Thousands of cars use the stretch of road every day, but only a handful of cyclists and yet the council has still decided to go ahead. I do wonder whats the point of 12 months of mental hold ups and queues and problems if once the £100k cycle lane is built, cyclists will just refuse to use it, preferring the road? I guess the council will be seen as being "green" even though with all that stop/start traffic and newly created congestion the opposite may be true.

Why do we need to feel the need to vent about inconsiderate cyclists when we also know there are loads more inconsiderate drivers?

Quite simple really - as drivers of motorized transport we get stung left right and centre in our pockets to 'enjoy', or even be required to use our mode of getting around whereas cyclists pay zilch and yet millions is spent on accommodating them (no guesses as to where most of that money comes from :dry: ). And when there are accidents between the two we all know where the finger of blame is pointed irrespective of who may have been at fault - the party who is required to carry insurance by law........

Rabbitstews example above is something I have come across several times where they simply ignore whatever is behind them, and just shows how one idiot behaves on his bike effectively putting two fingers up his back to those following. :angry:

And breathe......

• Like 1