350z vs Cayman S

checkers88

Its a good thing to have ex-350z owners commenting on threads like this - the 350z is now a very good priced entry into sports car ownership and is the first sports car for many an owner, you wouldnt get a very balanced view (and end up with a blinkered fan boy forum) on car comparison threads otherwise.

I loved my Zed, then I bought a VX220, R33 and now in a 4WD rally car :teeth: all have their benefits but importantly allow me and many other ex-owners to comment with context on the Zed

• Like 1

yeah ists all about value / money / performance / character .. thats why TVR are so popular - The Griff was introduced at £21k in 92 - just hearing one start up whithout seeing it, most enthusiasts would do anything to find the money - then seeing one....'omg!' - If you had it, you would probably happily have paid 50% more

i notice you left out reliability

I take it that was a dig at TVR - which kinda re-enforces my point........ 'value / money / performance / character' is really what it is all about, reliability is pushed out of the mind of those of us lusting for cars above our pay grade

When I became a TVR worshipper they did indeed have a reputation - that didnt stop me, it kinda added to the maverick lust / appeal - having said that, the Griff is the first clean slate design roadcar by the affable, laconic PW + crew - it re-wrote the rule book of alternative production sportscars :) Based on a thoroughly competition tried and tested chassis (incl by PW) and wrapped with a dream body design doodled on the back of one of his ciggy packs and then plonked on a Motor Show stand to gauge re-action (the first show model actually still had a production S chassis holding it up, but roadcars had Tuscan race series chassis) - it took off taking its place firmly in the history books = leagues ahead of what they had produced before, incl exemplary finish and quality materials. - The fact that it also turned out to be the first decently reliable car was icing on the cake and started to pull in customers from other Marques, making it a more mainstream sportscar option.

'value / money / performance / character' is what it is all about.....and if enough maverick customers are drawn in, with good management and heavy re-investment of profits, reliability is borne - It is an utter motoring tragedy that we have lost TVR, PW & crew - just what would have followed the Sagaris?! - PW had actually gone and put his own mini 'Batmobile' on the road

A Sagaris with LS7 engine takes some beating in my opinion (would most likely have become an option and is now being created, by enthusiastic Indis)

Not sure about the new 'TVR' guy, he has a lot to prove....and even more to do to back up his public claims

PW RIP...though, if theres a way he will no doubt be still be racing & doodling new designs, spilling his beer over Enzo's doodles ;)

I take it that was a dig at TVR - which kinda re-enforces my point........ 'value / money / performance / character' is really what it is all about, reliability is pushed out of the mind of those of us lusting for cars above our pay grade

Not Really when i wanna take my car out for trackday/competition what i want is reliability, a nice looking car is worth nothing sat in the pits with its bonnet up, when all your buddies are out in the japanese and german sports car having fun whilst your on the phone to the AA

Edited by StevoD

You need to take your 350z glasses off for a few seconds a day :lol:

The base price of base cars was £30k & just over £40k. Yes Porsche options are horrendous, but any worse that Birdpoo Sat Nav in the Zed for £2k, £2.5k for Nismo kit or £2k for Nismo wheels???.............easily a £36k car without trying.

Anyway, even if the 2007 base cars are £7k apart now, isn't that to be expected?

The Zed's main attractiveness has always been it's price/performance against more expensive cars. I actually bought my UY GT4 Zed for £36k ahead of a boxster or TT at the time, mainly because it was cheaper than the rest but almost as good; doesn't that still apply but just with different numbers now??

Look, the Cayman S is a car I'd like to own but let's get the facts right.

2006 Basic Cayman S List price £44,250, quite a bit over £40k I'd say

2007 350Z HR List price £30,318 including full GT pack, metallic paint £450 extra.

Depreciation on a basic Cayman S circa 28k and on an HR 21k.

Adding loads of factory options doesn't really make much difference to the resale value of a 9-10 year old car, should make it easier to sell though. Anyway, I was only really picking up on the point someone made that a Cayman S was worth 3 times more than a DE engined Zed, probably true if you look at a 2003 DE but comparing like to like, 2007 Cayman S against 2007 HR then the poster is clearly wrong.

Pete

(and end up with a blinkered fan boy forum)

Have you turned into SMD as the voice of reason and balance :teeth:

I would have thought the very nature of "350z.co.uk" was that is was going to be for fanboi's, as would be, fduk, sxoc, mx5nutz etc etc Surely if your going to wear rose coloured glasses about a 350z (rightly or wrongly) this is the place to do it? We all know a Porsche is a better car :surrender: and sure Porsche owners are being fanbois over on their forum :)

(and end up with a blinkered fan boy forum)

Have you turned into SMD as the voice of reason and balance :teeth:

I would have thought the very nature of "350z.co.uk" was that is was going to be for fanboi's, as would be, fduk, sxoc, mx5nutz etc etc Surely if your going to wear rose coloured glasses about a 350z (rightly or wrongly) this is the place to do it? We all know a Porsche is a better car :surrender: and sure Porsche owners are being fanbois over on their forum :)

Yeah but some of us have to keep the excitable masses under control ;)

The base price of base cars was £30k & just over £40k. Yes Porsche options are horrendous, but any worse that Birdpoo Sat Nav in the Zed for £2k, £2.5k for Nismo kit or £2k for Nismo wheels???.............easily a £36k car without trying.

Anyway, even if the 2007 base cars are £7k apart now, isn't that to be expected?

The Zed's main attractiveness has always been it's price/performance against more expensive cars. I actually bought my UY GT4 Zed for £36k ahead of a boxster or TT at the time, mainly because it was cheaper than the rest but almost as good; doesn't that still apply but just with different numbers now??

2007 350Z HR List price £30,318 including full GT pack, metallic paint £450 extra.

Adding loads of factory options doesn't really make much difference to the resale value of a 9-10 year old car, should make it easier to sell though. Anyway, I was only really picking up on the point someone made that a Cayman S was worth 3 times more than a DE engined Zed, probably true if you look at a 2003 DE but comparing like to like, 2007 Cayman S against 2007 HR then the poster is clearly wrong.

Pete

Yawn!

I must have dreamt paying £36k for my UY GT4..........

The Cayman S is a better car than the 350Z.............surely that's not a surprise to anyone??

If you have £16k to spend..............you'd buy a Cayman S.

If you have £9k to spend you'd buy a 350Z. I did the same when I bought my GT4 and didn't have an extra £10k for a Cayman S or similar

It's a simple as that.

The Zed is a great car!! I Loved both of my zeds and would buy another, BUT if the price was much higher I would never have bought one, and thats it's main plus point and always has been...

• Like 2

Pete

Yawn!

The Cayman S is a better car than the 350Z.............surely that's not a surprise to anyone??

If you have £9k to spend you'd buy a 350Z. I did the same when I bought my GT4 and didn't have an extra £10k for a Cayman S or similar

It's a simple as that.

The Zed is a great car!! I Loved both of my zeds and would buy another, BUT if the price was much higher I would never have bought one, and thats it's main plus point and always has been...

Personally not a fan of the older Caymans, however the new ones, like 2014/2015 with that weird spoiler/crease into the lights is nice :)

I bought a Z purely based on the fact it was the best performing car I can get for the money, and at £9k you get some damn good ones. The only competition would be an E46 M3 or a Cayman but as you say, cost an extra wad of cash :(

I already drive an E46 318i ( yes not the same in any way ) but I wanted something more special that people would notice more. The interior would be nearly identical, and let's be honest, a 20 year old can never afford to own, run, maintain and INSURE the damn thing. so I went with the Z.

The Porker is great for handling, and nice to say " I own a Porsche " but in day to day driving, I wouldn't get the same thrills out of it. It's a high revving, but high reward sort of car which would be great, but you'd want to floor it to get those higher rev/engine notes :( Comes with a high price too. Maintenance was my main concern, as Porsche is a premium brand, I thought parts would be the same. Also again, didn't have the extra cash to go get one.

I went with my Z cause I loved the "rawness" of it. The road noise is okay for short trips, whereas the Porker and M3 probably are great for long trips. The loud engine/exhaust notes, and the fact it slips and slides quite easily is all what I wanted. Like I said before, the Porsche was just "too good" if that makes sense? It does everything so well, and it ruins part of the experience, in my eye.

Plus the Z was cheap to run and maintain, relative to the others.

I'm sure owners of both cars love their decisions, and stand by them. If I had the Porsche, and money wasn't a concern ( hahaha good joke right? ) I would be happy as a Porker in @*!# ;)

But for your £16k price tag , I would genuinely rather have a 370z. I think again it's more special than the Porsche, but I haven't driven the Cayman so it's not fair to say.

The 370z I drove last Christmas was much more refined and plush than a 350z, so it would close the gap between it, and the Cayman, IMO.

Now take a shovel full of salt, and re read my terribly structured and written response.

English is not my forte.

I looked at a Cayman and a Boxster when deciding what to get and the issue I had with both was maintenance. I have no doubt that the Cayman is a better sports car, the question is whether it's better for your intended use. In this case, the 350Z fitted my intended use (daily driver) and the amount of money I was willing to invest so that's what I got and I don't regret it for a second.

But for your £16k price tag , I would genuinely rather have a 370z. I think again it's more special than the Porsche, but I haven't driven the Cayman so it's not fair to say.

I think Ive found the issue lads - some people havent driven a Cayman :lol:

Im sorry Mike, but I struggle to see how someone can write that much about a car without actually driving it, would I be right in saying you havent driven an E46 M3 as well?

Without getting into the value debate, look back over the whole thread, its pretty obvious who has driven/owned a Cayman and who hasnt, we are actually all agreeing here ............ 350Z's are great cars and cracking value, but they are not as dynamically good as a Cayman is.

• Like 1

Pete

Yawn!

It's a simple as that.

The basic list price of a GT4 was £29,500 back in 2005, got that from a couple of sources. I don't know your car, but if you had a Nismo Kit, a SatNav and a set of Nismo wheels factory fitted then I guess 36k is possible.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolongtermtests/67390/nissan_350z_gt4.html

If I had 16k to spend then I certainly wouldn't buy a 9 year old Porker with it, neither would I spend 9k on an HR for that matter, don't think I've ever bought a car more than 3 years old but that's just me. When I bought my Zed back in 2007 I had a very healthy budget of around £40k which would have stretched to a Cayman but not the S sadly, had the Cayman S been in my price range I'd have snapped it up. Still, with the money I saved I picked up a 2 year old HR for the wife lol.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

..I too in theory would be interested in the Cayman S because of all the rave reviews.....But, I am frightened off by the liner design issue and the fear that engine or transmission bills are likely to exceed twice the cost of the Z...imho

Though this was started as a Cayman v Z thread, perhaps we could re-title it as Z v alternatives and become less entrenched - owners in particular will always be very defensive of their chosen marque....a very human trait

Im sorry Mike, but I struggle to see how someone can write that much about a car without actually driving it, would I be right in saying you havent driven an E46 M3 as well?

On a tangent, have you driven many E46 M3s Doc? I've only ever driven two, and only one in anger, and as much as I thought they'd be a little dull and nowhere near as good as hyped, they were both incredibly good fun and the chassis is out of this world in terms of communication :wub:

On a tangent, have you driven many E46 M3s Doc? I've only ever driven two, and only one in anger, and as much as I thought they'd be a little dull and nowhere near as good as hyped, they were both incredibly good fun and the chassis is out of this world in terms of communication :wub:

2, a vert with DSG which I really didnt like much, it felt a bit skittish on the road and almost unpredictable, and a manual that I had a decent smash about of and really liked - it didnt feel that fast to me but as you say the chassis is something special. Ive actually driven more E92's than E46's though! :lol:

I still lean towards the 350Z's characteristics (certainly on coilovers anyway), more of a poleaxe to an M3's cutlass if you like, I just find it a bit more fun. Ive long said the E46 M3 is the best car in the world though, until E92's are under 10K Ill stick with that. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Doc - off topic

What the best coilovers in your opinion for mainly road use ? Looking for good comfort levels but cornering flat / controlled .

On topic - driven a few e46 m3 ..... Didn't do it for me , no faster in the real world than a HR zed , did handle better but having owned a 330 m sport previous it just seemed underwhelming to drive / live with .

The Cayman is a far better car ...... But so it should be .

I had the money ( budget of around 20k ) for a nice cayman when I bought my zed . I choose the zed because its just full of charisma and its just good value honest fun .

Edited by Bodyboarder81

Im still amazed with the HSD's on my 350, they really do seem to be all things to all men - great on broken surfaces, great on track and very comfortable on everything inbetween for next to bugger all money. In comparison the Bilstein shocks Ive got my 1er are too soft, lack control and feel like they are worn out, on track I predict the car will be pitching about like a gecko on ketamine :lol:

From what Ive read BC's are very good as well, the best Ive used personally were DW CS2's on an S13 which were just lovely .......... but Id definitely want to try KW V3's or maybe talking to MeisterR about the Nitron things they do. BTW, its no coincidence that the cost of those coilovers went up as you continued reading :lol:

• Like 1