Time to try a different tyre?

AMT

Ok, still got a bit left but this time its all four tyres that will need done. Theres been countless threads about stuff and variations so I'm not sure what version as there's different numbers etc... anyway the question. I currently always get the Falken FK453's, quite comfy with them I know what to expect and how to handle them...smashin'. However I've been looking at the costs and for similar I can get the Michelin Pilot Sports (not 2 or 3..just ..normal pilot sports), everyone seems to recommend them highly but will I actually notice any particular difference? I do 'use' the car but it doesn't get tracked or that, so will I feel a good difference between them?

Cheers much (I'm guessin Ekona may jump in here lol)

Edited by AMT

Exactly which Michelin Pilot sports do you mean? Cos there is:

Michelin Pilot sports, replaced by

Michelin Pilot sport 2s, replaced by

Michelin Pilot Super Sports (or MPSS, these are the ones everyone raves about)

theres also Michelin Pilot sport 3s, but these are more for economy than performance.

if you genuinely mean the original Michelin Pilot Sport, that's a design that will be several years old now, would worry when then tyre was actually made, and whether its turned to plastic by now!

have been using Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's and have to say I really rate them... ok not as good as the MPSS but in real world day to day driving I am not sure the MPSS are worth the extra money

in the real world of day to day driving are the goodyears worth more than a set of falkens

Avon ZZ5s 'cos you get lots of little 'Z's around the edge of the tyre B)

(and we all know that bling is the most important factor in choosing a tyre (though joking aside I have them and like them)avon-zz51.jpg

Edited by thedon
  • Like 4

Those Avon tyres look quite similar to the MPSS. I had Avon Z33?? on my Zed when I purchased it and I acutally found them to be a good tyre but I haven't tried the ZZ5's.

I had ZZ3s too but got a cut in a rear and couldn't buy another for love nor money (or at least not in 245 width), so I had to get a set of ZZ5s. Good grip and progressive, although I've not pushed them anywhere near their limit

do they?

Yes, they look similar to me, I'm not saying the same or identical. Both have rounded edges, both have deep grooves running radially and both have a similar number of grooves running axially.

They are both black, round and made of rubber, so it that respect they are very similar! ;)

Yeah its the MPSS, I just wanted some experience views, perhaps someone whos went from the Falkens to the MPSS's. Do they last a bit longer, do they have..noticeable.. grip. I like to take it round nice roads so it does get used properly so thought I'd ask. The Falkens to be honest have done me great, so if I was spending a bit more I'd just like a bit of knowledge on the difference. I'll possibly check them out, still got a tiny bit left on the rears and some on the front to wear out yet lol.

http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/falken/azenis-fk-453/245/45/R18/Y/100/m?returnurl=%2forder%2ftyres%3f%26width%3d245%26profile%3d45%26rim%3d18%26speed%3dAny%26wintertyre%3dwintertyre%26minpricerange%3d0%26maxpricerange%3d0%26viewmanufacturer%3dfalken%26displayall%3d6&tyre=31732112

http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/michelin/pilot-super-sport/245/45/R18/Y/100/m?returnurl=%2forder%2ftyres%3f%26width%3d245%26profile%3d45%26rim%3d18%26speed%3dAny%26wintertyre%3dwintertyre%26minpricerange%3d0%26maxpricerange%3d0%26viewmanufacturer%3dmichelin%26displayall%3d6&tyre=27150821

Can't help much as I've never driven on Falken's but try Opeone.co.uk for better tyre prices. My front MPSS tyres are generally lasting around 30,000 miles and the rears are lasting around 15,000 which I think is pretty good going but this includes no track days.

MPSS are absolutely superb and compared to the OEM potenzas they are much quieter, better in the wet and offer more traction. They do not, however, last as long as the Bridgestones (I got 14k vs 18k for the latter).

MPSC2 are another step above but wear even fast and are best left for track / summer cars due to being a bit hairy in the wet.

OEM potenzas (40s) are not much cop but 50s are a marked improvement by all accounts.

My advice is buy for your budget and drive within the limits of the tyres. If you don't buy MPSS you won't be swerving all over the road crashing into ditches, if you drive within the limits of the tyres and the car.

Tyre leader and Opeone are both good sites for tyres.

I guess the MPSS are okay, if you like that sort of thing.

;)

MPSS will give you around 1.5x the mileage. That's reason enough alone to consider them, the fact they're also give immense feel in both wet and dry conditions can be seen as a bonus. They are the pinnacle of performance tyres right now.

• Like 2

I guess the MPSS are okay, if you like that sort of thing.

;)

MPSS will give you around 1.5x the mileage. That's reason enough alone to consider them, the fact they're also give immense feel in both wet and dry conditions can be seen as a bonus. They are the pinnacle of performance tyres right now.

1.5x over the Re050? I would contest that - no way you're getting 20k+ from MPSS.