Jump to content

coldel

Ex Team Member
  • Posts

    14,064
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by coldel

  1. Probably to do with the post being more than a decade old...hell of a thread resurrection there Oliver
  2. I think if you put a lot of money into premium bonds you get a reasonable return as you increase your odds. If people are sticking in $5k then over the course of the year the average earning is around £50. Clearly some people get 'lucky' and earn more, but that's not a function of premium bonds being better than a savings account, it literally means you got lucky in the draw and many people didn't.
  3. Funny you should say that considering the majority of millionaires supposedly drive cheap cars. The ones who drive around in fancy cars can often barely afford them (if at all). Source: The internet. When I moved to Paris I used to pop down the Auld Alliance pub to watch the footy on my own. Went to watch an England match and ended up sat next to an old English guy (about 65 years old) and we got chatting, turns out he lived on Ile Saint Louis also in Paris so we had something in common as well as football. Anyway, become drinking and football watching buddies. He flew Easyjet back to England etc. Only found out from a friend visiting him that he was an insurance/finance guy and sold his own business for £198m a couple of years before Anyway back on topic with Ferrari, they are not all that bad from my experience (clearly not of buying!) but when I organised a club trip to Ferrari in Egham they welcomed us in knowing none of us were in the price bracket, laid us up cakes and drinks, the regional marketing manager popped in to say hi etc. We spent an hour sitting in cars taking photos like a bunch of sugared up school kids
  4. But a Fiesta ST is certainly more entertaining than a leaf and on par in terms of used prices. Auto boxes also from 10-15 years ago are much different beasts to autos today.
  5. 100% positive it will not lose this amount of power, Performance bikes magazine once tested a GSXR 1000 on standard fuel 95ron, BP Ultimate 97ron and Shell V Power 99ron, they emptied the tank completely between between testing on the dyno on the same day so conditions were no different the bike overall gained 1.7bhp using Shell V Power from standard fuel. I am certainly no expert on Bikes, but if this bike is set up to take normal unleaded then putting in super will result in no increase in power (or marginal) whereas I am not sure the opposite is true.
  6. To be honest she has about 20 songs on it which she has bought, and barely uses it. She got it second hand last year and just cannot get on with it. So there is not much to actually copy over. I just wanted to capture everything I could but also ensure any passwords/information she has entered is not retained when sold on. It should be a nice little bit of pocket money when she sells it.
  7. Love the old Stingrays actually (but hey you might have guessed I like older cars given my recent purchases!)
  8. Horses for courses I guess at the end of the day Some people just want to get from A to B, so driving is a chore if anything. Lots of these types of people about who suit EV's perfectly. At the moment you have the early efforts like a Leaf which have a range of about 100 miles and 0-60 in about the same distance, look dreadful and which will cost you a fair whack to buy even used. Or the Tesla stuff which still is priced way out of kilter with what most of your A to B people are willing to spend on a new car - I appreciate the US has cheap EVs coming out but the UK car market as far as I am aware is in no way directly comparable in price on cars - your bog standard Mustang V6 is something like $25k vs £35k for something equivalent in the UK. I also hear some interesting comments about how EVs are going to take over the car market, but unless something exceptional happens outside that impacts the car market they wont be anywhere near dominance for another 20 years or so. 35m cars in the UK, 2m new cars sold each year. I think around 2-3% of new car sales are EV currently. To get to say for arguments sake 18m would make it more dominant then in basic terms you need 100% of all new car sales to be EVs for 9 years to reach 50% share, in basic terms. I think a more reasonable estimate, based on rising Oil prices etc. is something like a 20 year lead time before EVs take over. At a reasonable guess!
  9. I still have my old Mid 2009 macbook pro I use daily, just added more memory (8gb now haha) and replaced the battery myself rather than pay Apple £100 for the privilege of the five minute job. Runs great again, very impressed! Anyway, missus has a similar aged iMac that she wants shot of and replaced with a Windows PC (yes I know...I know...) but she has a small iTunes library so: 1. Can you simply copy the library over to the PC, de-authorise her iTunes account on the Mac, install iTunes on her PC and it should all link up fine? 2. Anyone recommend where to sell off this Mac quickly and easily i.e. a business that buys old Macs?
  10. Sold - thread locked
  11. Well done for organising Chirag - great to see trader deals and owner participation like this.
  12. Impressive numbers, thank god enjoying driving isn't all about numbers though. I'm more with the comment above about the great sounds of cars than with something silent with a tablet display on the dash that in any modern city cannot ever use the full power of the car in any case
  13. We have been a bit lazy with our savings, we have a few maxed out 123 accounts plus another maxed out savings account but interest rates are just shocking. I would like to think I would be more pro-active in switching etc but the time required to work it all through for a couple of extra hundred quid a year really isn't worth it, have so much to deal with as it is. Saw Martin mention premium bonds, they are an option but one persons happy story is anothers sad one, thats how it works as the winnings pot is divided up unevenly more people lose out than win. A couple of handy links here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds-calculator/#result
  14. As above, looks like a typical 'create new account bid up own car for sale' behaviour. Also saw it on Facebook as well on one of the forum pages I think?
  15. Just seen this, amazing, utterly amazing. Great story, two hours disappeared in a torrent of fantastic story telling, action, sadness and all wrapped up in the genuine Star Wars look and feel. Loved it when Cassian and Jyn bump into the two characters on Jedha who go on to get the sharp end of Obi Wans lightsaber in the New Hope. Lots more little nods to the Star Wars universe throughout it was fantastic. All the way through to the final 5 minutes when they explain how Leia gets the plans and gets on board the Tantive IV. Only thing missing was the many Bothans that were meant to have died getting the plans...?
  16. All cars should be built like Volvos. Function over form, I mean what does it matter what a car looks like, its just about getting from A to B. So make all cars silver in colour as its the easiest one to maintain and repair.
  17. Gumtree is free, means you get a lot of time wasters, but I once bought a cracking car on Gumtree so it does work.
  18. My wife bought a flat above a dry cleaners many years ago, it had bodged work done on the kitchen. She went on holiday and came home a few days later to find the front door smashed in (it was a ground floor entrance) with police tape over it. Turned out whilst away for a few days the kitchen pipework blew open, flooded her flat, leaked down into the dry cleaners below overnight, wrecked all the clothes that were stored in there and all the machinery, police had to smash the door in to get entry and allow fire brigade to switch it all off! Thank goodness for insurance...
  19. Sold all my cars through eBay adverts. I also include videos in my online ads generally, starting up, walk arounds, exhaust sound/smoke check etc.
  20. Sold - thread locked
  21. How many times do we see accidents when cars accelerate too hard on poor tyres, bad conditions etc. and simply over do it lose grip, lose control. Also people crossing the road but the car is up the road and puts its foot down much quicker than a normal car, cars pulling out of side turnings, people having accidents doing the grand prix off the lights trying to beat someone else. All acceleration issues. Just make all cars accelerate the same slower conservative speed, have the same top speed to abide by the rules using GPS location tracking restricting the engines, and just keep going - I mean why would you not want this? It will save lives after all...
  22. People are too lazy to concentrate already, yoy just have to look at the numbers of people glued to their phones whilst driving. You surely cannot really believe the roads would be safer if cars didn't have ABS, EPS, powet steering, etc??? Most people drive to get from A to B not to have fun. I've never had the preemptive braking come on in our Lexus or even the TC system on public roads, but am not stupid enough to assume I have the skills needed to avoid every possible accident. Every single one of us have been distracted whilst driving, if you haven't been than your lying to your self. Most of the time you get away with it but if all the dots are lined up all it takes is one glance away from the road ahead and you could end up changing your life forever or even worse someone elses. Maybe its because I've seen too many people in ITU due to RTAs, and since becoming a dad the thought of anything like a RTA involving my daughter really is unthinkable. Personally I don't understand why legislation isn't already in place to mandate this kind of preemptive safety equipment, the ability to avoid or reduce the impact of a crash will save just as many lives as seat belts and air bags. That kind of summarises all my points though. People just want to get from A to B, if cars get to the point they are automated why have a car? Why spend a huge amount of money on an automated car that depreciates when you could invest the money and just Uber or public transport your way around? Clearly anyone wanting automated driving really doesn't want to drive so why own a car when there are other ways of getting around. I never said it makes no sense not having this device, however it only solves one issue, it doesnt solve 90% of other accidents, I guess other devices will come out which do start to solve other types of accidents. So if its all about safety, why are cars allowed to go over 70mph? Why are they allowed to accelerate to 60 in under 5 seconds which is clearly dangerous? Surely all this should be restricted by law to save lives?
  23. I remember you taking a punt and heading over there for it, must admit I probably wouldn't have, but hey doffs cap to braver guy who looks like he got a great deal Just seems like I got to get over to East Anglia sooner rather than later though....see if your old Nissan can keep up with the Toyota
  24. As above (and discussed at length on quite a few threads previously) copper are fine for 10k miles so if you do low mileage and service regularly its well worth saving 80% of cost for copper. Otherwise go for the others. It really is that simple (also noting about cold grades also)
  25. Depends if the car behind has noticed at all I guess! I get the safety aspect of this, but also see many posts on here now about how intelligent solutions are taking over the control of the car. My view really is that of course it will work for the reason it has been created but some people become lazier and less focused on the road due to a false sense of security thus allowing other mistakes to happen that otherwise wouldn't have - you only have to look at the amount of incidents where people blindly trust sat navs and drive off cliffs or into canals and the like. Its all too easily done. There are a majority out there that just drive to get to places, there are some like most of us on here who drive for the sheer pleasure. In terms of automation (as inferred on the title) if it becomes self driving then I would not bother owning a car and use Uber/hire when necessary. I cannot see the point of paying potentially huge sums and upwards for a car that does everything for you if you just want to get point to point.
×
×
  • Create New...