Knock Knock at the front

mrkieran23

Hey guys,

So my 54 plate Zed is knocking at the front... ( i know, could be anything ) looking for tips or secrets lol

I have checked everything under there for movement and had a mechanic look over it too and we cannot find anything suspicious,

It has had a front banana arm i think its called replaced and you can see the bush is sitting middle, had the pri bar in both ends to check for movement, admittedly both sides i can make move a Tad but i imagine that was normal, even the new one has a slight move to it when pushing hard.

The knock is when going over unstable ground and is irritating.

Any clues on what i should check? checked the lower arms, drop links, top mounts, wheels etc...

Could do with some fresh checks lol

just a thought.......Chris and i replaced my entire suspension pending our Nurembergring trip. Recently and since doing the work ie replacing anti roll s drop links etc i got a knock over rough ground.found the fault to be in the drop link.....worth a check

Everything I've read suggests that the banana arm can appear to show no play to the naked eye but still be shot. It's pretty much impossible to replicate the force created by 1.5 tonnes of metal crashing over a bump. If the noise is the same side as the old banana arm, my guess would be it's that. This thread - http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/62289-problem-solvedmystery-remains-banana-arm/ pretty much says the same thing.

• Like 1

Could still be a banana arm. I had the same issue shortly after getting my car and when the guys at infiniti replaced them with my new nissan ones they found the damaged parts were replicas. Obviously the aftermarket ones weren't the same quality and had given out very quickly. my car had 83k miles at the time so if the originals lasted 60-70k miles then the aftermarkets barely lasted.

Edited by martybhoy

I had this issue couldn't find movement on any end until i removed the arm .

There was a small amount of play in the ball joint so i replaced the whole arm.

This is what i found when i removed the dust cover of the old knackered arm.

Sounded exactly like this when it was on the car too.

hope this helps.

th_20150526_193852_zps1ego91ez.jpg

Balls lol my thoughts were along these lines....

The garage that put the arm on said in a passing comment that the arm cost £180 from the main dealer.

Now am i right to assume that it would be much more than this from Nissan?

And can anybody advise on a reputable place to purchase one or am i best looking at one from Nissan?

Balls lol my thoughts were along these lines....

The garage that put the arm on said in a passing comment that the arm cost £180 from the main dealer.

Now am i right to assume that it would be much more than this from Nissan?

And can anybody advise on a reputable place to purchase one or am i best looking at one from Nissan?

I think the obligatory response in this case is :pmzmanalex:

yes i have looked at getting aftermarket ones but i am unsure of quality... i need them done as well... you see the problem with finding the problem on the ramp is the ball joint rattle can only be made with 2 toes of road car jerking on a bump road to make the noise so the pry bar is not going to find much.

• 4 weeks later...

Had exactly the same problem couple of weeks back had a garage check the compression arms (banana arms) up in the air on a ramp and could not get any play in either.

Following advice on here I purchased 2 from ZMANALEX with new cones and bushes, had them fitted by TDI North in Warrington all absolutely perfect now :)