Jump to content

coldel

Ex Team Member
  • Posts

    14,064
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by coldel

  1. You could just spend less time, checking the time? Simply check the time first thing in the morning then every hour when you get the urge, add 1 ...and presume that was tongue in cheek in terms of claiming you have 5 hours spare to do something!
  2. I am amazed that people really do buy into marketing done by companies that make you believe that it is such a hassle to take a phone out of a pocket, or remove a contactless card from a wallet. Our lives are just not THAT busy.
  3. I'm a Barclays man too, so I just set it up with my Amex instead. Again I really cannot see the advantage of using your watch over your phone, it might save a second, or two. My life is really not so busy I cant get my phone out. Or the advantage over a contactless credit/debit/Oyster card for that matter. Especially in the example of the London Underground... I just don't "get" it either. I used apple pay on the tube last weekend, it was amazeballz. BUT I'm not a London regular, so it only saved me queuing behind 300 chinese students at the ticket machine. This scenario is obviously a very limited use case However, the oyster thing is on the right, and I wear my watch on the left, so I just used my phone and thumbprint to applepay. It worked quickly and felt futuristic. If I was a London regular I wouldn't bother with an oyster card now, the phone was dead easy to use and one less thing in my wallet and never needs topping up. However, using it on my left handed watch would be a minor exercise in contortion You can just use your contactless debit card too - I go into london all the time and just use that - no extra or less hassle than using a phone.
  4. Is tattoandy going to beat me up now for saying he is potentially daft Everyone said iPhone would fail, same with iPad, but it didnt - but I can see the USP - with the watch at the moment it doesnt have that clear USP. Also interesting to see Google Glass come back up on the news today, but B2B only not consumer (sure Google Glass was meant to convert the way people live completely!)
  5. I can see that the idea is that everything can be done on one device, and I can see that having that device on your wrist rather than something that is in your pocket is more convenient - but v1 of Apple Watch is a complete waste of money as it is not device independent which is the whole point, it doesnt create convenience. Clearly Apple will rely on people daft enough to fork out to keep it going until they can make it workable, but you will always be stuck with the tiny screen so I cant see it replace the phone altogether...
  6. Again I really cannot see the advantage of using your watch over your phone, it might save a second, or two. My life is really not so busy I cant get my phone out. Amazing thing is that people are getting so excited about Apple Pay, when I was living in Japan back in 2006 I used my mobile phone all the time to GPS my way around and to pay for food/travel etc - amazing that its taken a decade for the western world to catch up.
  7. Me and some mates thought about it, most of us decided no, simply because of the excessive costs of the whole trip to end up watching Serbia vs Portugal or something. I would rather put the money towards some car bling and a proper weekend away somewhere I actually want to go!
  8. ...I stopped after 2 pages, congrats on making it that far through some utter garbage!
  9. I am not an MR2 expert by any stretch but £7 feels a bit high as the doc says. I see you are talking about putting a link to the sale ad on PM but a very quick few lines on what mods/condition puts the car at £7k? A quick scan through some for sale ads on PH puts the price range between £3 to £6.5k for a low mile fresh import from a dealer. It certainly would help in getting interest.
  10. Spent a week trying one out (we got a load in the innovation/digital team here so nicked one) and can say, even as an Apple fanboy, its not worth it in the slightest for me. Apps are painfully slow, its nothing more than a big digital watch when the phone is out of range and generally for things like calls and texts the larger screen on a phone is just quicker and easier point to point (ie the time I save not having to go through the whole process of removing my phone from my pocket vs raising my wrist to my ear etc). Clearly this is v1 and v5 will probably be a stand alone slimline watch with the phone done away with but thats when I will sink my money in, doing it now is a waste of money and you will find your watch out of date very soon with the subsequent updates (although stick it in the cupboard and wait ten years it will be worth something).
  11. coldel

    2003 350GT

    Somewhat perversely I like it! I dont know why! Actually makes the GTR wheels work better as well - nice job!
  12. The zed was certainly not the most 'fun' car I have have owned - but conversely its not the most boring which is what the thread is asking. I wonder what other cars P4RKS has owned that makes the 350z the most boring, I can only assume his lifetime ownership reads something like Ferrari 458, Lotus Exige etc.
  13. coldel

    My 911

    Good purchase pal - 911s are not really my thing (more common than a Focus around my way ) but sure it will bring many a smile per mile!
  14. Buy what you can afford - if you are planning on buying some bling for the car, drop that for a few months and put the money on the tyres. MPSS seems to be the king of tyres as I am sure you have seen from the responses but that is reflected in the price. Also consider your driving style, I generally dont drive fast and like to just take it easy, I have never owned MPSS, I have never had to crawl out of a ditch either. Its the driver that finds the ditch rather than the tyres in most instances I would say. Generally I would avoid any budget tyres like has been highlighted, if you are a guy who likes to pootle about mid range Falkens or the like are fine (had them on my zed for 18 months and I survived) but there are some good deals out there at the moment on the various sites so might be worth buying something on deal to get better performing tyres for the budget you have in mind. A useful site http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ although bear in mind half the reviews are people driving people carriers etc.
  15. Aye fair enough, although not many people clay either. I was referring to your everyday detailer who will not be machine polishing and be hand polishing with probably a limited time allowance, and probably not spending more than 10 minutes on each panel. If you leave old wax on, you are just layering more polish and wax on top of it. The simple and 100% surefire way to ensure you are not doing this is to simply use a detox shampoo not the normal one when you prep the car. There is a really good video on detailing world on this (which conveniently I cant find right now!) showing a guy doing half the car with a normal shampoo start then hand polishing/waxing vs the detox shampoo and the difference is visible to the naked eye. Just seems like a no brainer really.
  16. The machine polishing is the way to go for a really great finish, be aware though just picking up a machine and laying it on the car can damage the paint (as you mentioned I think) a few people on here have marred the paint work/removed lacquer etc. I got Wasso to do mine a few years ago and the black zed can really come out amazing: My tuppence worth in terms of your everyday guy regime: Every 6-8 weeks I use a Detox Shampoo to get rid of any patches of wax that might still be on my car, then if required apply the claying/tar removal, then I use a decent polish (have tried various things from SRP to Poorboys), then coat in a hard wax. The hard wax I am using at the moment is Victorias Concours Wax and have to say its pretty outstanding for the price (£35 for 150g) surpassing the Dodo Supernatural I was using before. I just then wash the car weekly (or sometimes more often!) to keep it as free of contaminants as possible. I think a fair amount of people forget to use the detox shampoo, it strips all the old wax off whereas a normal shampoo wont and it will leave you with a patchy surface (which is invisible to the naked eye). Sign up to detailingworld forum as well, loads of good hints and tips on there.
  17. My zed had C5UPE on it I quite liked it actually.
  18. coldel

    Goodridge kit

    This image is on the 350z.com site selling goodridge hoses for the 350z DE if it helps
  19. Apparently your nose and ears never stop growing in size throughout your entire life...
  20. coldel

    GT-Four

    Thanks mate, I am loving the car, it is so capable in any situation be it cruising a motorway or attacking B roads. Yes was thinking about the thermostat - it had a new one put on before I bought it (guy spent a small fortune on replacing just about everything OEM) but its a standard one I think. I havent had any problems with temp so far with water temp sitting quite nicely midway, even after some spirited driving yesterday down to the south coast in 25 degrees of sunshine it never waivered. I have removed all the insulation also so you can see (somewhat scary!) the heat escaping through the vent in the middle of the bonnet which must really help. Almost snapped up some used Rota GTR wheels yesterday, the Team Dynamics wheels are about the only thing I am not 100% sold on on the car at the moment...
  21. Good work fella!
  22. coldel

    GT-Four

    I didn't manage to pull any of da fit birds 'init yesterday but I did manage to give the car a good 3 hours of cleaning heaven. G3 detox shampoo (Halfords special but surprisingly good!), followed by some Megs Ultimate Pre-wax Glaze then some Victorias Concours Wax. The Megs stuff was hard going and took quite a bit of buffing, prefer the Poorboys stuff actually, the Vics wax was outstanding though! Read some reviews on it when searching for good waxes for red cars and took a bit of a punt on it as I usually use Dodo Supernatural but this really is amazing stuff - easy on easy off and actually got to see how well it beaded as it rained last night and could check on it this morning.
  23. coldel

    GT-Four

    Ha! They would be 18 years old at least! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  24. coldel

    GT-Four

    I bought an Alpine SWE 815 - 8 inch unit, have to say it absolutely kicks! Great investment.
  25. coldel

    GT-Four

    Few more bits done today: 1. Fixed the amp/sub - turned out it was just a fuse (cheers Veilside!) and I also tidied away all the wires etc 2. Got the head unit sorted so that it wasn't on a permanent live 3. Bought some red metal edging to go on the metal panel at the front of the engine bay - good spot by South Coast Workshop that these plates tend to work a line into the rads which are plastic topped 4. Took off the TRD badge on the front - actually made me realise how much of a respray the front grille needs! Pics:
×
×
  • Create New...