Stuck between 18s and 19s. What sizes work best?

Mikevv

Hi guys, as I'm sure there are a few threads similar, but none provide conclusive results IMO, I am going to ask myself.

My tyres might need replacing in about 6 months, but I can always get them early if I find a good deal :D

I'm currently running 225/45/18 and 245/45/18 on stock Rays wheels.

I was thinking of going BIG but I'm not sure how big I can go before it ruins both the look and drive of my car. I use it only for street use, and occasional B road thrashing.

I was just curious which option would be the smoothest and most decent ride?

I guess the stock set up, but it doesn't look quite right to me YET

My main three concerns are sticking outside the car, want to try and avoid that look, rubbing, and TC/ABS madness

I want Pirelli P Zero tyres, as I really like the tyres, and MPSS seemed too expensive in some sizes. I did some research and I'm happy to pay the prices I found ,as a " mid range " tyre, such as Falken in 225/45/18 costs like £75, why not spend a bit more and get premium aye ;)

These are the tyres I'm faced with, the GREEN ARE FOR 19 INCH

FRONT OPTIONS:

225/40/18

225/45/18 - STOCK SIZE

245/40/18

245/45/18

245/45/19

245/40/19

REAR OPTIONS:

245/40/18

245/45/18 - STOCK SIZE

265/40/18

265/45/18

275/40/18

275/45/18

275/40/19

275/45/19

I don't mind a rough ride or road noise, as I love the raw feel of the Z , although longer motorway journeys might be TYRING... haha had to say it.

But in all seriousness, I like the raw feel and sound so that's okay

The 19 inch are on here purely for future plans, I might keep the RAYS for winter wheels and get some Linea Corse C818 for summer, hence the bigger sizes only, as they will (theoretically) last twice as long :D

Like I said, no MPSS as they are DAMNED expensive, and I feel Pirelli is a good enough alternative and as far as I'm willing to stretch for tyres.

Thanks for the help guys, and my apologies for the ramble, and million tyre size thread!

I was going to do this myself, but bought a 370 instead. It's OEM fitment in the states.

Only ever saw this set up fitted in the UK once, with theses actual wheels.

350z wheels

Track 18/19" v.2

18/19-inch Track and GT wheels V2

Super-light Forged Aluminum Alloy

Front

Size: 18x9.0

Offset: +30mm

Weight: 21 lbs 4 oz

Tire: Bridgestone RE050A 245/40/18

Rear

Size: 19x10.0

Weight: 29 lbs 8 oz

Tire: Bridgestone RE050A 265/35/19

http://www.350z-tech.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:2006_350z_005.jpg

......just an idea as you said you were stuck between 18 & 19s - so have both!

I was going to do this myself, but bought a 370 instead. It's OEM fitment in the states.

Only ever saw this set up fitted in the UK once, with theses actual wheels.

350z wheels

Track 18/19" v.2

18/19-inch Track and GT wheels V2

Super-light Forged Aluminum Alloy

Front

Size: 18x9.0

Weight: 21 lbs 4 oz

Tire: Bridgestone RE050A 245/40/18

Rear

Size: 19x10.0

Weight: 29 lbs 8 oz

Tire: Bridgestone RE050A 265/35/19

http://www.350z-tech...06_350z_005.jpg

......just an idea as you said you were stuck between 18 & 19s - so have both!

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't really like those :S

I was thinking 19s to fill up the wheel wells a bit, but I'm not sure what sizes to get, like maybe up it to a 8,5 or 9J in the front and then 9,5 to 10J at the back :D

Right now I'm more concerned about getting correct tyres, then adjust the rim accordingly

On 19 "'rims you want to run a 245/255 .35 profile this is on a 9.5 " rim . The rear 275/285 . 35 profile on a 10.5 " rim . The amount it fills the arch will largely depend on the offset you choose ..... On the zed you want a minimum of 25 offset ...

And yes 19" look better imo but weigh a tad more and give a very ( very ) slightly harsher ride

Edited by Bodyboarder81

Without being rude, your not asking anything new and it reads a bit confusing. :blush:

Many off the wheel threads would answer your questions regarding what tyre sizes for what size wheels. There are also a few 18s vs 19s type threads.

The general consensus is that 18s will be a bit more comfortable and arguably handle a little better. 19s generally look better as they 'appear' to fill the arch more and suit the size of the car a bit better but are usually heavier and compromise a little ride quality.

However, the make, style, offset and weight of the wheel make a huge difference to the look and handling and likewise the make, size, sidewall stiffness and pressure of the tyres used will make a huge difference.

For example my 19" OZ Superleggera III with MPSS feel a million times better on the road than my OEM 18's on Bridgestones even though the ride is a little less forgiving.

I would suggest you look at pictures of Zeds with various wheels / sizes and decide what you like the look of first, then come back and tell us I like 'these' wheels in 18's or 19's or whatever you choose, than we can make suggestions on the best offset, width and tyre size to choose. :)

• Like 1

a big difference when it comes to wheels is design and colour choice

Dark wheel seem smalelr and dish wheels look smaller

so if you went for a 18 dark dished wheel like below it would look tiny

es6blk-600x397.jpg

But if you went for a 18 inch white wheel like below with the spoke running to the lip the wheel appears larger

IMG_3548-L.jpg+

or for an example

18s in black

5618_1.jpg

18s in white

whiterims6.jpg

• Like 2

have a butchers on here for inspiration of sizes, offsets and how different wheels look.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/79656-all-encompassing-wheel-size-offset-thread/

tyre sizes are easy, they need to be within 1% of the original sizes for the TCS to be happy.

most common size for 19s is 245/35/19 front, 275/35/19 rear.

P Zeros are shocking tyres. You may not want MPSS, but in stock sizes they're close enough in price. I'd actually rate the 453 as significantly better than P Zeros, and by some margin.

Also, if you're willing to shell out for new wheels then an extra £200 on decent tyres that will last you so much longer than anything else, you're actually saving money!

For me, the biggest downside to bigger wheels is the weight. Unless you spend £££ on ultra light wheels, then you're adding weight to the worst possible place on the car which will make you accelerate slower, increase braking distances, and affect the turn-in for the worse. You'd be better off lowering it and changing the colour of the wheels if you want it to look better.

I was going to go for Linea Corse C818 wheels in 19, love the look, colour would be either gunmetal or silver.

Why are P Zero's so bad?

my dad has them on his 330d and they stick like the brown stuff to blanket.

In the dry, sure. In the wet, they're horrid, and the key part is that they're horrid with no feel. Something like the much-missed VUS weren't great in the wet either, but they were so communicative that it really didn't matter.

In the dry, sure. In the wet, they're horrid, and the key part is that they're horrid with no feel. Something like the much-missed VUS weren't great in the wet either, but they were so communicative that it really didn't matter.

What tyre would you suggest then, in the similar price range? £150 a rear is about the most I feel comfortable spending, but not if it means getting a £150 budget that's wide over a smaller, quality product.

MPSS seem to be a good £20-£30 more in most sizes and from what I read, damn soft. Yeah it's not a big amount, but I genuinely thought Pirelli were a good choice and they seem to last damn well as a result of maybe less grip on the MPSS.

Edited by Mikevv

MPSS definitely aren't soft, they're actually quite hard which makes it more surprising that they offer so much feedback and grip.

Look at it this way: They may cost you an extra 20%, but you'll get 40% more life out of them and that's ignoring any performance benefits. Any way you look at it, that's a great deal, and that's why even people who normally think I'm mad have been converted to these things. How much is a set of decent wheels, £1500? Now add on the cost of the tyres, lets say £800, you're looking at a total spend of £2300. Make those tyres MPSS and it's £2500, which isn't even 10% extra, and when you're spending that kind of money are you even going to notice another couple of hundred quid?

Sure, it's man maths at its finest, but there's also a horrendous amount of sensible logic in there too. :)

My issue really is down to money, I had another look last night and they seem about £80 all in different, which for the levels of grip everyone describes, might be worth considering.

Now I just need the sort of mileages people get out of a set?

My dad ( yes I'm still a baby ) has the P zero's and he HAMMERS the daylights out of the car, AWD helps but he's got about 12k miles on the tyres, looking at around 4-5mm tread left in my less than expert opinion.

I just worry about having to replace the MPSS at 10k miles for the rear. I can handle 15-20k but any less is a bit bad.

Depending on driving style, but I'm expecting to get 15-20K out of the ones on my BMW. Certainly that would tally up with the usage I've seen on other cars.

Obviously sliding around a lot will reduce that, and a lot of pootling around on the motorway will extend it.

Just to echo Ekona, P Zeros are rubbish for the money, I cant understand why they get fitted to so much OE. Im not going to check for you but Id imagine the Kumho KU39, Eagle F1 and Yoko S-drive are all ballpark, Id take any of them over a P Zero :)

I hate all of you forum people! Make me want to spend more and more money. Decided to take my own advice, but cheap, buy twice!

Thanks guys. Definitely want MPSS now, but just down to sizing. Either keep the Rays and refurb them and get 275s out back with 245s out front, or sell the Rays for money towards some Linea Corse C818 wheels for 19 inch.... Long sleepless lights trying to choose :(